Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Mule Good one

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #22
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Are there marking requirements for trap buoys in FL and other parts? There are in MA. To trap you need to have a license, properly marked floats, and properly marked traps.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Are there marking requirements for trap buoys in FL and other parts? There are in MA. To trap you need to have a license, properly marked floats, and properly marked traps.
Off the top of my head, in SC, waterfront property owner is allowed two pots within a certain distance of his dock. I don't recall if they have to be marked but as I posted above, a property owner could easily plant "fake" traps and put just any random markings on them.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Southampton
:-)
Recb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
In Texas recreational crabbing (6 pots) is part of your fishing license. Commercial is unlimited number of pots and floats have to be only 6 x 6 x 6. Not easy to see in any chop. The barges do a great job of keeping the waterways clear but the bayou's are pretty well packed. Only once have I had to move on to find another anchorage though so it's not that bad.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
I think Florida is still 5 per person but not sure of that
Old 11-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #27
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
I don't know the answer but I know some property owners along the Indian River Lagoon in Brevard county make a hobby of stringing up trap pot buoys that float in to their properties after the ropes have rotted or a boat has run over the line. Normally each trapper would have a unique painting arrangement to identify their traps when collecting the crab claws. I can tell you (real) crab pots are not a favorite of property owners either and some have been known to go out at night and cut the buoys. I never did that on my property but I have been known to make threatening gestures from the shore that advised the crabber to get away from my land. They know they can't police their pots and they have money in each pot.

I am well aware of the anchorage around the Mather Bridge on the Banana River as I used to keep my old boat there. Every winter, there was a huge and growing crowd of boats anchored on both sides of the bridge. Just south of the 520 causeway in Cocoa is another favorite anchoring spot. Every year, I've noticed more and more boats there.

So, why don't more boaters add line cutters their shafts?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Donson

good point on the line cutters

Recreational Stone Crabbing

Commercial Regulations for Stone Crab

I was told years ago by a FWC officer as I was pulling rope off my prop ( not this boat)
"If the bouoy is not properly marked feel free to cut them )

this was in response to my situation at the time and could not get into my parents dock because of cluttered traps

the only one i cut was the one on my prop
Old 11-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #29
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
So, why don't more boaters add line cutters their shafts?

I first thought this thread was about manufactured seafood products. After reading the thread though I must ask the same question Donsan did.

I have no traps to speak of in my area and am still considering adding line cutters to my shaft at haulout time. "Accidentally" cut the lines of the traps in question and be happy.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #30
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I ran five stone crab traps a few years ago. It was fun but it would be cheaper to buy the claws. I lost four of my five traps. Later I found one of them on a day when the water was very clear. It was on the bottom where I had left it, the float was gone.

A friend of mine traps commercially. Despite the regulation requiring it, he doesn't put floats on his traps. The floats just tell people the traps are there to steal. He ties them together with about sixty feet of line running between them. All he has to do is find the first one and then work his way down the line.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #31
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
The neighbors at my fishing camp in Cocodrie, Louisiana are crabbers, for Blue Crabs, they have to keep their traps out of the way of the shrimpers, the crab traps cause a mess if they get up in the shrimp nets. Crabbers will pull them out of the nets and stomp them flat then toss them up on the bank.
We have to buy an endorsement on the saltwater license $15.00 for up to 10 traps, A saltwater lic. is $5.00 for seniors, I have six I just hang them off of my bulkhead and docks, baited with fish heads I usually pick up a 12-18 keepers overnight
Old 11-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #32
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
While anchored in Garrison Bay on San Juan Island this summer, my wife made a similar comment after seeing the many crab floats in front of a very nice waterfront home, thinking the home owner put them there to keep boaters from anchoring. I decided to drop a crab pot there and pulled up a couple of keepers in about an hour. I assumed the others were real after that.

drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote