Exuma Family Regattas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
They start off at anchor with the sails down, the one minute gun goes and then the start - a crew line pulls in the anchor while two men raise the main and jib.

Best time we ever had in the Bahamas was being in Georgetown for the Family Regatta. Truly an immersive and authentic Bahamian experience.

That’s a lot of sail on those boats.

It's a ton of sail. They carry a bunch of crew and get them out on long planks for stability. You can see that near the end of the video. Used to be that many jumped overboard to lighten ship for the downwind finish. Very entertaining.

Unfortunately the boat from Ragged Island cracked a boom a minute or so after the start. Really feel for these guys who practice all year for this thing and then tow their boat all the way over - to be finished in a minute. Hopefully they can get a repair or a spare from somewhere.

Attachments

• DSC_5943.JPG
    DSC_5943.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Man, I want to see that regatta. Did you plan your trip to be there at this time?

Man, I want to see that regatta. Did you plan your trip to be there at this time?

Planned the George Town portion to be here for the first day of the regattas. Moving on tomorrow. There is only so much of George Town I can take!

Maybe they were kicked out of regular Murcia? [emoji30]

We used to go to Costa Rica for years and they had a big US expat community. We joked that they were the best of our worst. Most were escaping from something in the US.

I follow this cute couple on YouTube. They just got to Staniel Cay. Seems like a cool spot, but pretty crowded.

The grotto thing looks especially cool the way they filmed it.

The best part of the out island regatta is the racers are all drunk by the start. It’s a great time I have been to many and loved it except for my fellow boaters.

Menzies I agree that Georgetown doesn’t have much to offer me. Enjoy your trip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom