Exterior Black Mold Removal Technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Island Bound

Vessel Name
Semper Fi
Vessel Make
2005 Great Harbour N37
I just read about this online yesterday and decided to try it out overnight. The original stated purpose was to remove black mold in the bathroom around tub caulking and tile grout. I think I have tried every commercial mold removal product available with limited success and I was certainly open to trying something new.

There are only two things required, a bottle of bleach and cotton balls or a cotton coil. A cotton coil is used in hair perms and is basically a rope of cotton in a bag that you trim to the desired length. I did not have a bag of cotton coil readily available so I used cotton balls, albeit a bit more time consuming. I mixed a 75% bleach 25% water solution in a small container and individually soaked the cotton balls and placed them adjacent to the caulking that was used on the fly bridge attachment joint. I wiped up the excess solution and let the cotton balls sit overnight. When I removed them this morning, the results were amazing, the caulking has not looked that good since shortly after it was applied.

You can vary the bleach water mixture as desired, I was not sure I needed to start off with a 100% bleach solution, so I decided to add some water. Depending on your situation, less bleach would probably work just fine.

Attachments

• DSC08640.jpg
    DSC08640.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC08643.jpg
    DSC08643.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC08658.jpg
    DSC08658.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Back