Old 04-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: PassChristian MS
I use a block and tackle to tension the V belt.
jwilsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #22
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
RTF, do you not use box end wrenches or do you just grab the non-ratcheting ones first? I find myself grabbing the ratchet box end instead of my socket wrench when ever I can.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. j. Ah, shingles....Flat, easy to stow 3, 4 or 5, very soft and easy to carve/cut, rot resistant, splits easily and usually quite straight, smells nice and can be used for: filling stripped screw holes, wedging noisy windows/doors or general shimming, fishing floats, backing for patching holes with epoxy, shore side fire starter, temporary handle extensions for tools (light duty) and small stir sticks to name a few uses...OK, Ms. j, what is a D-clamp?
Mr. HC. Yup, I DO use box end wrenches and the non ratcheting work just fine for me. I could see the advantage of the ratchet if a long thread was involved but as I said, it's what one is used to.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilsail View Post
I was thinking of getting a set of the ratchet box end wrenches. I would think the open end box end combo would be the way to go. Should zi get English or metric for a FL135? What size range?
IIRC the British did not start oozing over into the metric system until the late 60s and the conversion dribbled on until it was pretty thoroughly implemented by the late 1970s. So the Ford of England Dorset and Dover diesels (the base engines for the FL120 and FL135) were designed in the pre-metric era.

While I have not done much work on our FL120s other than changing lubricants, filters, belts, and coolers, I have not run into any metric fasteners. That's not to say one might not find a British standard fastener here and there, Whitworth or some such thing. I run into that on my 1973 Land Rover from time to time.

We have metric socket and open/box end wrench sets on the boat because there is other stuff on board that's proven to have metric fasteners.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Didn't see this one, but a long pair of hemostats, the most used tool ever. They hold the little nut, long enuff to get started in that can't reach spot. Great for retrieving the little bolt that fell down in the hole you can't see. Hold the little wires to crimp or solder, the list goes on.
Also, some small spring clamps. Enuff said.
I build separate canvas bags for electrical, small carpentry, and general repair. It sucks to have to run back and forth from fly bridge to engine room for that hex head driver, or that crimping tool needed.
Solder gun, heat gun and last but not least, a good VOM meter.
Trust me, you'll improve the list as you learn, good luck.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ah, Mr. CC's post twigged my memory...Get a couple of these....

Great for carrying small tools to a job site and putting removed parts in before they escape to the bilge...Just a couple of bucks at Big Lots or Wally Mart...
Old 04-23-2015, 11:34 PM   #27
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Yep, Mr RT, not only the bilge, but sometimes, over the side. Seems to me, every time I get ahead of myself, I lose that little thing over the side.
Not you really have a long trip to replace.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:53 AM   #28
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Digital Multimeter, a bright portable light, and my new friend, the Klein 11 in 1 screwdriver.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #29
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I would not go anywhere with out my electrical set. Which includes a multimeter, multiple crimpers, dykes, a lot off connectors, and my heat gun. Of course I have more common tools also like wrenches, sockets and the like.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #30
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Janice, I have never heard of a D clamp is it the same as a C clamp held sideways?? I do carry a couple of C and spring clamps on board.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #31

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
I have screw drivers with clips on the end to hold small screws for both straight & cross-point screws, helps to keep from dropping the screws in non-retrievable places.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #32
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Tools are only as good as you are.

Specialty tools are really only necessary for those travelling far from civilization or places that don't have hardware stores or Advance Auto type places that don't lend or rent specialty tools.

Having a bunch of tools to do projects aboard that you probably would wait to do correctly when you get back just take up room and get old and rusty or are so buried you wind up just using the 11 in 1 or the crescent wrench...why?...because its handy and will get the job done.

While many varied tools make jobs easier for the talented, experienced, whatever....reality is for many jobs on the boat, the multipurpose tool (like the 11 in 1 screwdriver) will get the job done till in port or better yet, homeport).

Sure...if you are the type...own and store the best 2000 piece tool set properly stored that goes for $10,000+....but many get the job done just fine with far less.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #33
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
All you need is a credit card, a towboat card, and a satphone.

Just kidding.

I carried 100lbs of tools on my last month long cruise. Needed a screwdriver once to fix a fishing reel and also to fix my bike. Boat systems needed virtually no fixes.

My theory is if you take enough tools, the gods of machinery are satisfied with your humility and will protect your machines from gremlins.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #34
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We have more tools on the boat than at home. Pretty much everything that has already been covered here, so not much to add. What I will add, however, is a good storage system. Several years ago I gave up on tool boxes for staples like screwdrivers, wrenches and pliers. They are bulky, hard to find things burried at the bottom, and often wasted space. I now have several tool rolls on board. One for screwdrivers and wrenches, another for pliers and such. It is great how easy it is to see what you have, and they take up much less room. This is the one we use:

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leather...xp_grid_pt_1_0

Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #35
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Those "wrench wraps" are awesome. Got three, SAE, DIN, and big wrenches.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #36
Guru

Don't get me wrong....I love tools and have been working as a multi-level marine tech on boats for 15 years and over 40 years on my own boats.

But what are you ACTUALLY going to use while underway/cruising?

Based on many posts here through the years....many have yards do what I consider pretty easy jobs not requiring any special tools.

So while Ski was kidding...based on 12 years+ with a towing company....many boaters, including the looping type do just rely on towing and a credit card...

So if you are not...good...more tools the merrier. If you are that type...why struggle with stowing and remembering where they all are?
Old 04-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #37
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Psneeld - We have a lot of tools on the boat for a few reasons:

1. We have a very small home with limited storage. In some repsects, I have more room for tools on the boat than at home. Also, being that home is a condo and relatively new, we don't do much in the way of projects at home.
2. Prior to the Tug, we had an 80s sailboat on which we did almost a complete refit over the course of 7 years of ownership. Needed lots of tools on the boat for that.
3. We (I) do all the work on the boat ourselves. Everything from fiberglass and gelcoat repairs, to engine mechanical. So we need all the tools and supplies with us.
4. It is a real pain to drive from home to the boat just to realize that we (I) don't have a tool that we need.
5. I was an auto tech in a prior life, and collecting good tools is in my blood. The wife never complains if I spend money on tools, as it means that something is going to get fixed/upgraded.
6. Why not? We've got the room and I use just about everything over the course of a year (except maybe the skill saw).

All that said, we do have tow insurance and a credit card. But, I actually enjoy working on the boat, crazy as that sounds, and I like to be self sufficient. The tools do take up space, but not enough to really be an issue for us.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
Psneeld - We have a lot of tools on the boat for a few reasons:

1. We have a very small home with limited storage. In some repsects, I have more room for tools on the boat than at home. Also, being that home is a condo and relatively new, we don't do much in the way of projects at home.
2. Prior to the Tug, we had an 80s sailboat on which we did almost a complete refit over the course of 7 years of ownership. Needed lots of tools on the boat for that.
3. We (I) do all the work on the boat ourselves. Everything from fiberglass and gelcoat repairs, to engine mechanical. So we need all the tools and supplies with us.
4. It is a real pain to drive from home to the boat just to realize that we (I) don't have a tool that we need.
5. I was an auto tech in a prior life, and collecting good tools is in my blood. The wife never complains if I spend money on tools, as it means that something is going to get fixed/upgraded.
6. Why not? We've got the room and I use just about everything over the course of a year (except maybe the skill saw).

All that said, we do have tow insurance and a credit card. But, I actually enjoy working on the boat, crazy as that sounds, and I like to be self sufficient. The tools do take up space, but not enough to really be an issue for us.
OK...not hard to understand...my nor anyone else's suggestions should be taken personally or absolutely.

I have done some woodworking on my boat. I used to have table saws, routers, jig saws, band saws, miter saws, circular saws, specialty saws, hand saws, coping saws, reciprocating saws...etc...etc.

Guess what I had on the boat and got the job done?

Many boaters I know have way more spare parts and tools on their boat than they are willing to put to good use while coastal cruising.

For people asking what tools they need, all I am saying is be honest with yourself rather than relying on someone else's list.

I have a friend that has a top notch multimeter on board....for 20 years now...he still doesn't know jack about electricity and troubleshooting it.

He also has a sextant...I don't...but he wants me to teach him how to use it.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #39
Guru

City: gulf coast
I started with all the basic tool plus stuff unique to my boat that I could think of while sitting in the ER considering tasks. Then as I did work I added tool specific to that job or more helpful. Eventually I never needed to leave theboat for more tools. Worked well for me.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
But what are you ACTUALLY going to use while underway/cruising?
I could write a very long post about what I have repaired while underway or at anchor but I won't. Many times it's for a cruising buddy, sometimes to help a stranger.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote