Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Especially for you single screw guys

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
If it weren't for the potential injury to other people and things, I'd say let natural selection run its course.
*I go along with that just fine.* Chuck Darwin knew exactly what he was talking about.* The problem is that more often than not the victims are not the idiot driving the boat but the family, guests, passengers, people in other boats, etc.* Just because the fool at the wheel had the money to buy the boat is not a reason why anyone else should get hurt or killed, or why my or your boat should be damaged.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Peter says* "What's with this obsession with stern-in mooring anyway."

I agree Peter but if youv'e got the drill down and it's easy and it gives some kind of advantage..............A lot of slips aren't square at the end so unless youv'e got a double ender???* Maybe some guys can't back up their boat trailer but can do the boat in that one spot so think it makes up for that??? I can back up anything and lots of people seem envious (even my wife) but many feel it's a feather in their cap or a sign of manhood so some could be backing into their slips for status. But if it's all the same I'm gunna go straight in. They even write books on how to simplify one's life.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #23

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

A different perspective; apart from PWCs, we don't have a licensing or registration regime here in New Zealand. (PWCs must be registered).

Yes, anybody can buy any sort of boat and go off and create mayhem, but*they don't. I believe we have the highest boat ownership per capita in the world, but we have very*few accidents.*

Like any western country, we have an increasing number of immigrants, especially from Asia, and*more of them are venturing out onto our waterways. They are not creating any issues, apart from some disregard for, or ignorance of,*our fishing regulations.

Several investigations have concluded that the cost and bureaucracy associated with licensing is unlikely to be worthwhile.

Coastguard, which is voluntary and not Govt funded,*is very active in promoting its education courses which include Boat Master, Day Skipper etc.* I would like to see insurance companies offer an incentive to do these courses, but there is none presently.

Charter companies usually insist on a Boat Master cert.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Marin wrote:dwhatty wrote:
If it weren't for the potential injury to other people and things, I'd say let natural selection run its course.
*I go along with that just fine.* Chuck Darwin knew exactly what he was talking about.* The problem is that more often than not the victims are not the idiot driving the boat but the family, guests, passengers, people in other boats, etc.* Just because the fool at the wheel had the money to buy the boat is not a reason why anyone else should get hurt or killed, or why my or your boat should be damaged.

*We're on the same page.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Peter B wrote:What's with this obsession with stern-in mooring anyway.* Why make an easy manoeuvre difficult when it need not be?

*I wonder if the fellow in the video was trying to back in or if that's just where he ended up?* He went on quite aways down the fairway before coming back.** I seem to recall hearing people on the docks saying, "Just put him in here" or words to that effect.

Depending on where your slip is and the direction of the*prevailing weather it can sometimes be beneficial to back the boat in.* Our boat does better with its back to the wind as the flying bridge cover--- the oldest and most expensive to replace piece of canvas on the boat--- does better being pushed down by the wind than flapping up and down in the wind passing over it from the front.* As it is, our slip puts the boat's back to the wind when it's bow in. But after they redo the dock if we end up with a slip on the other side we might start to back in so we can keep the same orientation to the wind.

But I*think it's generally*a lot easier to go in bow first.* Backing out of a slip is (usually) dead simple so I agree with Eric, why make life more complicated?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Well, I guess we could jump off the bow pulpit.* It is just more convenient to back in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moonstruck detailed and window covers 002.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	7049  
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

You need to file a lawsuit with your marina for giving you a slip with too short a dock and forcing you to undergo the trauma of having to back in every time you come home. If they'd given you a proper slip to begin with you could have been enjoying the recuced stress of bow-in docking all this time that may very well have added years to your life. As it is now, I would think the marina owes you big time. Play the victim role effectively and you could end up being able to get an even better boat. And the correct size dock to go with it, I bet.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Play the victim role effectively and you could end up being able to get an even better boat. And the correct size dock to go with it, I bet.
*There's a better boat?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:Marin wrote:
Play the victim role effectively and you could end up being able to get an even better boat. And the correct size dock to go with it, I bet.
*There's a better boat?

*Umm. I don't think that I'll go there.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

You know, I don't judge that guy who is wrecking in that video. My heart goes out to him. He no doubt has caused quite a bit of damage to his own vessel, probably some neighboring ones, and you know it was NOT a good day of boating for him. If I were on the dock with him I would hope I'd give him a cold drink and a pat on the back saying no worries. But I must say....it makes me cringe to watch that video!

seriously, that gave me cold chills to watch.*

We are all about "it is only fiberglass" but the worst thing we do is scrape a bit along the dock once in awhile, not try to take out a finger with our swim step!!
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
*There's a better boat?
*Uh.... yeah.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fleming 55.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	7054  
Old 08-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
*There's a better boat?
*Uh.... yeah.

*We were looking at Flemings before my wife died.* I'm glad I didn't buy one.* It would be alot to take care of.* This one suits quite well*for now.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

THe Fleming 55 is our favorite production boat.* Hopefuly someday we'll have one but we aren't holding our breath.* But I think the way it works is that if one can afford to buy a Fleming the upkeep (or fuel) will not be an issue.

There are several of them in our marina.* Each one of them is imaculate but I never see the owners working on them on weekends or whatever.* I suspect the "immaculate" is hired out.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:
THe Fleming 55 is our favorite production boat.* Hopefuly someday we'll have one but we aren't holding our breath.* But I think the way it works is that if one can afford to buy a Fleming the upkeep (or fuel) will not be an issue.

There are several of them in our marina.* Each one of them is imaculate but I never see the owners working on them on weekends or whatever.* I suspect the "immaculate" is hired out.
*Yachting:* Paying someone to fix your boat in exotic places
Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Marin wrote:

*I've spent a weekend in Seattle on a Fleming 55 that my husband had helped deliver from san fran to seattle.* It was a BEAUTIFUL boat.* I can assure you everything was hired out on THAT boat.* The boat is currently on the market, can't recall if it is 1.3 or 1.6 million.* I think the owner fell upon hard times in the down economy and has to divest himself of some of his toys.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:*We were looking at Flemings before my wife died.* I'm glad I didn't buy one.* It would be a lot to take care of.* This one suits quite well*for now.
******* I will admit to having Fleming on my "Top 5" list but having had a 54' Sport Fisher and having done the maintenance (mostly) by myself, I have noticed that my ego does not need constant reinforcement anymore. (Been there ...done that.) maybe it's an age thing or a better understanding how the boat will be used but "bigger is not always better" when it comes to boats. At 70 years old, I now believe that for a couple with occasional overnight guests, (Grand-kids, etc,) a 42 footer gets the job done quite nicely. (ie; GB Europa, Sabre, East Bay, etc.) With today's slip fees, insurance premiums, fuel prices, maintenance costs, diver's fee, property tax, etc, owning a relatively new boat over 50 feet is almost prohibitive.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote