Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
Expired flames and shells

Hi All,

I can't believe the industry does not have a ready solution for the marine folks who constantly deal with expired flares and shells. I have called the local fire department, police department, West Marine, and the Coast Gaurd. Everyone of them suggested calling one of the others in that list. The PO just left all the old flares, shells and fire extinguishers on the boat. YIKES! I replaced all with new and took all the old stuff home. Now I have a garage with 10 expired flares, 10 expired shells and 8 old fire extinguishers. What do you do? (Be honest).

Dave
Old 06-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...res-37987.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...sal-38693.html
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Hi All,

I can't believe the industry does not have a ready solution for the marine folks who constantly deal with expired flares and shells. I have called the local fire department, police department, West Marine, and the Coast Gaurd. Everyone of them suggested calling one of the others in that list. The PO just left all the old flares, shells and fire extinguishers on the boat. YIKES! I replaced all with new and took all the old stuff home. Now I have a garage with 10 expired flares, 10 expired shells and 8 old fire extinguishers. What do you do? (Be honest).

Dave
When our Yacht club has its annual Safety Day, there is usually a disposal bin set up for that purpose.

If your YC has a Safety Day, they will need to address this issue. If they don't presently have a Safety Day, or a requirement that moorage only be available to boats that have passed a safety check, They should.

If you don't have access to any other form of disposal, test firing type I or type II flares is easily accomplished if aimed downwards, into deep water. Type III flares can be put into the trunk of your car for use on the highway, should you need to mark your (or another's) disabled vehicle, or may be disposed of in a (otherwise legal) bonfire. Type IV (Smoke) Flares are somewhat more problematic, but not many are sold.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:21 AM   #4

City: Mary Esther, FL
Vessel Name: Southern C's
Vessel Model: Cabo 31 Express
I used flares once. Only one of the three shells in the new package worked. All three “expired” shells worked. Keep them most recent ones on the boat. The regs state you need unexpired flares but don’t say anything about keeping the old ones.
BlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
We set off expired smoke bombs at home. Great fun for the kids. Even more fun to see two assets from the local FD show up. Some lady thought orange smoke meant a house fire.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote