EVA “teak” decking - flat or raised/beveled edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beaverlake

Vessel Name
Knot Home
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788 - 1998
I’m going to bite the bullet with a DIY decking project for the swimstep and the cockpit. Some of the EVA material has “raised planks” with beveled edges and some is flat like carpeting. Any experience or preferences (based on experience) out there in Forumland? Also what material did you use for templating - maybe 2 mil Mylar? I was unsuccessful searching for threads on projects - but before I start searching are there any big gotchas I should know before ordering?

I installed PlasDeck DIY and very pleased. I used the teak & off white caulk line to match the interior saloon sole. The off white does require a little TLC to keep bright. Some recommend the black caulk lines to avoid that issue. Very much a personal preference and not a show stopper IMO.
For a more complete write up w pics see Project Section on my Bacchus website
https://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus
For templating the mfg recommended Tyvek or equivalent / knock-off as it lays flat and is dimensionally stable. They sell a clear template matl (mylar?) For use where /if you have many hatch cut outs as it's easier with clear. If working right up to a vertical surface there are some tricks to get it exact.
I had the factory do the assembly as I preferred their plastic welded plank seams instead of the DIY super glue approach and the added cost was not huge and worth it to me.
If you cover any low spots like smooth FG between non skid areas you have to level with extra adhesive prior to or during install. Not difficult but there are a few tricks.
Plywood "pads" for walking & especially kneeling while working are a must to prevent leaving indentations.
I layed mine in 3 section, cockpit deck and 2 side decks in an afternoon with 2 helpers. One to roll with a flooring roller after laying and the other to hand us stuff and periodically clean towels while working.
Happy to provide more details if any questions.

I installed PlasDeck DIY and very pleased. I used the teak & off white caulk line to match the interior saloon sole. The off white does require a little TLC to keep bright. Some recommend the black caulk lines to avoid that issue. Very much a personal preference and not a show stopper IMO.
For a more complete write up w pics see Project Section on my Bacchus website
https://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus
For templating the mfg recommended Tyvek or equivalent / knock-off as it lays flat and is dimensionally stable. They sell a clear template matl (mylar?) For use where /if you have many hatch cut outs as it's easier with clear. If working right up to a vertical surface there are some tricks to get it exact.
I had the factory do the assembly as I preferred their plastic welded plank seams instead of the DIY super glue approach and the added cost was not huge and worth it to me.
If you cover any low spots like smooth FG between non skid areas you have to level with extra adhesive prior to or during install. Not difficult but there are a few tricks.
Plywood "pads" for walking & especially kneeling while working are a must to prevent leaving indentations.
I layed mine in 3 section, cockpit deck and 2 side decks in an afternoon with 2 helpers. One to roll with a flooring roller after laying and the other to hand us stuff and periodically clean towels while working.
Happy to provide more details if any questions.

You did a good job! Would you mind telling us how much you spent?

EVA is awesome. I've used it on both of my last two boats. The material is so easy to work with. You can literally cut it with orange fabric scissors. What a breeze.

Attachments

• 20200103_121155_HDR.jpg
    20200103_121155_HDR.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 85
EVA is awesome. I've used it on both of my last two boats. The material is so easy to work with. You can literally cut it with orange fabric scissors. What a breeze.

That looks good. Do you recall what brand of decking you used? Does it come with an adhesive back or did you have to use a separate adhesive?

Thanks.

Same question, Bacchus. Would you mind giving us a rough cut on the PlasDeck cost? Looks fantastic. Good work on your part!

That looks good. Do you recall what brand of decking you used? Does it come with an adhesive back or did you have to use a separate adhesive?

Thanks.

Any EVA faux teak from Amazon is the same. They are all mass produced in China. Just choose one.

Yes. They are adhesive backed. Its so easy to install and work with. I think I spent $150 total. PlasDeck or any competitor would be easily over $1000. I couldn't justify the cost of one of the big brands

You did a good job! Would you mind telling us how much you spent?

Sure - no problem

Short answer for estimating $30 - $35 / sq ft.

It's not inexpensive but we believe it is one of the best improvements / upgrades we've done to our Mainship and would do it again in an instant.
Our 4 pieces were around 67 sq ft and ran close to $2400 all in w/ S&H + adhesive. It would have been a couple hundred less w/o the margin board trim around all the pieces but I liked the more traditional teak deck look for our Mainship. ome of the more modern cruisers are going plain planking w/o margin board for a more modern look.

I have also used (and posted w/ pics) the interior PlasTeak sheet goods and really like it as well. Cost was sheet good price available online plus $100 for the cutting to my template - well worth it IMO as the fit was excellent and I did very little fine tuning at dry fit.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s11/ms-34-t-ht-fwd-cabin-sole-upgrade-46119.html

The folks at PlasDeck / PlasTeak were great to deal with - shared many tips for templates and instillation. They provided several plank layouts for my templates and make adjustments until we had the look I wanted.

Last edited:
Sure - no problem

Short answer for estimating $30 - $35 / sq ft.

It's not inexpensive but we believe it is one of the best improvements / upgrades we've done to our Mainship and would do it again in an instant.
Our 4 pieces were around 67 sq ft and ran close to $2400 all in w/ S&H + adhesive. It would have been a couple hundred less w/o the margin board trim around all the pieces but I liked the more traditional teak deck look for our Mainship. ome of the more modern cruisers are going plain planking w/o margin board for a more modern look.

I have also used (and posted w/ pics) the interior PlasTeak sheet goods and really like it as well. Cost was sheet good price available online plus $100 for the cutting to my template - well worth it IMO as the fit was excellent and I did very little fine tuning at dry fit.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s11/ms-34-t-ht-fwd-cabin-sole-upgrade-46119.html

The folks at PlasDeck / PlasTeak were great to deal with - shared many tips for templates and instillation. They provided several plank layouts for my templates and make adjustments until we had the look I wanted.

Considering the outcome that sounds like a fair price. I am a firm believer in buying once and crying once. The peel and stick Amazon products look exactly like the description... Kind of like contact paper for your decks. You did the right thing.

Considering the outcome that sounds like a fair price. I am a firm believer in buying once and crying once. The peel and stick Amazon products look exactly like the description... Kind of like contact paper for your decks. You did the right thing.

That's funny!
We have said many times re: many projects - "It only hurts once when you write the check" (more like charge to CC these days but agree.
We are pleased by many home & boat projects where we have chosen to do the quality option. We get to enjoy it and hopefully get at least a partial return on investment when we sell but the priority is OUR enjoyment.
Thanks for your comment

Seems like spending a lot of money for flooring that needs to be protected with plywood when you walk on it is not spending money wisely.

Seems like spending a lot of money for flooring that needs to be protected with plywood when you walk on it is not spending money wisely.

The plywood is a temp during install only so you don't squeeze out uncured adhesive with point loading - remove it the next day and enjoy the new decking - sorry for any confusion.

I used the cheeper faux teak peel and stick available on ebay on the front house of my boat. Loved it at first, then after close to two years it started to delaminate from its backing and bleeding color when washed or sat on. I'm removing it and installing woven vinyl flooring, also available in a teak like print. I used it on the rear house approximately the same time and it still looks brand new. It also comes in wider rolls, less seams. I'm sure the more expensive faux teak products are better, but the stuff I got off eBay didn't hold up.

I have done this on a couple boats, my biggest suggestion(s) I can give you.
1. Take your time templating
2. purchase electric scissors (they look like a mini circular saw)
3. get something w/ a pattern. The non-patterned flat surfaces made for a slippery surface when mixed w/ suntan lotion/oil and water.

Thanks Scott. Good advice on the scissors - I imagine I can find something on Amazon. I’ll get templating material at TAP Plastics thanks to the suggestion here. The texture note is a good one.

Back
Top Bottom