Engineroom Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see what the problem is with a cable, my ignition, gauges, throttle, gearbox all have cables and this one easily runs beside them.
Took less than 5 minutes to run it.

Yep, got those, too. But they're already in place, so no work required. :)

I know the cable run, and it's not rocket science... just a lot of work in our case, and a two-person job. I am only one person. <sigh>

-Chris

If you have the ability and time I would highly recommend hardwired POE cameras, I have 2 4mp hikvision cameras in my engine room then one facing forward under the pilot house overhang and one looking backward then two on the mizzen mast looking down to get the full 360 of the boat. They all go to a hikvision NVR in the pilothouse.
Couple big advantages
1. They won’t cause your WiFi network to be overloaded
2. There is less than a 1 second delay from something actually happening to getting it on the screens (WiFi cameras can become significantly delayed)
3. At 4mp you can actually see details of what’s going on, I can easily see how the belts are running for instance.

Oh and as a benefit the NVR records all cameras 24 hours a day do there is always a record if something happens.

Just my 2 cents.

AC

BTW if connected to the internet, make sure those Hikvision cameras have the latest firmware. There's a known exploit that is being widely attacked. Many suspect it's not a bug at all but a backdoor placed by the manufacturer (since it's principle owner is the Chinese government).
Mine were hacked.

If you have the ability and time I would highly recommend hardwired POE cameras, I have 2 4mp hikvision cameras in my engine room then one facing forward under the pilot house overhang and one looking backward then two on the mizzen mast looking down to get the full 360 of the boat. They all go to a hikvision NVR in the pilothouse.
Couple big advantages
1. They won’t cause your WiFi network to be overloaded
2. There is less than a 1 second delay from something actually happening to getting it on the screens (WiFi cameras can become significantly delayed)
3. At 4mp you can actually see details of what’s going on, I can easily see how the belts are running for instance.

Oh and as a benefit the NVR records all cameras 24 hours a day do there is always a record if something happens.

Just my 2 cents.

AC

Thank you. Some good points there.

CaptTom,
What is the description of your picture above so I can look up on Amazon? Seems there are several ways to skin the cat.
Thanks,
Rob

It's the link just above the photo.

BDofMSP, yes, good point, yeah all mine are on the latest.

Has anyone set up an engineroom camera (or deck) to an on board iPad?
I drive from the flybridge on my boat and have 2 cameras that talk to the Raymarine Es127 & Es128 plotters. When I go below for a cup of coffee , etc: I have an "old" iPad that was in a drawer for 2 years, hooked up in the salon. (No down helm station on my boat.) Before I leave the bridge, I go to "camera" on the plotter and bluetooth sends the pic to the salon iPad. Even in pitch dark", the picture is quite clear. I can see both fan belts and drip pans and with the ER lights turned on I can see in color, a lot more! if I see something that looks "fishy", I'm literally 3 feet from the ER hatch, which I open and have a look. Like the guy who fell off the Empire State Building, when he went by an open window on the 44th floor, people heard him say"so far...so good!:blush:

This photo of the ER is with no lights on in the ER.(Pitch dark)

Attachments

• IMG_3535.jpg
    IMG_3535.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 112
I do the same to mate Maretron DSM410 when I’m not at the boat.

I love cameras!

Here is a live shot of my engine room, and another of my salon.

Of course I’m not there right now, I’m stuck at work...But my boat is safe and sound.

BTW...

My battery charger is working (battery voltage is between 12.25 and 13.75 volts)
Shore power is working
No fires or smoke are detected
Bilge water is not too high
The temp in the deep freeze is -3F

All is good. :blush:

Attachments

• 56C5D3DF-B1E9-4EEE-99FB-D131B0E8726A.jpeg
    56C5D3DF-B1E9-4EEE-99FB-D131B0E8726A.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 43446D3C-9BAD-48F7-A970-56B1C5E4E805.jpg
    43446D3C-9BAD-48F7-A970-56B1C5E4E805.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I love cameras!

Of course I’m not there right now, I’m stuck at work...But my boat is safe and sound.

BTW...

My battery charger is working (battery voltage is between 12.25 and 13.75 volts)
Shore power is working

Ha! That's pretty cool. You've got it dialed in, that's for sure.

I bought a Swann two-camera wireless set up a couple of years ago. One on the radar arch looking back for when we are in the PH and one in the ER. It has a one TB HD for recording and has four channels for up to four cameras. You can select to full-screen one camera or split screen the four. Video is 1080p and really crisp on both helm station GreenWise monitors.

Eventually I want to replace them with a system hard wired into my DC system rather than having to plug them into a local AC adapter. The ER is no issue as the outlet is two feet from the camera, but the one on the arch has a wire run under the bimini from the helm, about 20 feet.

You can use the Swann App to monitor the cameras remotely if you put them on a wi-fi network.

Attachments

• aa4.jpg
    aa4.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I love cameras!

BTW...

Shore power is working

And the beer is at a crisp 34° forgot that temp sensor......

[QUOTE=Codger2;69655Before I leave the bridge, I go to "camera" on the plotter and bluetooth sends the pic to the salon iPad. Even in pitch dark", the picture is quite clear.

Attachments

• ER LIGHTS ON : OFF.jpg
    ER LIGHTS ON : OFF.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 72
ksanders...you state that you are able to tell what your battery voltage and freezer temp is, how do you do that? I have D-link cameras and when I try to read LCD or meters with class over them I get reflections and can't read them..thanks

ksanders what is the make/model of your setup?

The cameras are Dlink

Less than a hundred bucks each. Viewable locally using a web browser, or remotely using the dlink APP

ksanders...you state that you are able to tell what your battery voltage and freezer temp is, how do you do that? I have D-link cameras and when I try to read LCD or meters with class over them I get reflections and can't read them..thanks

I’m not using the cameras for those functions. I have a boat alarm system for that. My apologies for any confusion.

Hmmm. That kind of throws a wrench into my own ER monitoring plan. I was imagining that I would have one of rhe cameras focused on some localized gauges, like fuel filter vacuum, alternator temperature, etc. for monitoring at the helm.

Codger, what cameras did you use to connect to your raymarine system?

I was imagining that I would have one of rhe cameras focused on some localized gauges, like fuel filter vacuum, alternator temperature, etc. for monitoring at the helm.
Larry, I can think of no reason why that won't work! :popcorn:

A $450 camera probably wood work for monitoring gauges and LCD, but my cheap $90 D-link camera does not do a very good job.

Bilge pump alarm.
Low coolant alarm.
High water alarm.
Fire detection and automatic extinguisher system.
Fuel filter gauge on the dash.
Smoke alarms.
CO2 alarms.
Camera to see an empty engine room? Useless.

What would be useful is a dash-cam pointed backwards, that records so I can see the back deck to check on deck hands and monitor the moron who is about to wake me.

I don't use the cameras while cruising or when I'm on the boat, but I do do a visible inspection ever couple of hours. I use mine for the off season when I'm over a 1000 miles away at home. I like to be able to read an inside of the boat temperature, battery voltage, distribution panel and just a look over of the cabin and sun deck. The cabin temperature and battery voltages are what I have problems reading with my camera.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom