epoxy splining a hardwood sharpie (extrawler).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pete

Could any one please give me the tip on epoxy splining a hardwood sharpie, the boat is dry and 70% completed including below the waterline*by the previous owner with the West system.* I dont want to glass sheath this boat, will there be problems when she reswells as the splines are gluded top and bottom. I am not sure what type of timber splines have been used but the hull is Australian hardwood and very dry. Should i router out the splines and recwalk??? any help muchly appreciated, thanks Pete

-- Edited by Pete on Saturday 3rd of September 2011 08:55:59 PM

I would post this on BoatDiesel.com

From what you say I'm wondering if you could glue the splines at one end only allowing the necessary movement. I'm only guessing at your structure and assuming you're talking about planking.

Hi Eric, This vessel is a planked hard chime sharpie, problem is 70% of the splining has been fully glued top and bottom between planks including below the water line, regards Pete

Pete,
We will talk specifically Australia here.
Normally we would only spline softwood planking, Hoop pine etc.
Hardwood such as Spotted Gum, ironbark etc usually have to much movement to epoxy spline the planks.
Have got your PM and will ring tomorrow when we are alongside

Thanks Benn, Mate thats what has been worrying me as i have had several planked hardwood hulls and they swell heaps. Thanks for the advise as i now will give this boat a miss and keep looking, many thanks for your help, Pete

Back
Top Bottom