Old 08-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Environment Canada Weather Stations

As I write this post, the following Environment Canada Weather stations are down, unserviceable, whatever you want to call it:

Saturna Island, down for at least 3 months,
Sandheads, down for at least a month,
Fanny Island, currently down, not sure for how long,
Sentry Shoal, down for at least 2 months,
East Dellwood, down at least 2 months.

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/weather...&stationID=WVF

This is UNACCEPTABLE!

Iíve been on ECís case, but perhaps weíll get some action on this if others chime in with your displeasure. You can contact them here:

https://weather.gc.ca/mainmenu/contact_us_e.html

They eventually respond.

Jim

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Will do.

Last time I got an ambiguous reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
As I write this post, the following Environment Canada Weather stations are down, unserviceable, whatever you want to call it:

Saturna Island, down for at least 3 months,
Sandheads, down for at least a month,
Fanny Island, currently down, not sure for how long,
Sentry Shoal, down for at least 2 months,
East Dellwood, down at least 2 months.

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/weather...&stationID=WVF

This is UNACCEPTABLE!

Iíve been on ECís case, but perhaps weíll get some action on this if others chime in with your displeasure. You can contact them here:

https://weather.gc.ca/mainmenu/contact_us_e.html

They eventually respond.

Jim
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190815-093916.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	92301

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Since the advent of sites like Windy, EC has become almost irrelevant. Today, EC has a Strong Wind Warning for South of Nanaimo. Windy says 10 knots at the strongest in Georgia Strait and also gives local forecasting and current conditions that are much closer to the reality.
At my home, Windy says 4 knots. and it actually looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home moorage.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	92303  
Old 08-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Since the advent of sites like Windy, EC has become almost irrelevant. Today, EC has a Strong Wind Warning for South of Nanaimo. Windy says 10 knots at the strongest in Georgia Strait and also gives local forecasting and current conditions that are much closer to the reality.
At my home, Windy says 4 knots. and it actually looks like this:

Yes, but the weather stations provide near real time information, without which ďWindyĒ and other forecasters would be dead in the water. Windy does not have weather stations, to my knowledge.

Jim
Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Windy is merely a predictive device based on models.

Windy does not use GEM25, which is the model EC uses.

EC has data. Windy does not.

I like to know when I'm heading out what is going on at Bellenas, Grief Point, Sisters, and Sentry Shoal. In the winter I pay attention to Solander.

If you like models, and picking and choosing your own predictions, I recommend MeteoBlue.

You can see 9 different models and the variations between them visually in the multimodel display for Powell River.

I like Windy. It is an excellent visual representation of predicted weather. But it is still only a model.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post

I like to know when I'm heading out what is going on at Bellenas, Grief Point, Sisters, and Sentry Shoal. In the winter I pay attention to Solander.

If you like models, and picking and choosing your own predictions, I recommend MeteoBlue.

You can see 9 different models and the variations between them visually in the multimodel display for Powell River.

I like Windy. It is an excellent visual representation of predicted weather. But it is still only a model.

All good modellers do ďhindcastingĒ which compares observed values versus predicted estimates. This is critical for tweaking model parameters and improving model estimation. The observed values come from weather stations. Data gaps are a pita.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
If I recall, budget year ends beginning or end of March of every year for the government. I'm betting the repair budget has been eaten up by other issues for 2019 and the repairs for those items will appear in the 2020 budget.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Guru

You know, the Saturna station is accessed by ferry and car. How much does that cost?
Old 08-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I've contacted them before on this and just got an auto reply / form letter response. Fanny island has been down for months and is the only indicator of what's happening mid Johnstone Strait.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post

Windy

Windy includes multi models and lets you choose / comare as well as showing actual reported conditions (for many locations).
I used it extensively during a recent 60+ day cruise and really became a fan of Windy. The ability to pick and choose info you are interested in is a real plu in my book. We modified our Lk Ontario crossing plans both ways to catch Windy Wx "Windows" that proved to be our smoothest 2 crossing of Lk Ont ever... now a big fan.
Not familiar w/ meteoBlue?
I teach a 12 week USPS / ABC Wxx course and Richard (TF Wxxx) aboard Dauntless originally introduced me to Windy and Ive come to really like it.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Windy includes multi models and lets you choose / comare as well as showing actual reported conditions (for many locations).

Windy is great. Easy to use even for a weather idiot such as myself. However, while it can show reported locations, that only works if those stations are actually reporting. Which gets back to the out of service bouys in BC.

When I have been up in BC, I really count on the current reporting in Georgia Strait. Being able to compare the current and historical data from Sentry Shoal and Halibut Bank. With Sentry Shoal down, it really hurts the ability to know what is actually happening in the strait and what conditions one might expect when crossing.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Quite a few US buoys and off shore light houses are also down for an indefinite time. Off the Maine coast Matinicus rock and Mount Desert Rock went down in early April. Matinicus came back up this afternoon, but Mount Desert Rock is still down (scheduled for sometime this month).
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
It can be blowing 60 knots and Nanakwa Shoal buoy in Douglas Channel will say the wave height is 0.3 metres??!!?? Been that way for years. It's supposed to be hauled in for repairs this month...we'll see...
Old 08-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks
If you go to Kelp reefs and take the items in the left column, then Saturna take the items in the right column, you have a complete report for the area.

As long as Halibut bank keeps working along with Tsawassen, Sandheads is not entirely missed. On a calm sunny day, flat water, Sandheads can have nasty water at the entrance from tide and currents.

AND Trudeau got slapped on the wrist today, happy days.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
If you go to Kelp reefs and take the items in the left column, then Saturna take the items in the right column, you have a complete report for the area.

As long as Halibut bank keeps working along with Tsawassen, Sandheads is not entirely missed. On a calm sunny day, flat water, Sandheads can have nasty water at the entrance from tide and currents.

AND Trudeau got slapped on the wrist today, happy days.

Sandheads is entirely missed! Itís critical for anyone going in or out of the river. We tie up in Steveston.

Andrew Sheer? I saw what Harper did to fisheries and...no chance Iím going thataway again.

J.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Sandheads is entirely missed! It’s critical for anyone going in or out of the river. We tie up in Steveston.

Andrew Sheer? I saw what Harper did to fisheries and...no chance I’m going thataway again.

J.
Sandheads is important, but really? you cannot adjust with Tsawassen Ferry terminal and Halibut banks and interpolate what could be happening in between where Sandheads is located.

ETA: what did Harper do to the fish stock?
Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #17
Guru

The conditions at Tsawwassen are very different than Sandheads. The weather station at Sandheads predates Tsawwassen.

This biologist says H. gutted the fisheries act, didnít act on any of the Cohen recommendations, destroyed the DFOís habitat protection division...
Old 08-15-2019, 10:41 PM   #18
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Theyr Weather

Does anyone use Theyr Weather? It's global and forecasts wind, wind waves, surface temps, pressure, precip, etc. at the location your boat is at or by moving the cursor on your MFD, it will report weather conditions for that region as well. Anywhere on the planet. Cost is $100/year.

https://www.theyr.com/
Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

JDcave
In 1980 Mt St Helens blew. I was fishing at Cabbage that day and heard what sounded like a shotgun blast. That was the last year of good fishing there. The following year Salmon returning to the Fraser came via inside passage and not Juan de puca. Fishing ended at the southern strait of georgia.
Thereafter on a one time event I crewed on a sailboat out to 300 miles offshore from Oregon where there is a mountain that tops out at 90 feet below surface. We arrived near midnight and thought we were sailing into Vancouver. There were tanker fishing vessels there cleaning up on the Salmon that thereafter could not return to BC waters.

So tell me what H did beside save $280 mil funding a bureaucracy that never reported an accurate fish count on the Fraser.

As for the Sandheads weather station, do call T and get it fixed as he has unlimited funds at his disposal.
Seriously, you cannot interpolate the weather at Sandheads from the two locations mentioned.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #20
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
JDcave
In 2008 Mt St Helens blew. I was fishing at Cabbage that day and heard what sounded like a shotgun blast. That was the last year of good fishing there. The following year Salmon returning to the Fraser came via inside passage and not Juan de puca. Fishing ended at the southern strait of georgia.
Thereafter on a one time event I crewed on a sailboat out to 300 miles offshore from Oregon where there is a mountain that tops out at 90 feet below surface. We arrived near midnight and thought we were sailing into Vancouver. There were tanker fishing vessels there cleaning up on the Salmon that thereafter could not return to BC waters.

So tell me what H did beside save $280 mil funding a bureaucracy that never reported an accurate fish count on the Fraser.

As for the Sandheads weather station, do call T and get it fixed as he has unlimited funds at his disposal.
Seriously, you cannot interpolate the weather at Sandheads from the two locations mentioned.
No idea which Pol is responsible for what. All are ineffective.
Here on Saltspring, the commercial crab fishermen are out of control and there are now no more crabs. There are no fisheries enforcers, so the tourists who take all the crabs they can find, without regard to size or sex, those who take oysters from below closure signs, without licenses, without regard to limits, are not policed, so soon there will be none, those who take this year's spring salmon in the face of a total closure, etc, are not policed.
rant out.

St Helens was 1980