engine room headroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jb cruzan

Veteran Member
I am beginning to compile a list of features that would be nice to have in a trawler. One is a engine room door or bulkhead with walk in access as opposed to lifting stairs or hatches to get in and (wait for it) 6' headroom within? I realize that this is at odds with another search parameter I like, and that is to buy the smallest boat that has everything we need aboard and 2 can comfortably handle - which for us could be in the 44' to 58' range - but I fear this kind of engine room I describe may only appear on trawlers a lot bigger than this. Are there any +/- 50' trawlers known for having awesome engine room access and headroom?

I'm thinking this one might work, but it is about 40' too big :) Gorgeous looking boat though...

Attachments

• explorer-motor-yacht-20112-8641186.jpg
    explorer-motor-yacht-20112-8641186.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 118
The Defever Sundecks have phenominal engine rooms for a 44 foot boat. They are not 6 feet but they are somewhere around 5.5 with excellent access to all service points. They also employ a sea chest which makes things easier as well.

Mine is 6'4" when you step through the door onto the forward plate. then 7'2"
along both sides of the engine.

Ted

Attachments

• 100_2250.jpg
    100_2250.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_2251.jpg
    100_2251.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 89
  • unnamed[3] (3).jpg
    unnamed[3] (3).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 94
  • unnamed[2] (4).jpg
    unnamed[2] (4).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 111
Our KK 58 has a full size watertight door from the stateroom level to the engine room. ER is mostly around 6' or so, becoming a bit shorter towards the stern. I have no problem moving around and getting access to everything. Of course, I am only 5'8". The boat is very easy for a couple to handle.

Greetings,
Many moons ago I was on what I "think" was a Diesel Duck 42' and although tiny in area, did have a stand up ER.

Baker's right. Diesel Ducks aside, in a sub 50-footer, a Defever 44 to 48 may be hard to beat. Ours has 5'7" headroom at the forward portion; only slightly less moving aft. Feels cavernous in there and the entrance door, while not full height, is infinitely easier than using a hatch. I know a guy with a 48 who lowered the floor pans in the bilge and has about 6' of headroom. (Must look into that further.)

As for access for maintenance, it's generally fantastic. The only flaw, IMO, is that the original design has a battery bank outboard of each engine, which makes service on that side challenging at times. Like others have done, I'm consolidating the house banks into a single large bank on the aft platform opposite the gen set (labelled tool chest/watermaker in the diagram).

Last edited:
I'm 5'11" and can stand up in almost all of our ER. We have the same bulkhead door as the Defever 44 and 49. Way easier access than floor panels.

Second the Defever 50'. Saw one earlier in the year at Trawlerfest and loved it.

I am beginning to compile a list of features that would be nice to have in a trawler. One is a engine room door or bulkhead with walk in access as opposed to lifting stairs or hatches to get in and (wait for it) 6' headroom within? I realize that this is at odds with another search parameter I like, and that is to buy the smallest boat that has everything we need aboard and 2 can comfortably handle - which for us could be in the 44' to 58' range - but I fear this kind of engine room I describe may only appear on trawlers a lot bigger than this. Are there any +/- 50' trawlers known for having awesome engine room access and headroom?

I'm thinking this one might work, but it is about 40' too big :) Gorgeous looking boat though...
Most of the Cheoy Lees have 7ft head room My Cheoy Lee 50 tri cabin has 7ft+ and walk round engines. Acess is through the master cabin a pair of doors 5'x5' Through which anything can be carried. Plus the usual main deck e.r. door and lantile. You can easily stand 10 people in there for a cocktail party!

The Diesel Ducks have a nice engine room. It's more up to what builders wallet is to how nice it's finished out. It's not huge, but very well laid out to where you can get to everything.

I had a lot customizing done to my Duck plans before it was built. My engine room ended up at 5'9” a couple inches short of the plans, but still gives me head room.

Aren't great harbors offering good headroom?

Headroom is a function of boat size and layout.

Sometimes it is abundant due to boat size...sometimes it is convenient...like down the middle of a twin engine vessel yet the outboard sides of the engines and corners are all but inaccessible.

Headroom is great but not nearly as important is accessibility. I have completely rearranged my engine room so everything is right in front of me except some newly installed plumbing and wiring.

Headroom is more glamour than substance on a boat that cant afford it...if its there and the space usage wise and the rest of the boats works....GREAT! Just not that many until the mid forties and up....then I think many great boats afford it to a degree.

Last edited:
Aren't great harbors offering good headroom?

You bet. The N-Series 37 and 47 cant be challenged fro the same length. The 37 must be at least 5.5' on entry and the 47 must be another foot at least. Maybe Kraftee can confirm that.

Californian sundeck boats have NEARLY stand-up spaces. a Cheoy Lee has a nice stand-up space too. We also saw an Ocean Alexander, 48 maybe?, that fit your criteria.

On the other side of the coin... SeaRay Sedan Bridge and Bayliner 47xx have to most unfriendly spaces I have ever seen. :) There may be worse ones, but these are just personal observations based on recent shopping.

Last edited:
Californian Sundecks do not compare to the Defever Sundecks....IMO

Krogen 39 has a stand up entry and initial 4-5 ft. or so with a nice work bench and tool area. I was also impressed by a late model Selene 36 that I could nearly stand straight and walk around the single Cummins. More than that was the actual machinery layout which helped access enormously. This was also the real asset of the N-series Great Harbours, with a nearly 16 ft. wide ER. Things were easy to pull up a stool and wrench away.

I had reasonable access between engines. That worked for general maintainance. For more extensive work I just lifted the salon floor

Krogen 39 has a stand up entry and initial 4-5 ft. or so with a nice work bench and tool area. I was also impressed by a late model Selene 36 that I could nearly stand straight and walk around the single Cummins. More than that was the actual machinery layout which helped access enormously. This was also the real asset of the N-series Great Harbours, with a nearly 16 ft. wide ER. Things were easy to pull up a stool and wrench away.

Pardon my language...but I would have a full blown stiffy if I could just sit down next to my engines and wrench away

Pardon my language...but I would have a full blown stiffy if I could just sit down next to my engines and wrench away

Just be careful with the amount of torque you employ :eek:

Mee too. It would give a whole new meaning to a "stand up" engine room.

I am 6'2" and bulky. A stand up, walk around engine room without having to open an overhead hatch is a big priority for me. The Grand Banks 49 Classic and 49 Motoryachts we chartered fit the bill for me just fine.

Best of all in my opinion is the split engine rooms on the older Hatteras motor yachts starting with the 53.Two real doors on each side to the front and rear of each engine, great walkway on the front and outside of the engines (even better on my 18'2# 56) and ton's of headroom.. maybe 6'8" or more. If for some reason you need to get better access to the inboard side of engine, removable panels are there. Between the engine spaces is the companion way to the aft stateroom from the galley. Engine room checks while underway are easy and fast.

All modern Hatteri have big high single ERs. You know you've got a roomy Er when you start thinking about how you could mount a basketball hoop in there.

yeT0JkhmK2MQmEZkAPjRjg975j9_ZjTpKS3Pnm2I__U=w906-h679-no

On our Selene the engine room isn't standup for me but it almost is for my wife. It's tall enough to make walking around hunched a bit fine, but I can sit all around the engine on both sides to work on it. Don't need the extra headroom.

I hate hunching. For one thing, that means a klutz like me is going to be banging my head all the time; things are already rattling enough in there.

The 47' Nordhavn has a stand up engine room and a full height door for entry. There is full access to all sides of the engine as well.

Here's what mine looks like:

engine.room.20_std.jpg

The 47' Nordhavn has a stand up engine room and a full height door for entry. There is full access to all sides of the engine as well.

Here's what mine looks like:

engine.room.20_std.jpg

Boydski wins!!!!! He has engine room art!!!!!! Stiffy on top of stiffy!!!

I was looking at that also!!! that's awesome !!

Back
Top Bottom