Europa Headroom.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grae

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nordic Blue
Vessel Make
Nimbus 380 Commander
We were on board a Clipper 40 (Europa) recently and despite a predilection for raised pilothouse trawlers fell for the walkaround under cover deck with, I would guess, 6ft 6in headroom both inside and out. The Clipper is a Chinese sourced boat based, I think, on the CHB hull, and marketed in Australasia and Europe. The new North Pacific 38 Sedan is similar.
We were wondering about the feasibility of investing less in an older model with the option of upgrading where necessary and with smaller ultimate depreciation should we ever sell! We hope to leave that to our beneficiaries!
My question is: what is the headroom, both internal and in the cockpit and side decks, on Europa style Island Traders and Performance Trawlers vintage 1985 + .
I have learned through the forum that at least one was not suitable for a 6ft 4in person and I am 6ft 3ins.
We intend to become cruise-aboards.
Thought it best to open this to non-owners as someone else may have the knowledge.
Any info appreciated thanks, Grae.

Grae, I second your appreciation of the Clipper 40, nice boats. There are some with twins, some with singles + thrusters, currently for sale in Australia.
Did you intend to say "Island Trader", or do you mean "Island Gypsy"?

Hi Bruce,
I see I really said Island Trader (must be the proximity of Aus!).
I was really referring to Marine Trader in the U.S.
Mixed the names. Cellphone off-the-cuff!
Gypsy trader would also be of interest but it seems Australian boat prices are as high as NZ plus we would have to add 15% GST + shipping ($40K ish) if we bought a boat in Australia. The Australian owner would have already paid 10% GST to add to the selling price.
Maybe we could find one in USA in which case it would be a option.
Thanks for the response.
Grae.

Make that the Island Gypsy!!
It's late and there are alot of options including much "badge engineering" as we used to call the Austin/Morris/Riley/MG marketing in the '60s in the UK and commonwealth.

Hi from another (ex) Kiwi Grae. I used to live not far from Morrinsville - went to Whitehall and Hinuera schools for a time.

For what it's worth, my 1975 vintage Clipper (CHB) 34, has just as much headroom as the later Europa "Evolution' series models - mine being a sedan, but I had a sort of extended frame and canvas cover over the side decks and cockpit, rather like what the later Europa models have in F/G hard-top. Works for us.

Grae, I have an 1987 Marine Trader Sedan Europa, and I can tell you at 6'3" you would probably not be happy with the headroom outside at about 6'2" - 6-3 on the covered walkways and cockpit. Inside saloon is 6'7" - 6'8" and staterooms and bath are approx 6'5". Except for the saloon, at 6'3", I would think the height everywhere else would be somewhat uncomfortable for you.

Thanks Pete,
We're actually R.D.1, Morrinsville but in Kiwitahi.
Cheers, Grae.

Grae, I second your appreciation of the Clipper 40, nice boats. There are some with twins, some with singles + thrusters, currently for sale in Australia.
Thanks MYMT,
That's very helpful and may put the kybosh on the Marine Trader potential.
I wonder if all MTs of that era are the same? If so then maybe Performance Trawler Europas have more side deck headroom.
Grae.

Bruce, your Island Gypsy is a great looking boat. Headroom? Thanks, Grae.

I'm not sure about all the others, so possibly a different year may make a difference. I know Albins have good headroom, but I don't think they make Europa style..I could be wrong about that though..

Back
Top Bottom