Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member
 
CapRob's Avatar
 
City: Charleston
Country: USA
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Model: Back Cove 37
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
I have two cameras in the engine room connected to my Garman 8212 chart plotters. They are connected via BNC connector.


Thank you. That’s great. I don’t really care if I use the Garmin display or iPad as long as it works. The BNC is probably more reliable than a wireless anyway. I just had not thought to use that display for that purpose.

Are your cameras the same “back up” cameras as mentioned earlier?
__________________
Advertisement

CapRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member
 
CapRob's Avatar
 
City: Charleston
Country: USA
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Model: Back Cove 37
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
CapRob

BNC connector
The BNC (Bayonet Neill–Concelman) connector is a miniature quick connect/disconnect radio frequency connector used for coaxial cable. It features two bayonet lugs on the female connector; mating is fully achieved with a quarter turn of the coupling nut.


Thank you.
__________________

CapRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member
 
CapRob's Avatar
 
City: Charleston
Country: USA
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Model: Back Cove 37
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Absolutely. $14 on Amazon:





Also look at Infrared backup cameras. I tried one but it kept putting the "parking space" lines on the image. Haven't gone back to see if that was the camera or the display doing that.


CaptTom,
What is the description of your picture above so I can look up on Amazon? Seems there are several ways to skin the cat.
Thanks,
Rob
CapRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #24
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,636
Our cameras are all wireless, connected to the WIFI network on the boat and accessible from anywhere then by internet.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member
 
CapRob's Avatar
 
City: Charleston
Country: USA
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Model: Back Cove 37
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Our cameras are all wireless, connected to the WIFI network on the boat and accessible from anywhere then by internet.


Thanks BandB. Who makes the cameras? Do you need Internet or just WiFi? The boat has WiFi underway but I am usually not connected to the internet underway. Do you know if devices are on same WiFi network will it work or do you need internet access to do this?
CapRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #26
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapRob View Post
Thanks BandB. Who makes the cameras? Do you need Internet or just WiFi? The boat has WiFi underway but I am usually not connected to the internet underway. Do you know if devices are on same WiFi network will it work or do you need internet access to do this?
Just need WIFI to access from the boat. Internet access to access from other locations. The makes of the cameras isn't really important and we have different makes on different boats. We have Garmin, Flir, Iris, Gost, Crestron and Logitech in one place or another, on land or sea, and I have no idea who is actually the manufacturer of any of them. For thermal, I still prefer Flir, but it may just be that's what I've used longest. However, for a simple camera, any "webcam" will work fine and will work with or without the web.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar


 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,054
This is a live shot of my engine room.

I’m not on the boat right now, I’m sitting in my office a hundred miles away
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60994C77-39B0-43D4-A234-CA5FA4E54331.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	70389  
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #28
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
This is a live shot of my engine room.

I’m not on the boat right now, I’m sitting in my office a hundred miles away
Wifey B: It looks lonely. Feeling sad and neglected. Wanting to know why you aren't there using it. Poor engines.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #29
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
So you have a camera, and you have a display unit... and a long cable. I think OP's question is about whether he can connect a camera to the display unit he already has (iPad) without a cable.

I wouldn't mind a wireless set-up either. An engine room camera would be useful, but not worth the pain of running a wire from our ER to our bridge.

-Chris
I was replying to spottsvilles query.

I don't see what the problem is with a cable, my ignition, gauges, throttle, gearbox all have cables and this one easily runs beside them.
Took less than 5 minutes to run it.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
wwestman's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 180
Well let me throw in a different question. I have a ray marine setup which can display cameras via N2000 or the ray marine network. I don't want to spend the $ for the RM label on the outside of the camera. What can I get that will plug and play into the network I already have without too much $ or time?
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #31
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I don't see what the problem is with a cable, my ignition, gauges, throttle, gearbox all have cables and this one easily runs beside them.
Took less than 5 minutes to run it.

Yep, got those, too. But they're already in place, so no work required.

I know the cable run, and it's not rocket science... just a lot of work in our case, and a two-person job. I am only one person. <sigh>

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Arthurc's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 369
If you have the ability and time I would highly recommend hardwired POE cameras, I have 2 4mp hikvision cameras in my engine room then one facing forward under the pilot house overhang and one looking backward then two on the mizzen mast looking down to get the full 360 of the boat. They all go to a hikvision NVR in the pilothouse.
Couple big advantages
1. They won’t cause your WiFi network to be overloaded
2. There is less than a 1 second delay from something actually happening to getting it on the screens (WiFi cameras can become significantly delayed)
3. At 4mp you can actually see details of what’s going on, I can easily see how the belts are running for instance.

Oh and as a benefit the NVR records all cameras 24 hours a day do there is always a record if something happens.

Just my 2 cents.

AC
__________________
Kadey-Krogen 54
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
City: Bayfield, WI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 261
BTW if connected to the internet, make sure those Hikvision cameras have the latest firmware. There's a known exploit that is being widely attacked. Many suspect it's not a bug at all but a backdoor placed by the manufacturer (since it's principle owner is the Chinese government).
Mine were hacked.
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #34
Veteran Member
 
CapRob's Avatar
 
City: Charleston
Country: USA
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Model: Back Cove 37
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurc View Post
If you have the ability and time I would highly recommend hardwired POE cameras, I have 2 4mp hikvision cameras in my engine room then one facing forward under the pilot house overhang and one looking backward then two on the mizzen mast looking down to get the full 360 of the boat. They all go to a hikvision NVR in the pilothouse.
Couple big advantages
1. They won’t cause your WiFi network to be overloaded
2. There is less than a 1 second delay from something actually happening to getting it on the screens (WiFi cameras can become significantly delayed)
3. At 4mp you can actually see details of what’s going on, I can easily see how the belts are running for instance.

Oh and as a benefit the NVR records all cameras 24 hours a day do there is always a record if something happens.

Just my 2 cents.

AC


Thank you. Some good points there.
CapRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #35
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapRob View Post
CaptTom,
What is the description of your picture above so I can look up on Amazon? Seems there are several ways to skin the cat.
Thanks,
Rob
It's the link just above the photo.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Arthurc's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 369
BDofMSP, yes, good point, yeah all mine are on the latest.
__________________

__________________
Kadey-Krogen 54
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012