Old 09-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Fall

Wifey B: So Fall is here. What does it mean to your boating? Means different wherever you are.

To us it would normally mean some wonderful boating to come although out boating has been very much limited by weather recently and for at least another week by combination of weather and other priorities. Still we hope to get back at it soon. But then where? So many of the best fall boating areas have been so damaged. Normally we'd be thinking perhaps Key West and the west coast of FL. Or what about the Caribbean? The Bahamas perhaps? I know for many of you it's the opposite, boating season ending. I feel sadness thinking of that.

Now, for all those who think we don't have seasons in South Florida, we do so, even with colors of fall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	21762217_1973504806260573_7726254536293061842_n.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	68813
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Ak
Vessel Name: Nadezdha
Vessel Model: 1972 Beaver 36
I like the license plate comment!

For me fall boating means keep a closer eye on Wx forecasts, keep a rifle handy for 4-legged food on the beaches, less boaters around and I can finally fire up the diesel heater without being run out of the wheelhouse by its heat. Also less fish around but better dock prices.

Your possible destinations sound exotic to me...
BrotherDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I like the license plate comment!

For me fall boating means keep a closer eye on Wx forecasts, keep a rifle handy for 4-legged food on the beaches, less boaters around and I can finally fire up the diesel heater without being run out of the wheelhouse by its heat. Also less fish around but better dock prices.

Your possible destinations sound exotic to me...
Wifey B: They are, but this year they're likely to not be. Still, beautiful people in these areas who need to know we haven't forgotten them. Just imagining Puerto Rico where we were in January, the Virgin Islands where we were in February, Key West and Naples where we were last in December.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Fall, unfortunately, means it's about time to haul the boat and winterize her for a six month sleep. On the other hand, it's a glorious season full of color and change. And, at the end of fall, we head for Florida for warmth and sunshine, if there is a Florida left after this hurricane season.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
This is our first year on the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers, so for us fall means (1) cool for free, (2) beautiful colors and (3) shorter days.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Hutchinson Island
Vessel Name: Mary Jo
Vessel Model: 1984 Albin 27 FC
We have been attending Rendezvous and taking week-long cruises to practice our cruising skills in preparation for our first trip south. With all the hurricanes, we want to be sensitive to the needs of the locals and will head south as planned, but take it one day at a time and see what makes sense. If The Keys and Bahamas are ready for some visitors, then great! If we have to turn around and stay elsewhere, it's still going to hopefully be warmer than Virginia, and we will still be meeting new people and visiting new places. Really excited!
Bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
One boat gets winterized and covered followed by unsummerizing the other.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Fall for us means the long summer cruise through BC and SE Alaska is over. It was a thoroughly enjoyable summer, despite a fair bit more cooler and wetter weather than in many recent years.

We're tied up at Liberty Bay marina in Poulsbo WA, working on boat projects and end-of season cleanup. Somewhat sad, but peaceful - no need to listen to the weather forecast. Soon will be preparing the boat to be left for the winter. May do some early spring cruising, but no more long-distance cruising until May.

"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Beautiful pictures.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Up here it means the storms are blowing in from the West one behind the other, the marine forecasts change almost on an hourly basis. We get one good day at a time, not enough to travel but still get out on the water for a day and possible the night.

It also means that you have almost as much dark in the day as light, and you're going to be running the heater. You anchor early, and securely because of the potential weather changes that come through so quickly.

Many of the boats are already out of the water, or covered with framing and wrap for the season (in the water or out). Very few recreational boaters left out there by now...

We have a tanner crab season opening the first of October, so I am holding out through the first week of October before I go dry for the winter.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Fall finds Slow Hand and I finally off of the Illinois, Mississippi, and Ohio rivers. Currently cruising Kentucky lake and the Tennessee river. Feels like summer here. Can't wait for Fall, leaves changing and temperatures dropping.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Fall is my favorite time of year to be out on the river. I put my enclosures on last week when it was 90f so it was much easier to get all the snaps fastened than waiting for cooler weather. Overnight anchoring with cooler weather is very enjoyable because cooking great meals doesn't put a lot of heat in the boat. We've another 2+ months of boating here on the upper Mississippi, the anchoring and wading around in shallow water is almost over with cooler water temperatures.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgillicuddy View Post
beautiful pictures.
wow!!!!
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #14
Guru

Wifey B: When we lived in the frigid north.... Ok, it was North Carolina so not frigid I guess but seems cold now.

We would continue boating as long as possible. Really boated a lot up to Thanksgiving. Hubby pulled up our Sea Time submissions and we averaged (now we were both working full time) 9 days in Sept, 7 days in Oct, 4 in Nov, 3 in Dec, 3 in Jan, 4 in Feb, 5 in March, 6 in April, 8 in May. That is only days of 4 or more hours. Some of the best times were when there was a bad weather streak but then it was nice for a couple of days and we could jump on them. We only typically could get in about 38 days in June, July and August so 49 our of 87 average days were done outside the major season. I couldn't grasp having a boat in NC and just letting it sit all winter.

I know if we'd lived in Michigan or Minnesota or somewhere it would have been different but we would have boated till the very end of the season. In NC, we were always looking for a little weather break.

I'm suffering right now from boat withdrawal. Hubby turned me into an addict. We plan on getting out on the water next weekend. So anxious.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: When we lived in the frigid north.... Ok, it was North Carolina so not frigid I guess but seems cold now.

I'm suffering right now from boat withdrawal. Hubby turned me into an addict. We plan on getting out on the water next weekend. So anxious.
Why aren't you in Tennessee or wherever your Loop boat is?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Why aren't you in Tennessee or wherever your Loop boat is?

Ted
Wifey B: Season called on account of hurricanes. We made a trip to South Texas and then returned home for Irma. We've actually been working, helping out in our business since Irma. We may yet get a trip back to TN for a week or so, but it may wait until next year. We left the boat in Nashville and sent crew there to move it back to the TN River. It's sort of tucked in for the winter but can always be untucked. We also have a few individuals we're trying to help as well. I haven't been on a boat since September 1. (Well, not totally true as for a day after Irma when our streets were blocked we took the CC to downtown FLL.) Goal is to get out on one this Sunday for the day, then maybe plan ahead a bit. We feel like we'll be comfortable getting away from here in another week or two. We have no idea where we'll go when we can get out. Don't know which places we might be a help and which ones we'd just be a hindrance. Really thinking of those hurt so bad by the hurricanes but need some relief and fun too.

That's one thing we're seeing now around town, a lot of mentally exhausted people. We're pretty much back very close to norm in our businesses. I can't even imagine how the people in Puerto Rico feel right now. It's hard to think of them and not cry.

Just a lot going on and priorities over boating. Not being able to boat for a while is such a minimal item not even deserving of complaining or whining when there are others who have no home to live in, have no electricity, have no water, have nothing.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #17
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Except for the rain being involved in everything, I like winter the best. Except for commercial users, the water is mostly empty. The kayakers are no longer looking thru your portholes, the jet skis are gone, it's quiet.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #18

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
anchored in a quiet bay listening to the snow hit the water
I even ride my motorcycle more this time of year
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #19
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
For us, fall means winterizing the boat, the pool and the house in preparation for us leaving for AZ.

I started on the boat last week, blowing out all the water lines and draining strainers. I have yet to position the heaters around in the cabin and lazarette and getting the Kasco deicer pump ready to be installed.

We return from AZ in time to do the Christmas Lighted Boat Parade the first weekend of December, then the Annual New Years Day cruise, then it's back to AZ until the middle of March.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
For us, fall means winterizing the boat, the pool and the house in preparation for us leaving for AZ.

I started on the boat last week, blowing out all the water lines and draining strainers. I have yet to position the heaters around in the cabin and lazarette and getting the Kasco deicer pump ready to be installed.

We return from AZ in time to do the Christmas Lighted Boat Parade the first weekend of December, then the Annual New Years Day cruise, then it's back to AZ until the middle of March.
I've got a long time friend who loves Arizona, but still have to ask, "what do you do in Arizona in place of boating?" I assume one or more hobbies or activities fills in that time.