Old 09-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Europa Trawler Engine room inventory

Hi Everyone,

I am newer to the forum but have really enjoyed it.

I recently acquired a 36 foot Europa Trawler that I picked up as a project boat. The person whom I got it from really got ahead of themselves on the project. It needed the cabin rebuilt and upgraded due to rot which he accomplished.

When I say he got ahead of himself when he decided to pull out most of the mechanics and everything down below except the engine which is a single Ford Lehman 120hp.

I have a few of the parts but not sure exactly what I have. At this point I am not a mechanic and most likely will hire someone to put everything back together for me. But now my goal is going to get a complete inventory of what is down below so I can start looking for the parts locally or online.

So does anyone have a list what could be in the mechanical area of the boat for me, please!

As I am sure everyone is aware here on the forum is the Europa Trawler and Marine Trader are pretty much the same boat.

Also, any referrals for a good mechanic in the Seattle area that knows this boat would be appreciated.

Thanks and much appreciation to everyone.

Jackey
Jackey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Moved from "How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns" to "General Discussion".
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
To put this in the most polite way possible. If you don't know what you don't know, then you are way, way, way over your head. To take on this kind of a project with an open checkbook will undoubtedly leave you spending much more money than it would cost to buy a turn-key boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
FF
Guru

The installed items will depend on the intended use of the boat.

Cruising , anchoring out mostly , is a very different boat from a weekend cottage or full time live aboard.

From the questions you ask and the price of even marginal labor , BAIL OUT NOW!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Confused. The guy took everything out of the engine room to rebuild but no longer has the stuff to put back? Then you need to buy everything new and pay someone to install.
Wow!
Did he leave the prop shaft, rudder,steering gear, shift a throttle cables, fuel lines, filters tanks, water tanks, water heater, hoses, pumps, seacocks,batteries, cables, waste tank, macerator, and generator?
$20-30k for parts alone to get started.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
Guru

Genset, house/main/genset battery banks, air conditioner compressor if HVAC equipped, fuel filters, fuel tanks, seacocks, exhaust/mufflers, sound deadening/insulation, fire suppression system, raw water strainers, and transmission cooler are the minimum of things in most engine rooms off the top of my head. The necessary fuel/water plumbing and wiring I take for granted.
Of course the main engine, transmission, and prop shaft go without saying. I was assuming those were still in place.

Being an optimistic DIY'er and usually willing to take on projects many others won't give a second glance....I must reluctantly agree with others' advice regarding trying to dump this boat before you get too far in.

Unless you got it EXTREMELY cheap and the rest of the boat is pristine OR you have some sentimental attachment to this particular boat. Having to pay someone to refit this much stuff is going to put you into the bracket of having been able to come pretty close to buying a ready to go example albeit with older/used components that this boat would have as new when completed. The trade off comes when you try to factor in how much added value this boat would have once completed vs a good condition well maintained "original" version od the same boat.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
You need to hire a surveyor to give you such a list for your boat.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Here
I've totally rebuilt three boats 37 - 43'. All three were functional when I bought them. I spent about $100k on each in the rebuild process and Sharon and I do everything ourselves. The difference is that I knew going in that these were money loosing projects and didn't care. Hopefully you are in the same position.

I wish you luck but it sounds like you are seriously over your head.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #9

Pictures

Maybe pictures of what is left in the engine space and pictures of what you have for parts will help. I can't imagine they pulled EVERYTHING out of the engine space except the engine. If so it is a DIY project for sure.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
If it’s going to be a dock queen, mount a used 9.9 xtra long shaft outboard and call it a day. Don’t forget to seal off all of the holes!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #11
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Gees you guys. You scared off the newbie.

Jackey13, I have done some crazy things with smaller boats. I have to agree with these guys, I would step away if it isn't too late. If it is, I hope you didn't lay out much money. I would cut my losses and sell in that case.

If you're not extremely familiar with ship's systems, you're going to be out triple or more what the same or similar boat would cost ready to cruise away.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
What is remaining in it?
As suggested a few photos of be!ow would help us help you.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. We need photos to see what you are working with.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #14
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Europa Trawler Engine room inventory

I’m in Seattle and while I’m not a mechanic (nor to I work on boats for a living) I’m a serial DIYer and would be happy to come over and help you inventory what you have and what you need.

Just PM me
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, lehman 120, mechanic, parts