Old 10-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Hard to imagine that like fishing licenses...they can't prorate the length of stay...

Have any info why? Anyone hear why?
I understand the marina and restaurant owners banded together and stopped the latest proposed increase. I think it's just a money thing. They think cruisers are rich. Maybe so, but no one likes to get ripped off.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
They think cruisers are rich. Maybe so, but no one likes to get ripped off.
Anyone who cruises their own boat to Bermuda or the Bahamas is rich...or at the very least "extremely well off!" ===============>

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
$300 is a lot but the Bahamas are not alone in charging high fees. When we went to Brazil, as US citizens, we had to pay $160 each to get our visas. We had to apply ahead of time since they are required to be in hand prior to arrival. And the $160 was called a "reciprocity" fee. It seems that the US charges the same for Brazilian citizens applying for a US visa.

That $300 does give you unlimited entries into the Bahamas for the first 90 days, a free 90 day fishing license, the pet permit is only $10, no over time fees and access to some of the best cruising within 100 miles of the US. But don't forget to bring the beer. Last June, the cheapest we saw was $48.00 for a case of 24.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
$300 is a lot but the Bahamas are not alone in charging high fees. When we went to Brazil, as US citizens, we had to pay $160 each to get our visas. We had to apply ahead of time since they are required to be in hand prior to arrival. And the $160 was called a "reciprocity" fee. It seems that the US charges the same for Brazilian citizens applying for a US visa.

That $300 does give you unlimited entries into the Bahamas for the first 90 days, a free 90 day fishing license, the pet permit is only $10, no over time fees and access to some of the best cruising within 100 miles of the US. But don't forget to bring the beer. Last June, the cheapest we saw was $48.00 for a case of 24.
Quite right on all points, Larry. For an extended cruise to the Bahamas it seems pretty reasonable. My concern is about the high expense for a couple or three days on a long weekend. There should be a prorated permit for that.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I mean how hard is it? You go to some backwaters fish camp there a guy with a great tooth and the sister he's married to sells you a fishing license and collects money and hopefully sends some to the state.

You can get one in most places for 3 days, a week, sometimes 10 day or 2 weeks, and yearly ( how hard could it be to make another category or two)...

Then there's trout stamps and another for keep versus catch and release, etc...etc...etc..

If Bubba and his honey can handle all that...I would hope the Bahamian government could also.

I understand there might be a pretty high threshold for just the paperwork process (but then boat size doesn't matter)...but it's certainly not $300 so I tend to agree that running over for the weekend...it's a bit steep....but I'm open to reason if the Bahamians have a good reason.....and can convince their own retailers it works.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Anyone who cruises their own boat to Bermuda or the Bahamas is rich...or at the very least "extremely well off!" ===============>
dahum Walt, I know I'm a cheapskate, and you know it. It would be nice if you let the others figure it out for themselves. John D. Rockefeller would only tip a dime. He may have had more money than me.