Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #41
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Agree with all the suggestions for Calder - we have him in our library. I also suggest Don Casey - his boats are targeted to sail, but the vast majority of the information will relate to both sail and power. We have both editions of "Good Old Boat" by Casey, and another by him that combines several of his books on electrical, fiberglass, canvas repair, etc. (the name escapes me at the moment). Those are the ones I use the most, along with the actual oem shop and parts manuals for our engine. Of course, the Casey books are best for those who have an older boat and do their own repairs. As for internet vs. book, I just don't see myself with a laptop or tablet computer while working in the bilge or on the engine. I don't mind a few smudges on my books (shows that I use them) and don't worry if I drop a tool on them. Just my two cents.

- just say the above and agree, Peggy Hall's book on eliminating boat odors is great.

Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #42
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Peggy Hall's book on eliminating boat odors is great.

OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #43
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
If you realy want to talk crap about boating Peggy Hall has a book that I recomend as a boat owner that has a head.

But its on the boat and I aint got the valve set correct so cant remember the name.

Amazon.com: Get Rid of Boat Odors: A Boat Owner's Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor (9781892399151): Peggie Hall: Books
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #44
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Active Captain,
Quote " I seriously doubt we'll ever go back to the time when you call a manufacturer to ask them to mail you a brochure about their products, as an example." Indeed. Looking at adds for products you don't get phone numbers to call! Just web addresses. And you aren't given a clue where in the world (literally) they are.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #45
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Active Captain,
Quote " I seriously doubt we'll ever go back to the time when you call a manufacturer to ask them to mail you a brochure about their products, as an example." Indeed. Looking at adds for products you don't get phone numbers to call! Just web addresses. And you aren't given a clue where in the world (literally) they are.
There is still a significant portion of the population in the world (and in the good old USA) that has no Internet access and will not have Internet access for whatever reason. A company that wants to be competetive will still have to answer phones and mail out catalogs and brochures.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #46
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
I just picked up a brand new Stil chain saw. There is no paper owners manual with the new saw only a CD a few extra goodies along with a hat.

I did have a bit of a laugh while holding the saw and looking at the mountain peaks from the beach. Never thought to bring the PC along. The saw did run well however.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #47
Guru

City: Georgia
I just love it when the internet goes down and you call their tech support number and the voice prompt tells you to visit their website. THAT'S WHY I'M CALLING
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #48
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Skipper Bob was mentioned earlier. Two thumbs up. A wonderful resource to travel with.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #49
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Recently acquired; "The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring" by Earl Hinz, "Chapman Piloting - Seamanship and small boat handeling", and Nigel Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual".

That should keep me entertained for a while
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #50
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
For off-season reading, or reading at the anchorage:

Sailing Alone Around the World, Joshua Slocum. THE FIRST person to solo circumnavigate, in a boat he built himself.
Sailing Alone Around the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fastnet, Force 10, John Rousmaniere
1979 Fastnet race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Proving Ground, G. Bruce Knecht.
Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cruise of the Snark, Jack London.
The Cruise of the Snark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charlies Charts
Cruising Guides, Pacific Cruising Guide, Charlie's Charts, Ocean Navigation Charts
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #51
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Agree with almost all of the above. I look at all sources as a means of triangulating myself to the true answer for my particular issue. As we got into cruising, Chapman's was a terrific introduction and resource. The best investment we ever made in boating was in joining Club Nautique in Alameda, Ca and taking their full suite of on the water training classes, which included among many things excellent navigation training, in classroom and on water. I'd boated most of my life, but casually (way too casually), and this was absolutely invaluable.

We like to anchor, so the Hinz book was an early resource, occasionally still consulted. Since we bought our boat after years of chartering (wherein one usually calls the charter company if you have any problems), Calder's Mechanical and Electrical is heavily thumbed and used.

One that isn't mentioned that has great value to people contemplating the purchase of a boat is David Pascoe's "Mid Sized Power Boats", especially the first half or two thirds. He takes a lot of the romance and wrong thinking out of the starry-eyed boat buying process and focusses on systems issues and life spans, construction techniques, and ergonomics. Yes, you have to take some of his opinions about specific boats, engines (dated, for one thing)and manufacturers with some blocks of salt (he manages to insult almost every type of boat popular here), but the general practical issues he discusses are spot on, invaluable when shopping and inspecting and evaluating.

Also as mentioned the most valuable resource post-purchase are the engine service manuals, ditto for the generator, and manuals for the boat and all other equipment, plus the wiring and plumbing diagrams and schematics. A very big factor in buying my particular boat was that it came with all of these (Except the engines service manual which I bought), plus the PO supplied all the receipts and work orders for the years he owned the boat. I cannot over emphasize what an enormous difference this makes in time, money, safety and sanity.

caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, essential books, technical manual