Exhaust elbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Al

Guru
Vessel Name
'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Make
1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Greetings,
In reading various post where cost of exhaust elbows are indicated as being expensive the question on my mind is that because it is thought so compared to what?
I am somewhat perplexed with the specifics of exhaust elbows as the two boats of any size and powered by diesel, have had and have home made elbows constructed with stainless steel pipe fittings. The cooling water fittings are brazed or welded in to these elbows.
Not had any problems and they appear to be lasting for years as they have not been replaced with OE or after market elbows.
There is no significant cost involved. What am I missing here given the need to replace this piece on any boat where cost is a factor or availability for that matter.
curious minds want to know
Regards,
Al

Not expensive imo, for the L120, except for the shipping to get them here. They are heavy!

The issue can be the cost of factory replacement parts.
Our 1980 vintage Cat 3406 is on it's 3rd exhaust elbow that I know of. 4 years ago the factory cast part was quoted at $7,000. I had a stainless fabricator make one for $900.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom