Fairways Fisher 38 trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarli

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pandion
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
Hi
I'm trying to find more information about these English built trawlers called Fairways Fisher 38. I understand only 10 where built so there is not much out there...
any thoughts
thanks

There is one for sale in Maine (Gray & Gray), unfortunately a twin screw.

Here is a link to "FOG", the Fisher Owners Group, it looks like there are some 38s in there maybe you can contact them.
FISHER OWNERS GROUP

Brooksie wrote,
"There is one for sale in Maine (Gray & Gray), unfortunately a twin screw"

Really :confused:

I'd consider that a plus.

And a PO has paid for it too.

I think there is one for sale in san diego. I am familiar with the fisher motorsailors. I can't imagine the trawlers are much different. My advice is if you are interested in one for sale, go check it out. I'm sure it was a solid boat when it was built. But remember the vast majority of 30-40 year old boats suffer from lack of maintenence and will be projects.

But remember the vast majority of 30-40 year old boats suffer from lack of maintenence and will be projects.

Depending on the quality of the builder the boat might or might not need some new mechanical pieces.

I doubt seriously that any English builder would do Chinese Composite as it could not be sold locally.

A solid hull and deck is the key to weather its worth upgrades.

Tossing a few antique items like a pressure Water pump, and toilet and adding a waste tank is no big deal.

This boat looks like an imitation.

On the real thing the engines are too big and the rudders too small. Small rudders fine in port since it's a twin but stern seas could overwhelm them easily IMO.

TAD do you know that boat in my pic?

Attachments

• DSCF0447 copy.jpg
    DSCF0447 copy.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 769
We have one of the 38's here in Ketchikan, Owner extended the stern about 4 feet and the job was professional. Incorporated additional fuel/or/water tankage. Owner indicated increase of speed at normal RPM although that was not the object of the extension, more for fishing comforts.
Al-Ketchikan-(Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

The Fairways 38 was designed by David Freeman (Wyatt and Freeman) of Fisher Motorsailer fame. When I got in the business in 1999, we sold a Fairways 38 to a couple from Oregon who still (I think) own her today. They had the boat taken to the East Coast and spent several years cruising up and down the coast from Maine to Florida. Years later they told me that everywhere they went, people would come up to them and want to know all the details about the boat.

We had another one in our charter fleet in Friday Harbor as well but it was sold in 2000 and I haven't seen it since.

There used to be a third Fairways 38 kept at Shipyard Cove in Friday Harbor but I haven't seen it in several years so I don't know if it is still there or not.

A few years ago (2010, I think), we listed the Fairways 38 that the Oregon couple owned but it was the middle of the recession and the boat did not sell. They removed it from the market and took it back to Portland. The OP somehow found that expired listing on boats.com and contacted me this past weekend.

As previously posted, the pilothouse was very small and somewhat cramped. It was really not a pilothouse but more a raised steering station with a narrow bench seat where 2 could rather uncomfortably sit behind the helm. Salon and galley were also quite small. They did manage to get 2 staterooms in the boat but I always thought that odd as the rest of the boat wasn't large enough to comfortably accommodate more than 2 people. The master was either a v-berth or island queen and the guest was a pullman double.

It was a hard chined, semi-displacement hull, powered by twin Sabre Lehmans. The Fairways 38 cruised ~8-8.5kts and would do 10, but only going over a waterfall. :)

In 2000, I went over to Lymington, England to meet with David Freeman about a new trawler, Freeward 42 which had just been launched. We then flew to the Isle of Man where the boat was and did sea trials in 12 foot seas and 25 knot winds. The boat was a great design, handling the conditions extremely well. It had twin Deutz engines that were very smooth and quiet. We were going to be the US importer (boats to be built in Sri Lanka), but sadly David died not long after and the project never got off the ground.

OK- Yep,:whistling: the one here came from the Friday Harbor yacht sales. It is pee green hull in color with ivory house. Came here about two plus years ago.
Even with all the points you make, this configuration is a good fit for Southern South East Alaska,
Al

There used to be one in Gloucester (Ma) on the Annisquam rvr. It was on a mooring near Rust Island. I believe it was called "Dauntless" and owned by The owner of "Westerbekes" (the ship chandler not the engine peeps).

Hi Bcarli
I am owner of one Fairways trawler year 1992 , what are your particular interest, I can give you all information's.
Br Dusko

Hi Djbluelady,

I have had a project going for about 9 years and a fairways fisher trawler yacht
There are a number of questions I would like to ask.

Thanks Glen

Hi joselli
I will be pleased to give you all details in my knowledge, shoot without hesitation. You can use this way or by PM whatever you want.
Br Dusko

Hi Br Dusko,

I have just launched josselli last november, it was broke off the mold in 1979 and has never touched water before, I have had part survey but not finished as I would like to finish her in the water, first question could you tell me if there is ballast to be laid.

Thanks Glen

Dear joselli
Br means Best Regards, my name is Dusko Jankovic (Jankovic is family name).
First question and I do not know exact answer. For sure trawler need and have ballast, how many I do not have this details. Naval architects Wyatt and Freeman design this boat, Freeman is, I think late, but Wyatt is still alive and in serious age and I tried to reach them but guy from UK was not willing to make me this favor. Usually ballast is 1/3 of fuel tank capacity. I have somewhere original publication for this trawler I purchase from internet and will send you for day or two. Original tanks are app 300 imperial gallons so 100 imperial pounds is reasonable ballast. I purchased used trawler with new tanks with 200 imperial gallons only but made additional 60 gallons in keel so mean add additional ballast in kill. So depend from your tank 1/3 for ballast is ok and if you want to add and additional tanks in keel it can only improve stability. Maybe little bit more shaking but better stability
Best Regards
Dusko

Dear Joselli
I made mistake David Freeman is a live and 80 years old. as I said I do not have direct approach to him but link is Mr. Roger from Fisher Motor Sailers and Yachts .
His email is roger@fisherboatcompany.com and you can contact him (or call him but he insist on email) for every information about 38` trawler. Namely Mr David Freeman have all data on micro film and you can ask him what ever you want but they will ask you 50 pounds per hour. I assume amount for ballast will be ate least nx100 pounds so if you want to spent it then place more question will be cheaper per question. Of course I stay disposal for your additional questions , free of charge of course. Of course if you got info about ballast I am curiosity to hear it if it is possible.
Best Regards
Dusko

Please keep us updated on your progress. I, and others, are enamored with fisher yachts. I think they pretty much define 'trawler.'

Hi Br Dusko,

I have just launched josselli last november, it was broke off the mold in 1979 and has never touched water before, I have had part survey but not finished as I would like to finish her in the water, first question could you tell me if there is ballast to be laid.

Thanks Glen

Joselli,

Like some others, I have long admired the Fisher 38 trawler. I have never seen one, but have spent a lot of time on Fisher 34 and 37 motorsailers.

In my research I found a photo of a plan drawing of the 38 which seems to show there might be some sort of ballast under the forward berth, but that is just a guess on my part.

If you haven't already done so, you might try joining the Fisher Owner's Association and research their forum and newsletters or try contacting other members for more information.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Attachments

• 42021_38e.jpg
    42021_38e.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 355
Hi Larry,

This is identical to josselli, the keel has a fresh water tank mid ship not sure about the one under the island bed up front, there are about 4 fairways 38's in England and 1 in Scotland I have tried to email etc but to no avail.

Many thanks
Glen

Hi
I'm trying to find more information about these English built trawlers called Fairways Fisher 38. I understand only 10 where built so there is not much out there...
any thoughts
thanks
I have had mine for 6 years. Excellent sea boat, on the North Sea. Mine has twin Ford 212hp Sabres. I think this is the best combination. Economical cruising at 7/8 kn, but capable of 16kn to 18kn, if you are in a hurry. Fortunately, been a houseboat for 20 years, so has only 1300 hours, on the original engines.

thanks like the boats...bought a nordhavn 46 a while ago

Hey I’m looking at one of these two boats in shipyard currently on the hard at jensens it’s white with a green stipe. At the water line. Not sure if it’s been painted. Are you still in these parts? I’d love to get some more info from you thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom