External EGT temp measurement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
I'll be doing the sea trial on the G 43 we have under contract next Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm taking along one of the laser pointer external thermometers and checking the temps on the exhaust manifold.

I know that what I am primarily looking for is consistency but it would be helpful to know what kind of temperature range I should expect at full power after the engines are up to normal operating temperature. The engines are Perkins NA 6-354's.

Any suggestions on what else I can do with my new Harbor Freight toy in regards to the engines appreciated.

I'll also be checking that the shafts don't turn in neutral and taking a good look around. I know the engines start right up. If they don't maintain stable water temps at full power, sound funny, have very low temps on one or more exhaust outlets, or anything else seems amiss, I have a mechanic on standby to come in and look at the specific issue(s) before we accept the vessel.

I'm also taking a hand held tach to verify the engine gauges.

Since the exhaust manifold is water jacketed, external IR gun temps won't tell you anything.

If you shoot the head near each of the six injectors that might tell you if one cylinder isn't firing at idle, but that is more of a diagnostic tool to find the misfiring cylinder when you already know that the engine is running rough.

I would first calibrate the gun against a known temperature like a black pot of boiling water. Then use it to calibrate dash gauges before going out on a sea trial. Shoot the thermostat housing which will be about 5 degrees cooler than the internal coolant.

You can also use the IR gun to shoot the exhaust hose just after the mixer to assure that there is good water distribution in the mixer, ie no plugging.

You can also shoot engine oil in and out of the oil cooler. Should be no more than 220 in under cruising load.

David

David

Back
Top Bottom