Old 12-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Exterior trim

Quote:
carvendive wrote:

Honduras is my favorite as well. I carve a LOT of pieces from it.
Beautiful work!

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

One thing to consider when thinking of UHMW. I work it with carbide blades, bandsaws and routers. It is SO dense that it will deflect a blade. I've cut angled 2x3x1" blocks to fair a mounting point using a 100 tooth 10" carbide blade and had it deflect the blade. Same thing with the bandsaw. You really have to increase the blade tension I also work with Lignum Vite (second most dense wood at 80#/cu ft) and UHMW deflects a lot more than the Lignum.
carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Tony, what was the final outcome with the trim pieces on the flybridge. The trim on our flybridge never seems to get dry enough for us to refinish with cetol. We might remove it and see what is behind and underneath.
rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #24
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Betty,
We have not yet installed it, but pretty sure I am going with the thin PVC lattice strips you can get from home depot, lowes, etc. This is a paintable material and very low profile. All I need to do is cover the screw holes around the edges. Only issue I am trying to resolve is how to install it! Obvious 4200 or something like that will be necessary but how to affix it! On the inside I can cut some 2x4 braces to push each side into the caulk til it sets but not sure how to get the exterior portions to stay embedded in the caulk long enough to stay in place. Gotta still figure that part out.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote