Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Pender Island
exciting !!!! (intro, boat shopping)

We are over on Pender Island B.C. looking for a trailerable "pocket Cruiser" .... I've had an 18.5 foot Malibu which is totally useless in any type of chop..so displacement/semi displacement hull here I come... Boats under consideration are : Coaster 23 / Albin/ Rosborough 24.6/ C-Dory23 / Devlin 26 /Acadia 25 ?????.... Just commencing my search,, all input appreciated!!!!! The boat will be used for Gulf Island Cruising with a little Fishing thrown in .......... Are 4 cylinder Perkins Diesels a good choice in power ----- I'm interested in an inboard ------- how does "podding" effect the weight distribution on a boat??? Would seem to me that more weight would be added to the stern creating weight distribution problems .......... looking forward to reading the posts and climbing my steep learning curve...........jp
Lucy 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Not many around but a Vashon 23 is a nice pocket cruiser that can trailer and take the bigger water. Many of them where rigged for commercial salmon trolling but some are outfitted as pleasure boats.

Saw one for sale in California that was recently re-fit to better than new condition with trailer. Do not see it advertised now but it may come back up for sale.

...And welcome to the forum

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
I've owned 2 Albin 25's over the years, and looked closely at a Coaster 23. Although the Coaster has a much saltier look to it, the Albins are a better thought out design and much roomier. I do know that the Albin is a very seaworthy boat, and can handle all but the "of course you wouldn't go out in that" seas.

Another boat to consider, although rare, is the Yar 26, a boat locally built in the 70's and 80's.

Good luck on your quest!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
It was only about 6 months ago we were in your shoes. We had a Coaster 23 in our hot little hands, but the deal fell through.

Then we got to thinking...

We would have to get a new trailer for it (local marina is full) because the old one was too dodgy. We'd have to get a bigger truck to haul it. So, then we began rationalizing...

Once we added up the costs of the boat, all the work to bring it up to snuff, the beefy trailer, and a bigger truck...why not just keep our current vehicle and go looking for a bigger, newer, nicer boat?

Happy we did

So keep your mind open and your eyes peeled, and good luck!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thank You

Your comments are much appreciated ..... true, true re. the trailer etc ... the only place I would haul a boat would be into my driveway off season.... The message is to take my time and continue researching ...... standing by!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I had an Albin 25 and think they are the best boat of their type but 99% of them have an aft cabin so they won't do as a fisherman unless one can and will do fairly serious surgery.

Sea Dories are great boats but they're outboards and probably pound quite a lot.

There is or was a boat builder in Bellingham WA that built a 26' double ender w a small diesel. The name ... Northwester ... or something like that. There's one in Craig Alaska but I don't think I have a picture of it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Penderite

Thanks Eric -- I'll check out the Northwester ,,,,,, interesting researching these various boats .... when I make a decision then the next problem is locating the choice..........standing by...jp
Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
How about Rabger Tug R-25?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

radner tug?????

Can't find one ---- I did find a Ranger Tug (lol) --- I'll research thnx. jp
Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ranger Tugs

Yikes are they expensive!!!!!! And although they are great looking there isn't much space even for a short weekend trip.........
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
FF
Guru

For a towable boat we chose a 223 REGAL IO.

Duo-props for a bit more efficiency , 305 Chevvy (painted by Volvo) .

About 60 gal of gas with an 8 GPH burn at 23K (not mph) seems enough endurance for built up areas.

Not sure how we would do in AK.

About $6K on a good trailer. Weight of about 6000-7000 all up with trailer.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Check out the "All Weather 26" that may be the boat Eric is referring to. Very hard to find on the market. No frills no nonsense pocket cruiser, it won't impress your neighbors, or be loved by the fuel dock attendant. It will bring you home when the wind blows "fresh to frightening off Cape Stiff"
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Guru

This may be your lucky day...

Homer Hughes, owner of Allweather Boats, is not in good health and is getting out of the game. His boat is for sale, as is his company;

Allweather Boats

This was my absolute, number one, so far above the rest trailerable boat for BC waters it was ridiculous. I kept a constant vigil for years trying to find one for sale.

Turns out we went for a bigger, beamier boat in the end, but there was a time I would have dropped everything for an Allweather!

More pictures; http://allweatherboats.com/id13.html

Murray
Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I stand corrected! As MurryM posted, Homer Hughes' 26' Allweather "Cape Caution" is for sale. A beautiful pocket cruiser for 1 and a little crowded for two.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The latest issue of PassageMaker Magazine has an article on boats in that category. They interview owners of several of these boats. I suggest picking up a copy and reading the article.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Duo-props for a bit more efficiency , 305 Chevvy (painted by Volvo) ..
Well, they do a lot more than painting it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The Allweather Boat. That's it. Thank you sailor of fortune.

There seems to be a lot of Ranger 25s for sale. There's one at LaConner that looks like new. They are a beautiful boat and make good use of space but are a very light boat.

Ron wrote;
"Well, they do a lot more than painting it." Indeed they do. A LOT more.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Allweather

I'm excited about the Allweather ..... I've checked out their web site and can't imagine a more suitable boat for my purposes....... dry space enough for two in a really sea worthy reliable boat..........I've e-mailed Homer and am awaiting his reply....... even more excited!!!!! thnx. stand by jp
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
Guru

Hi Lucy,

I've sent him emails before and never gotten an answer, so phoning might be your best bet.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

City: -
The Allweather is something of a sailboat-type hull that's a powerboat. Very good design, very rough execution from the couple I have seen in our local waters in person in terms of the fit and finish of the topsides. Don't know if they are still in business. They are/were north of Bellingham in, I think, Ferndale. I think they still have a website. The last one I saw was in Friday Harbor about two years ago. From what I recall being told at the time, the company was "in business but in limbo." In other words, the owner was hoping to eventually continue or restart production. My impression is that it's something of a one-man operation.

SeaSport makes/made several models in the 20 foot range, the largest being 27 feet. Good designs, well made, many are outboard powered. Great for fishing but some have larger cabins and forecablns so would make good local cruisers, too.

C-Dories are well made boats that will pound your teeth out in rougher water if you try to go fast. They have very flat afterbodies which makes them very efficient since they can be planed with less power than a comparable size deep-V hull. I believe the later models have a bit more of a vee to the hull so may have a better ride.

Osprey is another fishing-cruising-trailerable boat. I/O powered I believe. We know a few people who have them. Only serious complaint I've hearsd is one case where the transom--- which is wood cored--- began to rot out and had to be replaced.

Ranger Tugs are great but are staggeringly expensive for their size. Don't know why, exactly, but they are very well fitted out from the couple of examples I've seen up close. So perhaps it's a matter of getting what you pay for.

Arima makes several models now, the largest being 22 feet. They can be had with hardtops, Alaska bulkheads, forecabins and such to make them great fishing boats and "pocket cruisers." All outboard powered. We have a 1985 Sea Ranger 17' and it does a great job of handling the typical inland water chop. But---- like the C-Dory the Arima gets its efficiency with a deep, sharp forefoot and a shallow-vee afterbody. So it pounds in rougher water.

PS--- Just saw this on the Allweather website.

ANNOUNCEMENT TO FRIENDS OF ALLWEATHER BOATS
From Homer Hughes

Due to personal health issues, I regret to say that I am no longer able to continue the Allweather Boat project. The time has come to offer the project to others who share my interest in creation of common sense, fuel efficient boats. If you are interested in the project, please contact me for further information. This website will continue as a forum for owners of Allweather boats, and others who are interested. Please see the for sale by factory page for sales info on the Allweather company boat, the Cape Caution.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote