Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Open Flame on Dock

I am seeing more and more marinas with a no open flame policy on their docks and on your boat. No gas grilling with the Magma in other words.

Sometimes these marinas will have a couple of decent gas grills off the docks for tenants to use but others have none or an old beater of one.

I wonder if this is strictly an insurance requirement or have I missed the news of boats burning because someone was grilling aboard??
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #2

City: Valley Cottage NY
Vessel Name: Savage
Vessel Model: Seaton 50 expedition trawler
I once witnessed a Marina fire with many boats damaged. Started with an onboard grilling mishap..Nuff said.
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2savage View Post
I once witnessed a Marina fire with many boats damaged. Started with an onboard grilling mishap..Nuff said.
Do you drive a car?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
I am seeing more and more marinas with a no open flame policy on their docks and on your boat. No gas grilling with the Magma in other words.

Sometimes these marinas will have a couple of decent gas grills off the docks for tenants to use but others have none or an old beater of one.

I wonder if this is strictly an insurance requirement or have I missed the news of boats burning because someone was grilling aboard??
My marina has the policy of no open flame on the dock. OK to grill on the boat however.

Actual policy is:

Open Flame:

No vessel will be unattended while an open flame device is operating
on board.
An open flame device is any stove, furnace, lamp, heater, fireplace, peat,
kerosene, fuel oil, diesel oil, alcohol, gasoline or similar
fuel, candle, fuel burning lamp, open flame lantern, or any
similar device which provides light or heat by means of a
covered or visible flame or hot coals or embers.

A vessel shall be considered “unattended” if no
person having attained the age of 12 years is
physically present upon the vessel.

No cooking or open flames
of any sort shall be allowed on the walkways, wharves, docks, or piers of the Marina.

Fireworks of all types are prohibited at all times
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
What S41 pasted above is pretty much what my marina says, minus the part about unattended. They don't have that requirement. But, who is going to toss dinner on the Magma then leave it? Burned steaks are not my thing,
Old 04-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Could mean IF you have a propane refrigerator you couldn't leave the boat...
Old 04-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Guru

City: LI or Fla
most marina's by us have that rule, usually when I see a rare instance of someone grilling its more of, "what the heck are they doing?!"

That's why I love being away from the dock, grill all you want, your taste of music...
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I've been seeing it as well. That's the main reason I installed an electric grill on the aft deck. Granted the meat doesn't look as good but it gets the job done and I don't have to go hunting for a grill only to find it occupied or unusable.
mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
I've been seeing it as well. That's the main reason I installed an electric grill on the aft deck. Granted the meat doesn't look as good but it gets the job done and I don't have to go hunting for a grill only to find it occupied or unusable.
The small 42 unit condo complex that I recently moved to has the same open flame policy on the balconies. It is really a no propane allowed in the building rule. When I sold my house I had a one year old Weber Genesis Special Edition the cost me almost a grand. I donated this to the condo association to replace the really sorry one they had by the clubhouse and pool. My neighbors thought I was really generous to do this but actually I wanted to keep using it myself. It turns out that the clubhouse is a building and a half away (100 yards max) and I am usually to lazy to walk over there to grill.

SO...I bought an electric Weber Q for my balcony. It is OK, but only that.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
What S41 pasted above is pretty much what my marina says, minus the part about unattended. They don't have that requirement. But, who is going to toss dinner on the Magma then leave it? Burned steaks are not my thing,
I cook pork roasts/loins often on the grill and leave it unattended at times.
Both at home and when on the boat at anchor.
No grilling at all on the boats in my marina or at any other marina in my area that I know of.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I can grill at my dock since it is at my house. A lot of marinas will not let you grill on the boat in the marina due to fire hazard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #12
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
My marina bans open flames except for a gas barbecue on the boat, which is explicitly permitted.
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #13

City: Minden, NV & California Delta
Grilling on the Dock

In the California Delta (Sacramento County at least) where most of the marina's have covered docks the issue is more a local Fire Marshall issue than an insurance issue. I'm sure, however, the insurance companies are quite happy with the rules.

The particular marina that we keep Freedom at has adequate gas barbeques for berther's to use so I really don't miss using the grill on board.
rjwilliams11741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Could mean IF you have a propane refrigerator you couldn't leave the boat...
If you have a propane refrigerator you probably shouldn't get on the boat in the first place.

As for prohibiting open flames on the docks, I'm more comfortable in a marina with that policy. It's a safety regulation.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I have only seen one marina in the last 10 years that allow grilling on the dock. That includes grilling on your boat while tied to the dock. Admittedly, it is frustrating when there are no grills available, or the grills available are banged up.

Interestingly, we Just moved to a new marina this past saturday and my wife had pointed out that someone had a small grill at the end of their finger pier. We were surprised and she was a bit horrified.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We have been in 39 marinas in the past 12 months. We have used our boat propane grill in 22 of them I guess the others must all have had a good restaurant or something. These marinas are mostly pretty well known, like Jekyll, Fernandina, Ft. Pierce, St Augustine, Cocoa and other first rate facilities. We have seen marinas which prohibit charcoal grills but none that prohibited the use of properly installed marine gas grills. The safety record speaks for itself.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #17
Guru

City: Boston Area
I don't know..... I think a gas grill is a pretty safe device as long as its used sensibly. I understand that as a resident of a marina, you deserve some level of protection from a dangerous neighbor.....but this seems to go too far. I can see charcoal being prohibited because that stays hot long after the meal is done, and requiring that grills be attended at all times, maybe even having a fire extinguisher handy....but total prohibition seems Draconian.

Let me ask you guys something.....if it was allowed, would you mind if your neighbor used a gas grill ? Would you use one ?
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #18
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Our marina doesn't have a problem with barbecues. I've set up a gas barbie at the end of the finger alongside the boat during our naming ceremony.
I don't see why it would be a safety issue. What is the difference in risk between open flame on the stove in your boat or on the barbie outside your boat?
I can understand the need to ensure there are no grease splatters on your dock neighbour's boat but where is the increased safety risk?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We see people using them in marinas quite often. It does not worry me. I don't recall any marina fire caused by a gas grill. On the other hand corroded power cord connections have caused many, many marina fires. So if there is a risk from a neighboring boat, the powercord is the place to look.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #20
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Our marina doesn't have a problem with barbecues. I've set up a gas barbie at the end of the finger alongside the boat during our naming ceremony.
I don't see why it would be a safety issue. What is the difference in risk between open flame on the stove in your boat or on the barbie outside your boat?
I can understand the need to ensure there are no grease splatters on your dock neighbour's boat but where is the increased safety risk?
For one thing, it can tip over. For another, open flames and gasoline vapors are a dangerous combination. Boat fuel tanks have open vents and sometimes spilled gasoline.

Sometimes we don't understand the rules because we are not experts in those fields. Not understanding the reason for the rules doesn't make them bad rules.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote