Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
and NO Fly-Bridge, must give this little ship an extreme low CG (read seaworthiness)
Not necessarily and a low center of gravity can cause uncomfortable motion...looking at pics and determining seaworthiness is a huge mistake.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Dutchman: That head and separate shower are really something. Do you know the layout, like if they are across from each other, port and starboard? It's hard to imagine that there's much space left for storage. Thanks for finding those photos.

The Volvo is a good engine, but kind-of like American Diesel (Bob Smith) did for Lehmans, the old Volvo owners need something other than Volvo to supply parts.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #23

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not necessarily and a low center of gravity can cause uncomfortable motion...looking at pics and determining seaworthiness is a huge mistake.
Comfort is not the same as seaworthiness. I prefer this little vessel for a North Sea rite well over a lot of Plastic Trawlers with a parked RV on the deck-house.

The majority of the Mega Yachts are build in Steel (hull/Alu superstructure) and in The Netherlands.

I know that in the US steel yachts are something "not done" but try to look beyond your scope.
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Comfort is not the same as seaworthiness. I prefer this little vessel for a North Sea rite well over a lot of Plastic Trawlers with a parked RV on the deck-house.

The majority of the Mega Yachts are build in Steel (hull/Alu superstructure) and in The Netherlands.

I know that in the US steel yachts are something "not done" but try to look beyond your scope.
If you are too beat up to continue watch with a sharp mind...you will care about comfort as much as seaworthiness...You can kill yourself from bad decisions after a rough day in an intracoastal waterway if you are all beatup from a stiff motion boat.

I'm not saying that floating condos are seaworthy...but just looking at a picture in NO WAY can one know ANYTHING about it's stability...that's all I'm saying in addition to too much stability can be a bad thing.....

Just like some here think they can determine speed and efficiency from a picture and have been proven wrong countless times...

My "scope" is not easily discerned from a few internet posts...guessing seems to be a big pastime around here...
Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Reiziger wrote;
"I know that in the US steel yachts are something "not done" but try to look beyond your scope."
Your view that we should look over the fence is well taken. There are wonderful boats in this world that are quite unlike what we are accustomed to and we tend to dismiss them without much thought. Here is a good example

http://www.ybw.com/fileBank/PDF/2355...5_mby_2_00.pdf

Make a special note of the FB design. Never seen one like that on US shores but I personally would prefer it to most of what I've seen. Looking overseas is a good way to get thinking out of the box.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

http://www.ybw.com/fileBank/PDF/2355...5_mby_2_00.pdf

Make a special note of the FB design. Never seen one like that on US shores but I personally would prefer it to most of what I've seen. Looking overseas is a good way to get thinking out of the box.
Eric, check out this Midnight Lace designed by Tom Fexas. Now there was a guy who could think outside the box. Notice the bridge in particular.

1985 Midnight Lace 44 Express Rumrunner Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Well now, wait a minute. I guess a fly-bridge version could be tastefully done, but for the important cockpit space taken by the ladder. Of course, it could be done in a hatch-like cutout similar to a Prarie 29.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vrijon fly1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	24908  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Don what a bunch of nice lines. Those bow riding cockpits were not "out of the box" in the past.

I'm surprised the FB dosn't look half bad. This boat is full of great details like the big scuppers and the exhaust in the rub rail.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #29
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Don what a bunch of nice lines. Those bow riding cockpits were not "out of the box" in the past.

I'm surprised the FB dosn't look half bad. This boat is full of great details like the big scuppers and the exhaust in the rub rail.
Fexas designed it in the "spirit" of the old New York commuter boats. Long and lean with easy planing surfaces the hull allowed good speeds with surprisingly low power. It's no wonder the bow cockpit caused you to harken back to that era. It was meant to.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

Eric, check out this Midnight Lace designed by Tom Fexas. Now there was a guy who could think outside the box. Notice the bridge in particular.

1985 Midnight Lace 44 Express Rumrunner Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Powderhorn sheer. Ugh.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #31

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you are too beat up to continue watch with a sharp mind...you will care about comfort as much as seaworthiness...You can kill yourself from bad decisions after a rough day in an intracoastal waterway if you are all beatup from a stiff motion boat.

I'm not saying that floating condos are seaworthy...but just looking at a picture in NO WAY can one know ANYTHING about it's stability...that's all I'm saying in addition to too much stability can be a bad thing.....

Just like some here think they can determine speed and efficiency from a picture and have been proven wrong countless times...

My "scope" is not easily discerned from a few internet posts...guessing seems to be a big pastime around here...
As I not like to profile my self on a hobby forum I will let this subject as is.

CeesH
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
As I not like to profile my self on a hobby forum I will let this subject as is.

CeesH
Don't worry about your background...no one seems to care here anyway....

If you have a bunch of numbers on the boat then post away and we'll judge for ourselves whether it's "seaworthy" or not.

If you don't...then please explain how you can judge seaworthiness (for sure) from a picture and it's not just some "boat show" generalization.

Not all off us are just "hobbyist's on a "hobby forum".....

Now which one is the plastic "tub" and which one is the global cruiser....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mainship_389_Pilot-01.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	24929  
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #33
FF
Guru

Now which one is the plastic "tub" and which one is the global cruiser....

NEITHER looks like it could carry enough fuel to do more than coast hop.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #34
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
FWIW,it's a nice little unit, however I would like to see a starboard transom door, not just for access but so the skipper can enjoy a bit of fresh air under way.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Thank you Cees for showing this boat. It really demonstrates what can be accomplished in a compact footprint, which is exactly what some of us are after in a boat.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Thank you Cees for showing this boat. It really demonstrates what can be accomplished in a compact footprint, which is exactly what some of us are after in a boat.
always said if I didn't live aboard but wanted a decent cruiser and fisherman...I'd get a 30-34 lobster hull and have an island queen, opposite head/shower, decent hanging locker and 2 comfortable seats below...small galley (almost camping style) up.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #37
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I love the rounded windows... very reminiscent of the 50's and 60's. It wasn't until the 1970's that windows had sharp points at the corners. That's one of the clues I use to guess the age of boats.

But golly gee, I like that boat! She's beautiful, and steel too. You an make a lot of mistakes with a steel boat. I wonder what her underside looks like. With as much care as shown for her inside I'm guessing they protected her propeller and rudder. Hope so at least.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #38
FF
Guru

Which was designed by Perkins (owned by Caterpillar), built by IHI Shibaura in Matsumoto, Japan and painted various colors by Caterpillar, Case New Holland, Manitou, and Northern Lights for various compact industrial equipment. Oh, yeah, and Volvo Penta.

This is good , a larger number of sources will not make parts cheaper , but assure parts availability in a decade or so.

All the Euro boats come with a rating A<B<C<D that is an estimate on their ability to go off shore .

A is good D is not so good.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote