Engine Survey/Sea Trial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hgamsby

Looking for a Diesel Mechanic to do an engine survey at sea trial on a Nordic Tug37 with a Cummins engine. I'm located on the Southcoast of Massachusetts

Recently sold my RV with Cummins, the buyer called the local authorized dealer came, hooked up his laptop and went thru the engine, it cost the buyer $350 with travel time etc.

The mechanic updated all the software and a regen, a regular diesel inspector may not have access to that software.

Well worth the $$$

Try calling the guys at FL Tripp in Westport, they'll know who you should use. 508-636-4058

Can't help with mechanic recommendations, but, good advice so far if your engine has electronic controls. At any rate, make sure that the aftercooler is properly checked out, has been serviced off the engine in the last 3 years. If not, factor in the cost of a new one in your final agreed price. They are fairly pricey and if not properly serviced, often need replacing. Also, if your tug has a mechanically injected engine, check out the exhaust elbow. On older NT's, (mine is a 2002), the original elbow is "doomed to fail" and if left too long, can allow saltwater into the turbo and maybe even into the engine (big potential problem if that happens).

For good info on Cummins engines check out sbmar.com, both the forums and "Tony's Tips".

Good luck on your tug purchase, I am happy with mine,
Tom

Recently sold my RV with Cummins, the buyer called the local authorized dealer came, hooked up his laptop and went thru the engine, it cost the buyer $350 with travel time etc.

The mechanic updated all the software and a regen, a regular diesel inspector may not have access to that software.

Well worth the $$$

Agreed. I find the closest marine mechanic certified in that engine make. A Certified Cummins shop will have the appropriate software and connectors to analyze properly.

Back
Top Bottom