Enough to ruin the whole day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rolling over is what worries me more than going a ground. Boats with round/soft chimes tend to roll and sustain more damage than the actual grounding. That is why I am planning on having twin bilge keels added to the Eagle to help prevent rolling on its side and also help improve the roll/ride a bit.

The bilge keels will be about 10 ft long, 2 feet tall, and 6+ inches wide. under the engine rooms between the engine room forward bulk head and the back bulk head, so they will be between the lift straps.

Attachments

• Eagle on the hard -.jpg
    Eagle on the hard -.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 182
PF, I would be interested to see some clear pics of what you are doing. Is there a NA involved? I think what you are doing would be a good thing and would consider doing the same. It seems to me that it would really help with roll and since we always travel about 1 knot below hull speed I don't think it would hurt us performance or economy wise.

Sad ...

disaster2008.riverdance37.jpg

Rolling over is what worries me more than going a ground. Boats with round/soft chimes tend to roll and sustain more damage than the actual grounding. ...

Quick thinking, ingenuity, and pure luck can safe the day ... sometime!

lgGroundedBoat.jpg

If we ever go aground I hope the stabilizers will support from rolling over like in the pic below.

Attachments

• image-1962563612.jpg
    image-1962563612.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 137
PF, I would be interested to see some clear pics of what you are doing. Is there a NA involved? I think what you are doing would be a good thing and would consider doing the same. It seems to me that it would really help with roll and since we always travel about 1 knot below hull speed I don't think it would hurt us performance or economy wise.

I ma pulling in June and using a local fiber glass company who have taken out all the below water thru hulls except for the engines and the forward thrust of the bow thruster that I never used. Many of the commercial boats have some sort of rolling chalks, bilge keels or a combination of. So at least they know what I am talking about as they speak trawler!:D

Not too worried about speed we might loose, and the Eagle track straight with the full deep keel. The keels are going to be parallel with the main keel. They don’t have to be that strong as they are just keeping the boat from rolling over as most of the weight will still be on the main keel. Basically they are fixed stabilizers like shown in the Nord picture. I talk to several active stabilizer companies and they said for the 20+ grand they would not have much of an effect with the slow speeds and they all have recommended chalks, keels, paravanes. Prefer passive stabilization as they are working all the time rather than active that work only when activated.

If that does not work might added some additional ballast? A sister 58 up in Canada which has been in some very rough blue water between the Charlotte and main land. He added more ballast and fiberglass the active stabilizer in a fix position which he says works just as good, making them bilge keels. :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom