Old 12-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: Currently between boats
Vessel Model: Kayak!
Experience with Daewoo or Doosan diesels?

Hi folks, I read the forum often and mine for information. I've read many threads about diesel engines and I realize folks have their biases etc, but there is generally good information available here and friendly folks to share it. I'm in the market for a new boat and I have found one with a Daewoo/Doosan diesel engine in it. This is not an engine I've had any experience with and cannot find much online. It took a good bit of digging just to determine Daewoo was acquired by Doosan awhile back. In either case, the boat I'm looking at has a 185hp Daewoo "Doosan" diesel in it and I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these engines. I can check boatdiesel.com and call the local reseller of Doosan in Seattle if necessary but I figured I'd start here. Many thanks, Heath
heath johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Who in Seattle represents Doosan?

My engine supplier Yukon, formerly Klassen .. now under the Hatton roof may know something. I thing they sold some a few ears ago.
Probably a good engine but you may need to know what tractor or other industrial equipment uses the Daewoo/Doosan engine.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

It was Klassen I was referring to. They have more modern versions, I don't think they sell the one I'm looking at anymore. This is the listing:

2005 Rutherford Custom Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Like everything about the boat but the couch. :-) And I know nothing about the engine.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I don't have a direct answer to your question but the problem with any engine is parts and service. One could have the best engine in the world but if parts and service are not reasonably available it makes owning it a chore at best and a real problem for even ordinary service.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Wow great looking boat what colour will you paint it

If information on the Daewoo is hard to find on the internet imagine finding spares
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #6

My last boat was painted aluminum and I swore I would never own another one like it. Galvanic corrosion can make a mess of of a pretty boat in short order. Luckily it was a new boat and the manufacturer fixed all the flaking paint that resulted from them neglecting to use the proper amount of sealant between dissimilar metals. The only reason I'd consider this boat is because it has no coating whatsoever and would need very little maintenance.

All that said, and back on the engine topic - so far one company in Vancouver says they can get parts and perform service. I'm in the Seattle area. The business that used to support those engines here does not now and referred me to an outfit in Kansas. This explains why the price is lower than one would expect.

I think I'll be letting the broker know 'll be passing on this boat.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by heath johnson View Post
My last boat was painted aluminum and I swore I would never own another one like it. Galvanic corrosion can make a mess of of a pretty boat in short order. Luckily it was a new boat and the manufacturer fixed all the flaking paint that resulted from them neglecting to use the proper amount of sealant between dissimilar metals. The only reason I'd consider this boat is because it has no coating whatsoever and would need very little maintenance.

All that said, and back on the engine topic - so far one company in Vancouver says they can get parts and perform service. I'm in the Seattle area. The business that used to support those engines here does not now and referred me to an outfit in Kansas. This explains why the price is lower than one would expect.

I think I'll be letting the broker know 'll be passing on this boat.

Such a nice boat what would it cost to repower ??
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Experience with Daewoo or Doosan diesels?

The owner is obviously motivated. Why not back out $40k to cover a repower with your choice of marquee engine?

Honestly, if everything else about this boat makes your heart race why let a brand name in the bilge bug you.

Edit: Oops, just saw Gaston's post.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Looks like the boat's ready to go. And you like it very much. And the price is right.

I'd check out the parts issue and if the parts are available polish up your boots and dicker the best buy you can ...... and buy it. And yes go on BD.com and see if there's anything wrong w the engine .. design wise or operational. If it's a good engine and you actually can get parts it would be worse than silly to jerk out the engine and blow a ton of money on a more fashionable engine.
I don't know anybody else here w a Mitsubishi but I've had one fot 10 yrs and am very happy w it. Having one of several popular brands of engine in your boat is extremely over rated. IMO

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #10

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
I have been eyeing that boat online forever and think it looks super sweet. I think you should go for it, if you can get if for a price you think is good. If you are worried about the engine, a compromise to replacing it may be to buy and carry an excessive inventory of spares. That way if they are a pain to get, at least you aren't doing it under a big time crunch. It is no problem to order something 6 weeks out from Korea if it is for spare inventory.
My last boat was unpainted aluminum, and I loved it. The one I just bought has 25 year old paint and it is stressing me out. I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to media blast it all off at considerable expense, and just leave it with a raw aluminum bead blasted finish.
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #11

Good points about parts. I am guessing the engine is likely reliable at this point in its lifespan so probably won't need much major maintenance. I can order regular spares well in advance regardless of where they come from. Shipping is cheap these days. That's all great if I'm going to do the maintenance myself I presume. Will a diesel mechanic come out and work on any engine I put in front of him/her? I've never been in a situation like this. I always took my last boat to the same place where they knew my motors and worked directly with the manufacturer to get parts and do any warranty claims etc.

I could do a repower but I simply don't have time for that at this point in my life. I work too much and I'd want to be very much involved in that process. It would be a good negotiating point though. That said, there is an outfit (Klassen) in Vancouver near where this boat is being offered for sale that will maintain that engine. So the seller may not be interested in my offer if another buyer could get maintenance locally in Vancouver. Even then though, having only one place in town available would be of some concern to me as a buyer, especially if I was not handy enough to do some of my own preventative maintenance. Klassen closed up shop in Seattle, they may eventually do the same in Vancouver. I don't know.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
A buddy bought a boat with Daewoo V158 engines. These apparently were built under some sort of license of MAN v8 designs. Look much like the MAN, but there are some differences. I don't think many parts actually would swap over between the two brands.

Anyway, before buying he did some homework and found distributors stateside that stocked the whole line of parts. I don't know all the details of those vendors, but he was satisfied enough to buy the boat. The engines have been trouble free.

I would suggest the OP do the same homework. Find out what design the engine is, a licensed version or something homegrown at Daewoo. Find out if it still supported parts-wise. And if it is still in production. If parts are available, I would have no problem with it.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Chances are the only parts going to be needed for a long time are just regular maintenance items: fuel/oil filters, impeller for raw water pump etc. Build up a bit of stock of those and run it 'till it stops. Re-power then if you want. But it might outlast your ownership of the boat!

I would not want painted aluminium. But another option to consider is vinyl wrapping it.