Old 11-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #21
City: North Charleston, SC
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
............ I rather not say how I finally got rid of them.
Same here.

It seems to me that flares are a throwback to the days before electronic communications were common. Yes, your batteries might be dead or whatever but flares only last for a few seconds and at best only help if someone is within visual range and looking in the direction of your boat.

I believe I read somewhere about an electronic replacement for conventional flares (basically a light) but I don't know if it's been approved.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #22
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Handhelds I just light off some place safe...the ones that don't ignite I lay across a burning one and they ignite or not. If they don't ignite...I soak them in water till they crumble then dispose of them with HAZMAT at the dump.

The MPCA’s best professional judgment is that the safest HHW Program method for accepting and treating fireworks or road flares is as follows:
  1. Draft a site specific Standard Operating Procedure for this treatment process.
  2. Notify the MPCA in advance of performing this treatment activity in accordance with the notification requirements in Minn. R. 7045.0310 and the requirements of Exhibit B of the Contract between the State and County HHW Programs.
  3. Soak the waste in water prior to shipment.
  4. Dispose as a hazardous waste.
The 12ga ones I just go offshore and shoot them down at a 60 degree angle or so when it's calm and they burn underwater for the 5 seconds or so and no one ever could see them to report them. I have never had one skip in the years of shooting maybe 50-100 this old boss used to try and skip them...not a great idea.

Smoke flares are tricky..don't do them in a populated, wooded area...that stuff lingers over several properties for a long time...

But find an open field on a windy day (lots of wind say over 20 knots and there's very little concentrated smoke that anyone can really see if it's remote and the property owner OKs it. No one away from the water is going to associate it with distress and as I said more than 100 feet away no one can really see the smoke except for you standing there holding it next to your vehicle...not likely to cause a lot of attention.

Really though...wherever I have been the easiest thing is to ask the USCG and the local fire department if you can do it at some place next to the water. Tell them it's for instructional purposes and invite the right crowd...telling them the prescribed time for training . I've never had a no answer.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:39 AM   #23
Tell them it's for instructional purposes and invite the right crowd...telling them the prescribed time for training . I've never had a no answer.

Our technique is to anchor in sight of the Coasties and TELL them you are conducting pyro training.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member
City: Mary Esther, FL
I've only needed to fire off flares once, 20 some years ago and 33 miles offshore. Two of the three brand new flares never fired. All three of the expired flares fired fine, so I'm a proponent of keeping recently expired flares on board as back up.
BlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #25
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: Marben 27' "pocket cruiser"

I'd bet there are a ton of us who agree and do have the expired ones retained on board, By the way, my comments and I think several, were built around the smoke flares. While I am aware of the 12 gauge, those don't seem to be as popular in this area as the smoke.

I made an observation a couple of years ago as I was looking for those which were still current, amazed at the number of packages of obsolete flares were stowed about!!

As a suggestion, when you do purchase it is assumed that you check the date for expiration. I go one more further by going to the back of the inventory to verify that the old marketing adage of "new" to the back of the shelf is in effect. One wants the freshest of the fresh.

Al is offline   Reply With Quote