Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Will you be a boater for the rest of your life?

Not really an age-related question because some of you old poops already have one foot in the grave ;-)

Nevertheless, I am curious. Will you, if you have the means, own a boat until you are unable to (or dead)? In other words--- Will a boat be in your will?

Sometimes I ponder how long I can, or better yet am willing, to keep this up. This is hard on a person if you let it. I WANT to do everything myself (or ask Bess to do it). I have no desire or means to hire someone to do all the work it takes to own a boat like ours. Therefore, I do see a sad end someday. Be it from financial or some dreadful debilitating disease that runs in the family.

Make no mistake, I love this lifestyle, but unfortunately, I see that this might have to end. Perhaps sooner... hopefully later. Just curious about the deep philosophical thoughts of our community.

Tom-
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Will you be a boater for the rest of your life?

If you have salt water in your veins, as I do, there is no question to be asked.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Not really an age-related question because some of you old poops already have one foot in the grave ;-)

Nevertheless, I am curious. Will you, if you have the means, own a boat until you are unable to (or dead)? In other words--- Will a boat be in your will?

Sometimes I ponder how long I can, or better yet am willing, to keep this up. This is hard on a person if you let it. I WANT to do everything myself (or ask Bess to do it). I have no desire or means to hire someone to do all the work it takes to own a boat like ours. Therefore, I do see a sad end someday. Be it from financial or some dreadful debilitating disease that runs in the family.

Make no mistake, I love this lifestyle, but unfortunately, I see that this might have to end. Perhaps sooner... hopefully later. Just curious about the deep philosophical thoughts of our community.

Tom-
Sailboat, Trawler, Motorhome and Old Age Home.

You just started one rung down the ladder.*
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

I would have thunk you would be writing something like that Tom in about 35yrs time, not now????

Elwin*
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'

My wife and I hope that we can carry on untill we are carried away or finances force us out. We figure even if we can't go on the long trips up or rather west on our coast we still have the club dock to go to even if the docks suffer a few dings. Lots of folk doing that even now and some of them are in their late 80 - early 90s.

There are some things that I get others to do now rather than kill/cripple myself such as bottom painting. I learned a bunch of years ago to farm some things out. I tried to do it all and cost myself dearly, both time and money. Learned a lot but one of those lessons was don't do it all, there is still plenty to do.

So untill nature has some other ideas we will carry on as long as we can.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you have to ask the question, then you will never understand the answer.

Are you feeling burdened by your older Taiwanese trawler? There is nothing special about the problems you have had with your boat.

Fix the problems one at a time. Repeat - One at a time. At that rate you can stay ahead.

The day will come when you can cast off your dock lines and spend months at a time cruising, if that is what you want to do.

If cruising is not what you want to do then I'd sell the boat and buy a J-22 - I own one and there is no better way to spend a afternoon on the water. I'm glad I can do both.

Mike
Palm Coast FL
DeFever 40

-- Edited by Mike on Tuesday 21st of February 2012 11:24:01 PM
pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Tom
The original owner of our 1977 Tolly tri cabin was carried off at 90+ years... that speaks for itself.* His 13 + year personal mechanic and shipwright (renowned in this area) kept the boat just a year at his own docks and really fixed it up for himself and family, then something occurred (divorce, I heard) where he suddenly lost interest and simply wanted to quickly sell and be done with it... I know from other boat workers in the area that he sold before he had opportunity to use it but twice.* Myself, Ive always dreamed of and hope to eventually end up dying on a boat while out in the water... my wife does not have the same dreams, so we shall see!* Good luck on your dreams!!*
Happy Boating Daze!* Art

-- Edited by Art on Tuesday 21st of February 2012 11:11:53 PM
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

For me, being on the water is mostly about being with family and enjoying life. There is also the inherent love of nature and being on the water but that can be accomplished with a kayak. *I really like the voyaging potential of boating though. *Before I was a boating addict I was huge into long distance backpacking (hiked the A.T. twice from GA to Maine). *Traveling by boat to me reminds me a lot of those wilderness adventures, albeit in a different format.

We had a period before we bought our trawler where we were boatless for about 7 months. After boating every weekend for literally 8 years or so before that, it was actually fun. We missed being on the water but were in no rush and enjoyed that time spent at home relaxing with the kids, grilling out, doing some home projects my wife had been waiting on for, oh...8 years, etc.

Keep it fun. Sometimes hiring some stuff out will allow you to have more fun than doing everything yourself. Yes, doing it yourself can be fun and satisfying, but after a while, it can be tiring to work at a job all week and then go work on an old boat all weekend. On our Monk refit we intentionally hired out the bigger stuff so as to be able to knock it out and let us focus on what we as a family enjoy doing and that is spending time on the water together. With our new boat our goal is to have most all of the stuff we want to do completed by spring this year so that we can just enjoy the boating part of boating.

As far as long term will we always be boaters....who knows. Right now i feel like i own so many I am likely to have a few laying around the yard somewhere that i have forgotten about so that will keep me from ever being boatless.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 21st of February 2012 11:28:55 PM
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
*Don't worry about us.* Do what you can do.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

Generally, when someone asks themselves this question it is because they have serious doubts.

Right now my wife (71) and me (65) have not even spoken about the possibility of moving off the boat, except for of course, onto another boat. We have been living aboard since at least 1998 (I think, maybe earlier) and will remain live-aboards.

She actually attributes her good physical condition to the live-aboard lifestyle.

We do some of the maintenance ourselves and hire out some stuff. Just depends on whether I feel like messin with it or not. When you get to the point that you want to do everything yourself on*your boat, on your motor vehicles, on your home, etc., you might find that you are always working on your toys more than enjoying them for what you bought them for. Everyone is different and has different likes and dislikes. Me personally, I bought a boat to go boating. I enjoy boating way more than fixing.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #11
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Yes, but it will not be in our will.* What we would like to do when we*can't use it anymore is sink it for a fish habitat.* We paid cash for the boat (I don't believe in financing my toys) and we did not buy it with any intention of ever getting a dime out of it when we can no longer use it.* So we are not counting on*or depending on anything it might bring in a sale to someone else.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Will a boat be in your will?

Probably 2 or 3 boats .

A boat is a TOOL and like most tools is best used at a specific task.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Yea... This is just a long-term question. I think that once the day comes when we cast off the lines and disappear for months to the Bahamas, it will all be worth it. :-D

(Remind me not to post crap like this after a couple of glasses of wine. ;-) )
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:14 AM   #14
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

My boats are already in my will!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #15
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

A request for a viking funeral will be in the will.* The ship is going down with me.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:

Tom-

My wife and I only began boating about twelve years ago, but I expect to be boating for the rest of my life if I am able to do so.*

As for a will, well, it would just be part of my estate, nothing called out specifically.* My wife can be expected to outlive me so it will go to her and she will have to decide what to do with it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #17
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

The answer is Yes.* Will it be a trawler--probably not.

A daysailor,or a kayak or something is more like it.

I had a Stonehorse by Eddy and Duff, I swear that thing could sail itself.

It had an engine- 1 lunger Westerbeke, but I could sail it in an out of the dock and tack in the slightest breeze, not bad for a vessel with a full keel!

Anyway the price of Diesel fuel is going to do it for me..* Not the expense of it--just the princple of it.* Somewhere between 6 and 10 per gallon and I am Done!

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788

As we've aged, we've specifically purchased our last boat, one that is easy to manage by an old couple, or single handed if necessary.

Boating is in our lifetime plan.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #19
Guru

Not sure I will own a boat until I die but boating will definitely be part of my life until the end. One way or another. I know at some point I might have to sell Willy to free up some cash for something else, so I will propably go back to chartering once or twice a year.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
A request for a viking funeral will be in the will.* The ship is going down with me.
*Is that legal?

*I would love to do that.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote