Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #1

City: Benicia CA
Engine Room Storage

I have a little extra space in my engine room, and was wondering what items you store (or would consider storing) in your engine room (secured properly of course)?

And what items would you never store there because of the environment (smells, heat etc.)?

Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Engine Room Storage

We keep lube oils, grease, filters, deionized water and clean rags in the engine room. Also its a good idea to have wedges/plugs/mallet for lost through-hull fittings.

Edit: How's the Offshore coming along?

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Sunday 18th of March 2012 05:21:52 PM

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Sunday 18th of March 2012 05:22:42 PM

Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #3

City: Benicia CA
RE: Engine Room Storage

Engine survey good. Hull survey in a couple of days. The boat's in great shape so we don't see anything that can stop the process, but, I guess you never know. We should have it by, hopefully, next weekend.

Anybody ever store cases of coke (never beer, I already know that), bottled water, etc. *in the engine room?
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan

Quote:
Giggitoni wrote:
We keep lube oils, grease, filters, deionized water and clean rags in the engine room. Also its a good idea to have wedges/plugs/mallet for lost through-hull fittings. Edit: How's the Offshore coming along?
*You must have been peeking in our engine room, we carry all the above plus spare hose, clamps, oil pads, shop vac and spares for all systems on the boat. You can never be to prepared for the areas we travel.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

In addition to a good complement of tools and parts stored in cabinets under V-Berth.* Following is kept close at hand in engine area...
-***** General fluids and filler-apparatus for any top-off desired
-***** All types filter replacements*
-***** Battery areas for*house, starter and gen-set as well as a*brand new separated*spare battery that is always kept at peak charge by 2 amp charger working when gen-set runs or dock power attached and 12V breaker is on (in the*black box)
-***** Roll of commercial grade paper towels
-***** Knee pads
-***** Spot light that straps onto forehead and hand crank spotlight that holds 10 minute charge for 60 second wind-up
-***** 2 long extender pincers, magnet and 2 mirror for item retrieval from tight locations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	to - both engines and genset - looking forward 100_0615.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	10607   Click image for larger version

Name:	to - both engines and grey-flex battery cover looking astern 100_0612.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	10608  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Nsail wrote:
Engine survey good. Hull survey in a couple of days. The boat's in great shape so we don't see anything that can stop the process, but, I guess you never know. We should have it by, hopefully, next weekend.

Anybody ever store cases of coke (never beer, I already know that), bottled water, etc. *in the engine room?
*I never put food stuffs in the engine area. We have plenty of other storage for it, and then nothing ever can pick up any engine room smells. Just a personal quirk maybe, but that's my rule. I do carry lots of spares, extras, replacements and tools there though.
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: -
Engine Room Storage

Quote:
Nsail wrote:
..... was wondering what items you store (or would consider storing) in your engine room (secured properly of course)?

And what items would you never store there because of the environment (smells, heat etc.)?

The only items in our engine room in addition to the stuff in almost every boat's engine room---- engines, generator, batteries, inverter/charger, fuel tanks, various water pumps, forward holding tank and fire extinguishing system---* are spare alternator/coolant pump belts pre-threaded onto the FL120s.

The rest of the boat's spares, including lubricants and coolant as well as our hand and power tools are carried in a very large bow compartment, in one of the compartments under the main cabin L-settee, and in compartments under the V-berths in the forward cabin.

FL120s don't put out a lot of heat.* The underway temperature in our engine room in the summer is usually only about 100 degrees f. measured up near the compartment overhead.* But we would not carry things like canned food or drinks down there anyway.* The engine room is crowded enough as it is and we have plenty of storage throughout the cabins for that sort of thing, even for longer cruises.

While there no "diesel smell" in the engine room there is that "hot engine, hot oil" smell and I think it would permeate anything that absorbs odors, like fabric.* So we would not consider storing anything like that in the engine room.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 18th of March 2012 09:08:01 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
FF
Guru

Carry enough lube oil for at least 3 changes if you gave a FW ,heat exchanger wet exhaust cooled engine.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
Guru

No extra room in the ER. You give that up to go fast.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Engine Room Storage

Oil for 2 changes, transmission oil, coolant, distilled water, about 1/2 of my tool complement, SS screws/bolts, 2 gals West 105, slow, fast and coating hardners & FBG cloth.** Spares are elsewhere - several elsewheres.

-- Edited by bobofthenorth on Monday 19th of March 2012 06:58:06 AM
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Various cork and wood plugs, distilled water, spare drive belt, torque bar and adjustment wrench, rescue tape, ....may add a nerf football now that the idea has been legitimized by y'all.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Spare fluids and spare parts and filters. And, a folding director's chair for when I have to operate from the lower helm. Newest addition - a folding grocery cart for hauling supplies.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Spare hoses, clamps, belts, filters, engine fluids and battery water pitcher

Oil diapers and paper towels

Wooden plugs and hammer

Fenders and lines

(Other tools, sealants, tapes and electrical spares/supplies are kept elsewhere onboard, out of the ER)

No food stuffs for the reasons already stated.

During extended stays, our double-bagged trash gets stored temporarily in the lazarette until disposal.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Engine Room Storage

Have a galvanized bucket to catch drainage from fuel and and engine-oil filters as well as an initial place to put*removed filters.* Tools are contained in*the storage compartment*underneath the*"copilot's" seat in the pilothouse, along with medical kit and emergency signals.* I'm attempting to minimize engine-room clutter.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 23rd of March 2012 11:20:08 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

I'm surprised no one has thought about the potential for fire. As a professional mariner who has experienced a fire aboard, it's never far from my mind.* The best way to prevent an engine room fire is to remove the fuel.* In my mind, that means removing flammable's like paint, solvents, oil, paper products, or anything else that can easily burn.* We have a dock type locker on the top deck in which I store all of the above. As liveaboards with no storage ashore we have little choice about keeping some of the stuff around, but given a choice I'd keep a lot of the maintenance chemicals somewhere off the boat.* I also realize many boats have little additional storage room besides the engine room, but try to remember that next to the galley, the engine room is the place most likely to experience a fire.* If you have ever experienced one while aboard, your thinking about the storage of flammable items will never be the same.* Safe travels.........Arctic Traveller

Trawler training at www.arctictraveller.com
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
Spare hoses, clamps, belts, filters, engine fluids and battery water pitcher

Oil diapers and paper towels

Wooden plugs and hammer

Fenders and lines

(Other tools, sealants, tapes and electrical spares/supplies are kept elsewhere onboard, out of the ER)

No food stuffs for the reasons already stated.

During extended stays, our double-bagged trash gets stored temporarily in the lazarette until disposal.
*Oh...I forgot the two spare anchors (bow and stern) and rode and the folding table.*

I carry only enough oil and coolant for top offs.* All large quantity storage is in my dock cabinet.

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote