Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #1

Engine Removal/Replacement

In the process of pulling Ford Lehman 120 from my '79 Marine Trader...what are the most viable logistics of getting it out of the cabin? Thanks for any suggestions!
appdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
When I had the engine (old Westerbeke) replaced in my Allied Mistress sailboat in 1994, they had to cut a hole in the cockpit to get the old one out and the new one in! No way that I am going to replace the two old Perkins in the current boat, but I will be curious as to what replies you get to this thread, so as to increase my knowledge. :-)

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #3

We had a customer a few weeks ago that had his 4-53 DD's removed and new Cummins installed, all throught his existing doors of his 42' Hatteras.
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

How did they get them out the door? Just muscle power? Or some sort of mechanical arm?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #5

I have seen guys place a small "A Frame" over the engine area for lifting and then use a boom extention from a forklift for removal from the cabin area.
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
On a 6 or 4 cylinder engine, removing stuff from the sides of the engine such as intake and exhaust systems, HXs, alternators etc normally allow the lifting devices such as El Sea mentions to work fine. Unbolting from the transmission may be required too. In most boats, the fridge is a bigger footprint than the engines. One of our 3 entry doors was sized to remove engines or fridge - this may be the case on your '79 MT, get out the tape.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
There was a guy working on a boat at my marina (it had been pulled and blocked) who had a long arm mounted on a truck, sort of like a fork lift with only one fork.

He stuck it through the boat's cabin door, strapped the engine to it, lifted it, and pulled it out.

I'm sure there was more to it than that but I didn't stick around to watch.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #8

For those of you without Marine Trader-type superstructures, the engine is approximately dead-center of the boat, several feet and 90 degrees from the nearest door out. Short of side window removal or a hole in the roof, anyone have direct experience removing the engine from this stye boat? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by appdiver View Post
In the process of pulling Ford Lehman 120 from my '79 Marine Trader...what are the most viable logistics of getting it out of the cabin? Thanks for any suggestions!
So can the old engine be rebuilt in frame/where it sits? If so why do you want to repower especially on an old boat?

As mentioned I would stip the olde engine as much as possible to make it light as possible which include internal parts so only the block has to be removed. Once stripped an engine block is not that big and/or heavy that several bubbs can move. The Eagle has a hatch in the middle of the salon floor, so the block would be slip back as far as bossible and lifted out. I would not cut a hole in the hull as then the fuel tanks have to be cut out also.

If you have to replace, I would replace with an engine tht can be rebuild in frame/place. Our DD 671 can be rebuld in frame/place.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
There was a guy working on a boat at my marina (it had been pulled and blocked) who had a long arm mounted on a truck, sort of like a fork lift with only one fork.

He stuck it through the boat's cabin door, strapped the engine to it, lifted it, and pulled it out.

I'm sure there was more to it than that but I didn't stick around to watch.
I guess that is kind of how I thought it could be done -- some sort of mechanical arm sticking in the door and providing the muscle power. After all the attachments have been removed, of course, as has already been stated. And I suppose they change the really big house batteries in the same fashion. Although personally when my house battery needs to be replaced I am going to use multiple golf cart batteries. That is what I had on the sailboat (eight of them) and it worked very well, and they were easy enough to manhandle even for an old geezer like me.

John
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #11

Engine (less transmission) is to be rebuilt and re-installed. All marinized parts already removed. Just need suggestions for removal of 45"x 36"x 28" 1000lb block. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #12

I've seen the long boom are on a forklift here at a local marina. I have a "soft plug" in my ceiling. To pull mine the kitchen cabinets come out, the ceiling trim is removed and the floor of the flying bridge lifts out of the soft gasket plug so a crane can reach the main. I can't imagine what that would cost but at least it was built to allow it to happen.

Dave
Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Once the block is lifted to the floor, plywood and a furniture dolly would make short work of rolling the engine to the doorway where the forklift can remove it through.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #14

Thanks for the many helpful suggestions! I just can't be the only MT-style owner that's ever had to pull out an engine. Guess that's why the smart money back then was on the reliability and longevity of the Ford Lehman...they NEVER wanted to have to pull that baby out!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
Guru

City: Georgia
The engine gets stripped down to the basics, and usually a boom on a lift, could be a forklift, is used in conjunction with a manual or power winch to lift out the engine block and back it out of the cabin. I would be surprised if the boat is not designed to facilitate the removal of the engine in some manner without having to cut holes in the top, sides or bottom. Never heard of having the roof come off though.

Each boatyard could handle it differently.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Strip off all the bolt ons.
A front end loader with a boom or as suggested a fork lift. If the block will measure out the door she go's.
SD
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #17

No boatyard involved...just me and a boom-truck @ $175/hr.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by appdiver View Post
Forklift crane boom and through the pilothouse door. At least that's how I did mine (on a Nordic Tug).
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: -
Don't know how an MT compares to a GB in cabin configuration, but on GBs the FL120 is stripped to the core. The whole main cabin sole of most GBs is comprised of easily removed sections. While the core can be maneuvered through the main cabin door on some models the most common process is to remove the large forward side window just aft of the main cabin door. The arm of a yard crane, or a fork extension on a forklift, is extended into the cabin through the window opening and the engine core is lifted out, turned, and removed through the window. The new engine goes in the same way.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #20

City: Honolulu
Vessel Name: Seabird
Vessel Model: Hershine
Replaced both Perkins 6 354's in my Hershine all through a 24" door. Stripped off manicoolers, starters and alternators and winched them up to 4x6's then hoisted them out with a c frame on a boom truck. Just make sure the operator of the boom knows what they are doing. Also make sure you shore up the floor before setting a half ton of engine on it. Good luck brah.
mrbrzmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote