Espresso Machines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Curious what if any of you are using for espresso machines onboard. I forget where I had read but something about boat electrical and these machines not playing well together.

Any tips?

I committed to a built-in. Like others said, a pure sine wave inverter is a must for a full-featured machine. This Bosch draws a lot of amps and my only caution is to be aware your fridge or other appliances could kick on at the same time you need all your nav computers working without a current drop. So I make espresso while on shore power or with genset running. No problems.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 53
I have the Gaggia Anima Prestige, a fraction of the cost of the prior S9 and IMHO makes as good of an espresso. The Gaggia brewing unit is super easy to remove and clean. The Jura probably has more bells and whistles but 99% of the time I’m only making espresso so couldn’t justify buying another Jura. My last Jura was 12 yrs old and still going strong but needed to get rid of it as I was returning from overseas and it was a 220v version.

At www.partsguru.com you can get all coffee maker parts and they do repairs also.

We likewise don't make heavy use of the extra features. Mainly because of the added clean-up associated with drinks using milk. Americano and espresso, most of the time.

Partsguru, that's the place.

If it is hot, filled with caffeine sugar and canned milk, I am happy.
On my boat, open counter food preparation space is more important than the perfect cup of coffee. LOL

Nescafe Clasico, Dark Roast is my go to coffee. With sugar and milk of course.

After seeing everyone's posts I looked around that big online store and I am considering a moka.

Burr grinder works great with inverter. Coffee comes from a Flair. Great espresso, no electricity, nothing to wear out. Amazed and delighted with the number of coffee aficionados on the forum. Glad there are other eccentrics out there.

I have the Gaggia Anima Prestige, a fraction of the cost of the prior S9 and IMHO makes as good of an espresso. The Gaggia brewing unit is super easy to remove and clean. The Jura probably has more bells and whistles but 99% of the time I’m only making espresso so couldn’t justify buying another Jura.

To follow up, we did get a Gaggia and it fits nicely on the galley counter in our EB47. Works reliably from the generator too. It does a nice job making espresso, cappuccino and macchiato coffee drinks. It doesn't make as strong a brew as the Jura though. I tested them side-by-side at home with the same beans. Still plenty strong enough for most folks. The Jura makes a stronger brew but does take more bean to do it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

We have a Jura superautomatic at home but went with a DeLonghi Latissima Nespresso machine on board for space reasons. It briefly draws about 1200 watts on warm up, which our 3kW inverter handles fine from the house bank with a little dim of the lights. You have to pick two out of three of the battery charger, the water maker, and the espresso machine if you don’t want to bring our 6kW Northern Lights generator to its knees though!

Moka Pots (like in post #16) are now available for induction stove tops. 4 minutes for 10 cups of espresso (makes about 3 regular cups of Americano). If filled half full of water and completely full of grounds it will make a cup of coffee that can stand up a spoon. Everything I need.

Cost is about $50 (I tell people my machine cost $900). Cleanup is fast and simple (I tell people it requires 20 minutes by a licensed barista). No need for spare parts (I tell people that I have to send to Italy). That story should keep me in the TF big spender club.

Froo froo coffee drinks requires spending another $7.

To follow up, we did get a Gaggia and it fits nicely on the galley counter in our EB47. Works reliably from the generator too. It does a nice job making espresso, cappuccino and macchiato coffee drinks. It doesn't make as strong a brew as the Jura though. I tested them side-by-side at home with the same beans. Still plenty strong enough for most folks. The Jura makes a stronger brew but does take more bean to do it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Glad to hear, our last Gaggia bit the dust a few months ago while cruising in the Bahamas. It was about 5 years old but we usually make at least 5-6 espressos per day so that’s 9000 or so which I suppose isn’t an unreasonable life considering it’s modest cost. We now carry a French press and grinder for backup for the next time the automated gaggia quits while out cruising.

Glad to hear, our last Gaggia bit the dust a few months ago while cruising in the Bahamas. It was about 5 years old but we usually make at least 5-6 espressos per day so that’s 9000 or so which I suppose isn’t an unreasonable life considering it’s modest cost. We now carry a French press and grinder for backup for the next time the automated gaggia quits while out cruising.
Our Saeco super automatic that we bought 17-years ago has over 25,000 cups of coffee on the electronic counter. We had it serviced once about 2-years ago. No special care given, though we descale once in a while when we get tired of the warning light.

Peter

Our Saeco super automatic that we bought 17-years ago has over 25,000 cups of coffee on the electronic counter. We had it serviced once about 2-years ago. No special care given, though we descale once in a while when we get tired of the warning light.

Peter

They just don’t build things like they used to.

We’re duplicating our home espresso machine on the boat. Our Helmsman 38E is still under construction but we are having it built to accommodate a fully automatic espresso machine. Ours is a DeLonghi Dinamica. It makes perfect coffee and frothed milk with the push of a button. It grinds the beans and brews coffee beverages to individual specifications.

On our old boat, our inverter didn’t produce pure sine wave power so we had to buy a portable generator to run what was essentially a gasoline powered espresso machine.

Here’s clip from a promotional video that mentions our boat.
https://clipchamp.com/watch/3639MOQ2Cmt

Back
Top Bottom