Old 07-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONTOROSS View Post
Set the boat issue aside, take a look at what it is doing to trucks & cars. Repair shops are making great money rebuilding fuel systems for them. A year ago, we spent $7,000.00 to rebuild the Toyota we have. You would not believe what the fuel looked like when it was put in a barrel -- 30 gal of "gas" was not petroleum based product. Most of it was Ethanol. This was done at a Toyota dealership. Then there are the small engines I've rebuilt.
Again...there must be other issues....

5 years of it around here with almost no problems if the most basic of care is taken.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
OTOH, ethanol-free gasoline seems to have become ubiquitous, especially anywhere near boats and boaters. It's been years since I've had to worry about ethanol in the tank of my outboard, or any other small gasoline engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
The vast majority of fuel docks I've been to are all ethanol free. I wonder if that's in danger of changing?

No ethanol-free available around here.

What I can buy (E10) lasts only about 3 weeks in the outboard tank, runs fine in that motor (5-hp, 2-stroke, certified for E10) during it's "lifetime," but it starts separating after that. No stabilizer product that I've tried so far has done squat to extend that period.

If I had used that outboard every day or two, if I went through gas faster, I might not notice that. I suspect problems with separating fuel might be exacerbated in motors with only one -- relatively small -- cylinder, but that's just a theory. Lots o' larger gas engines around here, and they don't seem to have the same kind of issue.

-Chris

Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #23
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
No ethanol-free available around here.

What I can buy (E10) lasts only about 3 weeks in the outboard tank, runs fine in that motor (5-hp, 2-stroke, certified for E10) during it's "lifetime," but it starts separating after that. No stabilizer product that I've tried so far has done squat to extend that period.

-Chris
From time to time I use ethanol in both 2 cycle engines on our 15' Smokercraft when ethanol free gas isn't available, with no ill effects. But I take some additional precautions, which were recommended by the outboard shop that serviced both engines.

I had the carbs on both outboards rebuilt with ethanol tolerant seals (After the 15 HP kickers carb plugged up that is!!)

* Disconnect the fuel lines on both engines and run the outboard until the residual fuel is burned out after each use.

* I never leave the fuel in the tanks for more than a month.

* Removable tanks should be stored out of direct sunlight so the fuel isn't constantly heated and then cooled.

* If you're not going to use the engine for a while, dump the remaining fuel into a car or lawn mower and use it up.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
* Disconnect the fuel lines on both engines and run the outboard until the residual fuel is burned out after each use.

* I never leave the fuel in the tanks for more than a month.

* Removable tanks should be stored out of direct sunlight so the fuel isn't constantly heated and then cooled.

* If you're not going to use the engine for a while, dump the remaining fuel into a car or lawn mower and use it up.

Yep, all that. The V8 in the Suburban doesn't seem bothered by it.

-Chris
Old 07-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #25
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Capecodder-WTF did he really say? Was that a yes, no or maybe? The reply did not even mention marine issues.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote