Erie Canal conundrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My understanding is that they will let them continue after going through the flight at Waterford, but I'd definitely talk to the lockmasters for final word. The Canal web site indicates boats can continue, just not to expect open marinas. Only those actually there can give the authoritative word.

Notice to mariners said that for those of us wanting to go past E7, we could leave Waterford and go through 2 thru 7, but E8 and on westbound is closed.
There are few marinas between 7 and 8 to stay until they open the rest of the canal.
Let’s just wish for sunny dry weather. Judging by the amount of junk flowing down the river the past few days, they are really dumping water to try to get up and running.

Notice to mariners said that for those of us wanting to go past E7, we could leave Waterford and go through 2 thru 7, but E8 and on westbound is closed.
There are few marinas between 7 and 8 to stay until they open the rest of the canal.
Let’s just wish for sunny dry weather. Judging by the amount of junk flowing down the river the past few days, they are really dumping water to try to get up and running.

Does look like they may not let anyone lock further based on the notice. I know they do occasionally let boats lock through when closed but this doesn't look like one of those times. Too many boats waiting.

There is room at Shady Harbor Marina 10 miles south of Albany. They have a restaurant, fuel and pumpout. The best marina on the Hudson.
+1. Without question (in our humble opinion, of course).

New boat demands nearly infinite tinkering time. You won't be bored. Tinkering, poking, prodding, planning, trying it on for size. Don't miss a chance like this, go. Doesn't matter where.

I have done the Erie canel once and th St Lawrence a half dozen times. Although the Erie is interesting the St Lawrence is beautiful, interesting, pretty easy and is always a great trip. I have always gone out either straights of Canso or around Cape Breton, but the trip down to lake champlain could be fun as well.
Either way the best is to get underway and go. Sitting around is not productive or much fun.
Have a great trip.
M

I know you are all holding your breaths wondering how this worked out...

Mischief Managed made it through the canal safely and the trip was a wonderful experience! I am sure he will post something here once the dust settles. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to crew for them on the canal and having trouble wiping the smile off my face at home with my wife who was unable to join us due to work commitments.

I know you are all holding your breaths wondering how this worked out...

Mischief Managed made it through the canal safely and the trip was a wonderful experience! I am sure he will post something here once the dust settles. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to crew for them on the canal and having trouble wiping the smile off my face at home with my wife who was unable to join us due to work commitments.

Thanks for the update, and thanks so much for the help, you were indispensable.

It was a great trip indeed. Delays in the canal opening ended up working in our favor for two reasons:

1. We had an electrical issue that was easy to troubleshoot but took two days to fix due to parts unavailability locally.

2. We got to spend an unexpected extra day in Fairport, NY which was a wonderful place to spend an extra day.

I went to a lot of trouble to accurately measure our air draft and I am 100% confident that one can make this trip with 15' of air draft. I am also massively disappointed with the published bridge/guard gate clearance data for the west half of the canal. We concluded that there is no obvious protocol used to determine clearance and the best bet is to get your boat below 15' and proceed with caution under the bridges that appear tight.

We were impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of the entire canal and bridge staff along the route, including the Troy lock. They were great to deal with and routinely went out of their way to ensure we could transit as expeditiously as possible. They also called ahead for us to make sure we had dock space at towns we planned to stop in. Just a great group of people.

After the canal, the remaining 400 nautical miles of the trip were fairly uneventful, other than the 27 year old radar failing in the midst of a very foggy last day if the trip.

Here is my favorite shot of the boat in Fairport.

Attachments

• fairport.jpg
    fairport.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 42
Mischief Managed
Glad it worked out. Also glad to hear canal staff was helpful... the interaction with boaters is moving in the right direction.
By now I bet you are intimately familiar with the new boat.
That's a great shot of a fine looking boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom