Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Especially for you single screw guys

Marin got me thinking about this.* In the early part of September each year for a couple of days there is the National Hard*Crab Derby.* It is sort of the Bay Watermens' celebration of the hard crab season.* It is in Chrisfield MD.* As part of it is the Watermens' docking contest.* It is a fun couple of days, and you rub shoulders with the men you see working on the Bay as we boat around.* They are great and interesting people.* They also know how to let their hair down and have a good time.* Watch this video along with your crews, and see if it will sharpen your docking skills.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 04:07:54 PM

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
RE: Especially for you single screw guys

Great. is more my style but I need to sharpen my docking skills.

dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Those guys are a bunch of amateurs!! :cowboy:
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
Those guys are a bunch of amateurs!! :cowboy:
*OK, Tony.* I'm coming up to Island Point this weekend to have you demonstrate some real boat handling.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -

The docking contests look like a lot of fun, and, if one has the guts and the boat, a lot of fun to participate in. This is still the most impressive docking I've seen to date. It's from the Tilghman Bay docking contest....

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

I need more practice!* I'm still working on slow.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

...and what's your point, Woody? Yes, two engines DO allow you to hit the dock at a higher rate of speed. So what? Do I detect a bit of jealousy here? ;-)
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

That's pretty amazing. When people whine about the notion of requireing licenses for boaters--- as we do for cars, motorcycles, airplanes, over-the-road trucks --- they should watch this video. Unlike any other form of high powered, potentially damaging and even killing form of transportation, all that is required to operate a boat is the money to buy it.

This sort of thing is more common than one might expect. Just two weekends ago we were in Friday Harbor when a fellow with a 40-something foot, twin engine Bayliner came close to to doing this very same thing, both going out and coming back a few hours later. When he came back he completely lost control of the boat and in reponse to shouted instructions from other boaters kept responding that he had no steering control. After coming very close to hitting nearby boats, somebody came out with a dingy and put another boater on board. Apparently the Bayliner "skipper" was more than happy to turn everything over to someone else.

The boater who boarded immediately regained control of the boat and docked it in its slip with no problems at all.

It's one thing to watch an incompetent person try to maneuver a 15 foot runabout. It's a whole different deal when they are trying to maneuver 15 tons or more of boat in a crowded marina. And as long as they or their insurance company can pay the damages, they can be right out there the next weekend doing exactly the same thing.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
...and what's your point, Woody? Yes, two engines DO allow you to hit the dock at a higher rate of speed. So what? Do I detect a bit of jealousy here? ;-)

haha! *YES Flywright- us single screw guys are too cheap to buy a boat with*twin screws so we have to reduce ourselves to finding youtube videos proving how incompetent twin screw boaters are. *hahaha. **Except you of course*

Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Just to play on the opposite side for a second... I can see that even WITH some instruction, a new boater can panic, freeze, or just get really confused about what to do and how to fix it. I wouldn't beat the guy up too bad.

As for docking contests? Certainly a contest that started with a "Hey y'all, watch this."
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Just to play on the opposite side for a second... I can see that even WITH some instruction, a new boater can panic, freeze, or just get really confused about what to do and how to fix it. I wouldn't beat the guy up too bad.

As for docking contests? Certainly a contest that started with a "Hey y'all, watch this."
*Tom, the famous last words of a red neck are"hey ya'll, hold my beer, and watch this".
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
Master and Commander

Quote:
Marin wrote:
...*Unlike any other form of high powered, potentially damaging and even killing form of transportation, all that is required to operate a boat is the money to buy it.
*FREEDOM!

So, do we need*different licenses for single-screw versus double-screw, versus with or without bow thruster, under 8 meters, under 12 meters, ad nauseum?**Should we (owners/masters)*hire captains until a license is obtained?

I feel relatively safe with a single berth several feet longer than needed to accommodate*the boat.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:Marin wrote:
...*Unlike any other form of high powered, potentially damaging and even killing form of transportation, all that is required to operate a boat is the money to buy it.
*FREEDOM!

So, do we need*different licenses for single-screw versus double-screw, versus with or without bow thruster, under 8 meters, under 12 meters, ad nauseum?**Should we (owners/masters)*hire captains until a license is obtained?

I feel relatively safe with a single berth several feet longer than needed to accommodate*the boat.

*Mark, I say a man should have the right to tear his boat up any way he wants.* He just has to be responsible for damage to others.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
Master and Commander

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Mark, I say a man should have the right to tear his boat up any way he wants.* He just has to be responsible for damage to others.
*No argument here, Don.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
Guru

You know, in looking at Gonzo's avatar and watching that heart breaking video again, the boat in the vid and Gonzo's sure look similar!!

You know, I don't judge that guy who is wrecking in that video. My heart goes out to him. He no doubt has caused quite a bit of damage to his own vessel, probably some neighboring ones, and you know it was NOT a good day of boating for him. If I were on the dock with him I would hope I'd give him a cold drink and a pat on the back saying no worries. But I must say....it makes me cringe to watch that video!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
*I don't know what the practical answer is.*

But I take it you're fine with a recent immigrant from Hong Kong buying a new boat (Bayliner as it so happened) in Vancouver*and then proceeding to run it between a tug and its tow, hang the boat up on the towline, at which point the barge ran over the boat and killed the majority of the family and invited guests on board including a baby and a couple of kids?

I assume you're fine, then, with a boater buying a boat and then proceding to take it out in rough water, lose control of the boat, and have it flipped with the loss of everyone on board?

I take it you're fine with the proud new owner of a 50-something foot boat taking it out for the first time and doing about $50,000 worth of damage to the neighboring boats in the marina*as well as his own?

Since you're just fine with all of that--- all of which were actual occurances, by the way--- I assume you would be fine with letting people plunk down the money for a car and then procede to drive it with no prior driving experience at all.

I don't see why driving or even pilot licenses should be required at all, really.* Since people are apparently fine with people getting killed by totally inexperienced boaters there should be no difference at all between that and people getting killed by totally inexperienced drivers or pilots.* Dead is dead, right?* How you died doesn't make much difference once you have died, right?*

Drving a cars's dirt simple.* Turn the key, press the pedals, turn the wheel.* A caveman could do it.* And the recent Barefoot Bandit from Whidbey Island showed that you don't need to take lessons to be able to fly a plane.* He learned how to do it with Microsoft Flight Simulator.* True, he crashed every plane he stole when he tried to land, but he walked away from them okay.* So looks like pilot's licenses are unnecessary, too.

So if you're gonna wave the Freedom flag around, put your money where your mouth is.* No licenses needed for anything.* Now THAT's* freedom, right?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #17
Master and Commander

Quote:
Marin wrote:... So if you're gonna wave the Freedom flag around, put your money where your mouth is.* No licenses needed for anything.* Now THAT's* freedom, right?
*Hey!* Ya gotta draw the line somewhere or they'll be requiring licenses for taking a bath.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Especially for you single screw guys

We have a licensing system for power boats here in Oz, and it works well. What's more, we have almost got uniformity around the states. Initially only here in Queensland did you need one, and that goes back years. However, now the other states are getting on board. I think this is because there have been some serious tragedies, and finally the same point Marin has rather colourfully made has been taken notice of and finally acted upon.

What's with this obsession with stern-in mooring anyway.* Why make an easy manoeuvre difficult when it need not be?

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 11th of August 2011 02:10:15 AM
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

If it weren't for the potential injury to other people and things, I'd say let natural selection run its course.
dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
We have a licensing system for power boats here in Oz, and it works well.

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 11th of August 2011 02:10:15 AM
*Connecticut has a licensing system and it's not*very effective IMO.

jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote