Old 05-30-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Middletown
Vessel Name: Kindred Spirit
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
Wifi booster

What is the best wifi booster to boost the signal from a marina? From the bridge I get the signal but not from the salon.
Thanks
Finally hit the water! New blog post is up.

Kindred Spirit | LIVE in the sunshine…SWIM the sea….DRINK the wild air

Al
Kindred Spirit
Mariner Orient 38
Al W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #2

City: Redlands
KaJen is equipped with a Rogue Pro from Wave WiFi running through a 12 volt Netgear router. Works great for me.

I visit dozens of marinas each year so the ease of finding and logging onto the network is key. With Wave's set up the menu pops up and shows all networks, their signal strength gth, name and security type. Easy.

I have heard from cruising friends that some other installations are difficult to use but work well when connected.

Jeff at Active Captain has written several news letters on the subject. You can search the archive at Activecaptain.com

Panbo.com also has some very good reviews as well.

As both of those web sites explain, having a router/local network onboard is the way to go.

Hope this helps,
Arch
Old 05-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Also if you search here on TF you'll find quite a few threads on this topic.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Also if you search here on TF you'll find quite a few threads on this topic.
Yeah..There's a big thread here somewhere! After that info, I ended up going with the WirieAP. Set's up a Wifi network on the boat, and searches any external hot spots within range and connects it all. Easy to use software, Simple 12 Wiring. No separate router or ethernet cabling necessary..

http://www.thewirie.com/marine-wifi-product-AP+.html

Ah...Found the thread:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ter-15582.html

Old 05-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I installed a Wirie AP+ a few weeks ago. One connection for power and it was up and running...router and all. So far, so good.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Middletown
Vessel Name: Kindred Spirit
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
WiFI Booster

Thank you all. I will do research on those items listed and give one a shot.
Thanks again
Al
Al W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:19 PM   #7

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Angry WiFi rant warning...

Interesting that this thread popped up. We've been frustrated beyond belief with the horrible WiFi at our Marina in San Diego. Marina management advises "You can't expect much from a free service... so just use it to check your emails. It won't stream video or anything". REALLY? I can go to McFreakingDonalds and stream video. For free. This is 2015 people. Heck, most of the time I'd be thrilled to connect at any speed at my marina! Talking to several boat owners on my dock validates that I am not alone in my frustration. (To say nothing of my two 6 year olds!! )

The service is provided by Beacon Wi-fi... and they refuse to acknowledge that there are any problems with their system. Initially I listened to their service rep's BS. First they said it was because I was on an iPad. OK. Brought laptop. So slow... would time out before a login screen could appear. OH. You are too far away they said. You need to buy one of our $799.00 booster systems. Really? Then I figured out that I have one of their system antenna's about 50' away from my boat, (and a second about 100'!!) Yes. It is 50' away! OH... I'm sorry. You are too close they said. You need to buy our $799.00 booster so you can connect to one that is further away!

OK. Done ranting.

First, I will admit that I am not a wifi/WAN/LAN/FDIC/HIPAA... whatever acronym expert. Most of the threads I have found are not written in my simple man's English.

Best I can figure out is although I am sitting 50' away from their antenna, they send out such low power that even when sitting in my cabin full of windows... I can't receive it. Or, the low power of all my devices can't travel through glass to an antenna 50' away and in direct line of sight in order to communicate?

So, my questions:

Are our boats some sort of force field that my signal can't get out? My device can show "full bars" of connectivity, but not be able to access the internet or login. Other times after successful logging in, pages load so slowly that they time-out. Is this a wifi power issue, or a bandwidth problem?

So. Do I need to buy something like the WirieAP to make up for their low power system? Do I need go to the extent of having an antenna outside, or is there something like the Wirie that I can set on the counter under the windshield in front of the lower helm?

I've read some of the other threads regarding boat networks. Not sure that I need something like that. Or do I? I just need to bring in their signal and distribute it via wifi (router?) to our 4 devices.

Thanks!!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. P. Wrong anchor...

Old 05-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Yeah..There's a big thread here somewhere! After that info, I ended up going with the WirieAP. Set's up a Wifi network on the boat, and searches any external hot spots within range and connects it all. Easy to use software, Simple 12 Wiring. No separate router or ethernet cabling necessary..

The Wirie AP+: Long Range Boat WiFi and RV WiFi

Ah...Found the thread:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ter-15582.html

Had a WireAP for six years and love it!
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Most marina wifi I have experienced from NJ to FL is pretty bad.

Most can't stream worth a darn and in many, when the weekend comes, it all but shuts down.

My home marina seems to be the best of all....not much demand and the marina manager has his own computer side business so he is savy.

I have a amplified antenna but in most marinas it's not a weak signal...it (for lack of knowing what I am talking about) seems to be lack of bandwidth.

Whatever..but I have been so disappointed in Marina wifi...I often do better with nearby open wifi or xfinity in some places.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Too small a system for to many people accessing it, limited bandwidth. Sort of like too many people trying to get water out of 1/2" hose. At 3 in the morning OK but at 7 am shower time, forget it. The marina needs to update their system. That is the only solution.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
Guru

It's not my marina....it's dozens of others I have stayed at.

Many pretty nice and pricey for their area....but lousy wifi.

I see that some cruisers, my boat included....would suggest canning the showers and restrooms and upgrade the wifi...

Leave the tiki bar though...
Old 05-31-2015, 07:41 PM   #13
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Interesting that this thread popped up. We've been frustrated beyond belief with the horrible WiFi at our Marina in San Diego. Marina management advises "You can't expect much from a free service... so just use it to check your emails. It won't stream video or anything". REALLY? I can go to McFreakingDonalds and stream video. For free. This is 2015 people. Heck, most of the time I'd be thrilled to connect at any speed at my marina! Talking to several boat owners on my dock validates that I am not alone in my frustration. (To say nothing of my two 6 year olds!! )

The service is provided by Beacon Wi-fi... and they refuse to acknowledge that there are any problems with their system. Initially I listened to their service rep's BS. First they said it was because I was on an iPad. OK. Brought laptop. So slow... would time out before a login screen could appear. OH. You are too far away they said. You need to buy one of our $799.00 booster systems. Really? Then I figured out that I have one of their system antenna's about 50' away from my boat, (and a second about 100'!!) Yes. It is 50' away! OH... I'm sorry. You are too close they said. You need to buy our $799.00 booster so you can connect to one that is further away!

OK. Done ranting.

First, I will admit that I am not a wifi/WAN/LAN/FDIC/HIPAA... whatever acronym expert. Most of the threads I have found are not written in my simple man's English.

Best I can figure out is although I am sitting 50' away from their antenna, they send out such low power that even when sitting in my cabin full of windows... I can't receive it. Or, the low power of all my devices can't travel through glass to an antenna 50' away and in direct line of sight in order to communicate?

So, my questions:

Are our boats some sort of force field that my signal can't get out? My device can show "full bars" of connectivity, but not be able to access the internet or login. Other times after successful logging in, pages load so slowly that they time-out. Is this a wifi power issue, or a bandwidth problem?

So. Do I need to buy something like the WirieAP to make up for their low power system? Do I need go to the extent of having an antenna outside, or is there something like the Wirie that I can set on the counter under the windshield in front of the lower helm?

I've read some of the other threads regarding boat networks. Not sure that I need something like that. Or do I? I just need to bring in their signal and distribute it via wifi (router?) to our 4 devices.

Thanks!!
Our Marina has no wifi and cellular is pretty weak too. No complaints here though. We like rural.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #14

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It's not my marina....it's dozens of others I have stayed at.

Many pretty nice and pricey for their area....but lousy wifi.

I see that some cruisers, my boat included....would suggest canning the showers and restrooms and upgrade the wifi...

Leave the tiki bar though...
for tiki bars!

I wonder how many others use the same vendor? It is amazing to read how awesome they think they are on their website. Powerful systems able to accommodate today's families with multiple devices (including iPad's - which they told me was one of the problems).

I've traveled quite a bit and even at the largest hotel/convention complexes never go without wifi.

There's got to be a better way!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Phyrcooler, I struggled with a similar issue at my former marina. Adding my Rogue Wave wifi extender really helped there and away from my slip. It's an easy 12V connection for the router, then power over ethernet (POE) which is a fancy way of saying that power to the antenna comes from the plastic clip computer cable (like a large telephone line). The other end of that cable plugs into the 12V wifi router.

Many routers are 12V with a wall wart to allow use in the home 110V. Just check out the router specs if this is important to you.

There are other cheaper options that might work well in your situation. Carolena recently posted this on another thread. It might be something that works for you. At $40, it's not a high risk test.

If I changed boats, the Rogue Wave is something I'd take off this boat to use on my next boat.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:38 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I vote Rouge Wave or RW Pro as well.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:22 AM   #17
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
The WirieAP+ makes use of an external antenna too. If you don't need ethernet cabling for any device, you don't need a conventional router with 4 x ethernet ports. The WirieAP+ will give you a wireless router so you can connect your wireless devices simultaneously. It has the added benefit of being upgrade-able to the Pro, should you ever want to add boosted cellular connectivity.....which you might if the WirieAP+ doesn't give you access to a better wifi service.

But what about organizing a petition from other frustrated boaters at your marina & presenting it to management? No reason for such poor service in 2015, as you rightly say
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 AM   #18
Guru

I once had a marina manager that told me that because it was cold (probably in the 30's) was the reason the internet had slowed down.

Yep, most marinas it is just a misunderstanding of how everything works.. I tell them call Active Captain for help and they seem thankful.....but in the long run it won't get their attention till boaters make them feel wifi is as important as all the other amenities of the marina.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:38 AM   #19
FF
Guru

The ONLY benefit to a marina in having Wi Fi is they can advertise they have WI FI.

Why would they wish to spend big bucks for superior service and equipment ?

Cruising the best Wi Fi comes from unsecured folks or businesses that need to give away free WI FI to keep customers longer.

IF the marina had superior really first class WI FI would you pay an extra $5.00 per night as a transient , or $40-$60 a month as a liveaboard?

A marina might be interested in great service if it was at a profit , but as a costly free be , why bother?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:48 AM   #20
Guru

Because for some of us...the most important service they provide beyond a slip and maybe ice, is wifi.

YES I would pay.

If most people are willing to pay $50 or more dollars at home for high speed internet, why wouldn't I pay for it as a floating home owner?

I'm not positive, but I don't think providing high speed wifi is nearly as costly as many other things marinas provide in their "package".

I get that most people boating don't care "yet".....but more and more everyday ask about it as they wasn't continuous connectivity in their lives...even if only for the ....restless kids