Evicted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. mp. As above plus great white sharks, round stingray, California scorpionfish, killer bees, fire ants, black widow and recluse spiders, scorpions, California newts and good percentage of the population of Emeryville, CA...

200w.webp

That being said, we were in NC for 5 years and the alligators were just starting to show up in the Dismal Swamp Canal. Moving north with the warming climate. So, gators were a rarity BUT copperheads, cottonmouths and brown recluse spiders were VERY common around our marina. Don't have much use for the spiders BUT the snakes served a useful purpose in that they ate rats and mice.

Unfortunately, the "solution" was to shoot the snakes both good and "bad" ones. I saw a guy shoot 2 beautiful eastern king snakes. King snakes eat other snakes (read the "bad" ones above).

Ahh, nothing to do with climate, grew up in Virginia and dismal swamp has always had gators, in 1998 saw a 10 footer swim across the ICW going for a deer on the other bank, just south of E-city either on or near the Alligator river, 2 yrs ago I saw a slide way on the bank in some tall reeds a few hundred feet south of hell’s gate

Stars, did ya have the Catfish Chips? Regular stop for us on our way to the fishing camp. BTW, I have a particular dislike for gators. They have gotten so bad in S. LA. that we can no longer use our labs to hunt teal in Sept. They will go out their way to attack a retrieving dog in the water. Gators have a special taste/hate for dogs.

Absolutely! I get mine grilled...David has the fried.
I had a couple of bloody mary’s too....but franks down the road has better bloody mary’s. (My drink of choice)

Are they not issuing enough tags? Where’s all the gator hunters?

Another case a couple of days ago
Alligator bites Louisiana sheriff's deputy trying to tape its mouth
Gator pulled free from catch pole

A Louisiana sheriff's deputy is expected to make a full recovery after being bitten by an alligator and having to pry his right arm out of its jaws.

The St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office said deputies were helping animal control officers on Monday to capture the gator, which was approximately 5 feet long. It had wandered into a backyard in Luling, about 25 miles west of New Orleans.

The deputy, who was not identified, was attempting to tape the alligator's mouth so it could be safely relocated in the wild.

The alligator was being held by a catch pole, but it was able to pull free and bite the deputy's right arm.

A second deputy pinned the alligator to keep it from thrashing and rolling, which could have caused more serious injuries. They freed the officer's arm, but he suffered deep lacerations and puncture wounds.

I saw that video.
I also saw a video of a gator eating a boat! That was crazy. The guys ran down to the water and were throwing things at it and it wasn’t letting go.

I then saw a video this morning of a couple in their swimming pool at night and a gator jumped into the pool. It was quite aggressive.

Yikes!

I have a healthy respect for them. I realize we share the water with them but I like it better when they stay off on the sidelines and not out in the open.

Greetings,
Mr. mp. As above plus great white sharks, round stingray, California scorpionfish, killer bees, fire ants, black widow and recluse spiders, scorpions, California newts and good percentage of the population of Emeryville, CA...

200w.webp

That being said, we were in NC for 5 years and the alligators were just starting to show up in the Dismal Swamp Canal. Moving north with the warming climate. So, gators were a rarity BUT copperheads, cottonmouths and brown recluse spiders were VERY common around our marina. Don't have much use for the spiders BUT the snakes served a useful purpose in that they ate rats and mice.

Unfortunately, the "solution" was to shoot the snakes both good and "bad" ones. I saw a guy shoot 2 beautiful eastern king snakes. King snakes eat other snakes (read the "bad" ones above).

Ugh...there was a snake on our dock the other night. I can’t tell a good snake from a bad snake so as far as I’m concerned, they’re all bad. It went off the dock and into the water.
Then there was the rabid raccoon...we think he actually had distemper. He went on our neighbors boat. David had to go get him off.
And this nasty snake was next to kartracer’s boat at his marina.

Attachments

• 60647D82-55B8-4FE7-AF9C-099A3F6DEAC7.jpg
    60647D82-55B8-4FE7-AF9C-099A3F6DEAC7.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 66
  • B5411AB4-B3DD-46EC-937A-37B23C9A8482.jpg
    B5411AB4-B3DD-46EC-937A-37B23C9A8482.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 71
Was amazed to learn there are gators on the Tennessee River. Worse, the federal government released them there to deal with a beaver problem, assuming they would die off during the winter. The gators bore into the bank of the river to nest and keep from freezing. Law of unintended consequences.

Ted

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. DJ. Thanks. I did not know the history of gators on the Dismal. Could be I'm mis-remembering some dock talk.

Ms. S. That reptile appears to me to be a plain ole' Southern Water Snake BUT since I'm not really up on my southern snake species (both poisonous and NON poisonous) I give all of them space. Nice to look at, not necessarily nice to handle.

200.webp

Corn snake, I think.

Last edited:
Steve, his replacement IS there. Just hasn't been discovered yet.

Where their is one gator, there is at least one more.

The alligators really don't worry me.
This worries me. The story is he was swimming in a lake and the turtle bit his foot. Once snapping turtles bite they do not let go.
IMG_1337.JPG

The alligators really don't worry me.
This worries me. The story is he was swimming in a lake and the turtle bit his foot. Once snapping turtles bite they do not let go.
View attachment 90287

The saying here in Choupic is they won't let go till sunset or they hear thunder. Once one bit my Dachshund's lip I had to pry its jaws open with a screwdriver,
like opening a vice. That dog never messed with a turtle again!

Greetings,
As above plus........ round stingray.....

RT, I'm not sure what a "round stingray" is ? The stingrays that I am familiar with though only use their tail barb when threatened. They are beautfiul to see and you can get quite close to them without any danger. In Cozumel ( and elsewhere ) there are snorkeling tours with hundreds of stingray. Its an incredible experience. I used to have the opportunity to swim with some very docile, large ( about 7 feet ) Southern Stingrays 3 or 4 times per week for almost 2 years. I could hand feed them, and pet them...it was amazing !!

I have a special fondness for rays and sharks.

Gator

Sorry if I missed it before- What Marina and where?

Greetings,
Mr. B. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_stingray Pretty well the only danger with these is stepping on them while wading about and "gettin' bit".

Yup, a shark or ray alley has become quite popular in tropical snorkeling areas. Was just starting up in Caye Caulker, Belize when I was there 20+ years ago.

Shuffle your feet instead of lifting them.

The sight of a big gator noshing away on something next to my pier in brackish bayou just feet from where the grand kids play was a problem I was not going to wait for the catchers to resolve. A soft point 30-06 at five-foot range to that flat spot behind the eyes was impressively instantaneous with no threat of it working free of a snare. 20 years here and had never seen the like before. Whenever gators are found out on Panama City beaches, they are euthanized. I have never interfered with any gator I have encountered in any other situation like when swimming across the GIWW (Gulf Coast ICW for those who do not know the official name), but you just don't put up with a threat to family, human or otherwise.

We have a six footer in Beaumont. Everyone feeds him dog food.

You have made that gator dangerous since it now equates humans with food and has no fear. They don't just relocate them they destroy them. You all have condemned this gator.

We walked around a marina in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and saw a couple of very large (10 feet?) gators in the marina, either swimming or sunning themselves. They didn't seem interested in crawling ashore (around people, restaurants shops, etc), but there was nothing to stop them from doing so. Funny, I didn't see anyone scraping their bottoms.

Todd

There are signs around PV warning about "los cocodrillos" im thinkin you weren't looking at gators.

Last edited:
Diamondback Rattlesnake in Beaufort, SC river a few weeks ago.
Have been know to come up on a swim platform for a rest.

A friend saw 2 otters a few years ago in the same area. Went closer for a picture and it was a pair of diamondbacks swimming together.

Plenty of other accounts from our sea islands here.

I think Ga has more than we do.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 62
Sorry if I missed it before- What Marina and where?
Tropical Harbor in Houma, La.
Not really a commercial marina. Each waterside condo unit has a slip, some owners lease them to boat owners.Located on a dead end canal that runs into the GICW at about mile 58 WHL, very convenient.

Attachments

• Gumbo slip 004.JPG
    Gumbo slip 004.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 43
WHEN I buy a boat and WHEN I do the Loop, I need to rethink how to exercise my Rottie/Lab, Bo.

Here at home, he jumps off my dock and swims out to retrieve sticks, balls etc. He will swim back and forth quite happily for an hour or more.

I figured that I'd do the same with him from the back of the boat.

This thread made me sit up. Here in Ontario my biggest worry when we go outside are mosquitoes!

Gators

I spend a LOT of time in the water and hope to never meet up with a gator. I'll take a shark or pissed off fisherman any time.

Fortunately we don't have a lot of them in salt water, but they DO get there.

Just bought a house on the Peace River in Punta Gorda. Right after closing the neighbor tells me "Don't swim east of the I-75 bridge or the gators will get you and don't swim west of the I-75 bridge or the bull sharks will get you." My wife and daughters were not amused.

Just bought a house on the Peace River in Punta Gorda. Right after closing the neighbor tells me "Don't swim east of the I-75 bridge or the gators will get you and don't swim west of the I-75 bridge or the bull sharks will get you." My wife and daughters were not amused.

LOL Can you safely swim under the I-75 bridge??

A friend saw 2 otters a few years ago in the same area. Went closer for a picture and it was a pair of diamondbacks swimming together.
I remember we were taking our boat out from dock at good ole Surfside 3 marina on the South Shore of Long Island. I saw a huge river otter swimming in the canal. My dad corrected me... it was a river rat.

Sorta like this beauty:

Attachments

• new-york-rat-56ae857f3df78cf772bc6619.jpg
    new-york-rat-56ae857f3df78cf772bc6619.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom