Old 11-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Glenn View Post
I just talked to Fleming and they said they also have Man 1000hp and Cummins 405hp and maybe able to work with me on other engines. I like the idea of cruising at 10 knots (smelling the roses) itís economical and the top speed of 18 knots to scoot out of the way of things. I donít know much about other engines of this size to pass on to Fleming. My plans are to cruise up to Alaska and then back down to Panama and across to East coast of US. I just didnít want to be stuck somewhere for 3 months waiting on parts or searching for a mechanic to work on Man engines. But after all the feedback from TF, Man should be fine if I can get a list of parts distributors and certified techs along the way.
Wifey B: I thought they offered bigger. And a little secret. If they can put a MAN 1000 hp in, then they could put a 1200 hp and even the newer 1400 hp since they are basically the same engines.

They're use to working with MAN's and fitting them nicely in the space. I'd go with MAN's. A CAT in the same hp is going to be bigger and cut down on ER space. Plus noisier. Now, I know many TF'ers would be happy with the small Cummins. Still, if you want to go slow with the MAN's, you can get better than 1 nmpg at 8 knots.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
I didnít want to muddle the discussion with the boat builder. Itís a Fleming 65. Top speed of 18 knots and Iím thinking a cruising speed of 10 knots. Thanks to all that responded.
I'm familiar with an F65 that swapped out the Cummins for MANs. The swap was done in Sidney BC. The ER looks beautiful, neat and orderly. The vessel has susequently traveled all over whether offshore or coastal.

Be aware, the owner is one of the finest cruisers out there. Call him, I'd guess he'd love to chat. Tony Fleming is his name and Venture is his boat.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #23

City: Annapolis
I had a discussion with a friend who runs boats around in Maine. They’ve seen a handful of lobster boats changing over to MAN. Must be good engines if the guys depend on them daily.
As far as prices on parts and service go, anecdotal evidence does not take inflation into account. I’ve had to question myself when I recall prices from 20+ years ago and compare them to today. I’ll have it set in my mind that a car battery is still $28 and then I’ll just go around the rest of the day thinking that NAPA is really expensive!
Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #24

City: San diego
Vessel Name: Dessert
Kapn. I’m somewhat like you in that I still catch myself thinking comic books are 12 cents and Ice cream cones are 15 cents from the 60’s. I now pay $4.50 for one scoop of ice cream. In fact I can’t even find the cent sign on my I pad. I don’t mind paying a premium for MAN parts, I just don’t want to feel I’ve been gouged like Volvo. I’ve now learned that MAN is a very good engine and I’ll just need plenty of spare parts on my cruise to Alaska. Now I just need to find a good MAN mechanic up north.
Captain Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Now I just need to find a good MAN mechanic up north

I was curious myself if there was MAN support in Alaska, since we make the trip annually. Three google hits showed up for the Anchorage area, nothing for SE AK. That isn't to say, however, that there isn't MAN service available, only that it didn't pop up in the search.

Wrangell is thought to be go-to yard in SE for most anything service-wise - you might inquire with the harbormaster if they can refer you. Petersburg also has a big fishing fleet, so maybe something there. Ketchikan, Juneau and Sitka are also possibilities.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #26
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Kapn. Iím somewhat like you in that I still catch myself thinking comic books are 12 cents and Ice cream cones are 15 cents from the 60ís. I now pay $4.50 for one scoop of ice cream. In fact I canít even find the cent sign on my I pad. I donít mind paying a premium for MAN parts, I just donít want to feel Iíve been gouged like Volvo. Iíve now learned that MAN is a very good engine and Iíll just need plenty of spare parts on my cruise to Alaska. Now I just need to find a good MAN mechanic up north.
"Now I just need to find a good MAN mechanic up north."
There are at least a half a dozen active Bayliner owners in the north pacific that have the Mann engines and discuss them.
Perhaps post what you are seeking on the Bayliner owners club under the motor yachts section and see what they say.
baylinerownersclub(dot)org
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #27

City: Annapolis
Check with RDI Marine in Seattle. They support MAN engines and handle the installations for some manufacturers.
Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #28
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Well Tony Fleming has taken his boat up and through and around and up and down the American and Canadian West Coast. If he trusts the motor, I would be so inclined as long as my wallet could sustain any substantial hit to get some part into an obscure part of Alaska.
rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I would be so inclined as long as my wallet could sustain any substantial hit to get some part into an obscure part of Alaska.
That is an issue with any equipment on a boat taken to an obscure part of Alaska or other areas. There is the issue of how quickly you'll get the part. I've known people to wait long times on car parts, even parts covered under warranty. Years ago I had a friend who drove a loaner for over six weeks because the Oldsmobile dealer couldn't get the parts needed to fix their new car. I've been amazed at car dealers refusing to have warranty parts shipped to them overnight but would only use ground transportation. I was pleasantly surprised when I had an alternator to die on an Infiniti. It was 3000 miles out of warranty but they still covered. However, even more, they had a new one overnighted to them and the repair completed in less than a day.

When you travel to remote areas, you need to recognize the risk of needing to get parts and the cost of doing so. Just don't think any brand is immune from the problem.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #30

City: Detroit
Detroit production

Man produces some of their engines in the Detroit Diesel plant on Telegraph road in Detroit. I think Mercedes Benz owns Detroit Diesel and likely created some kind of joint operating agreement with Man through their shared heritage. If they are making engines in Detroit I would imagine their parts availability would be better than if they were not.
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #31
FF
Guru

"Now I just need to find a good MAN mechanic up north"

If you don't have one the first thing you need to find is "Da Book," the factory maint and repair manual (usually $150 or so) that any mechanic will need.

It will have all the info left out of the Operators Handbook .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #32
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Now I just need to find a good MAN mechanic up north"

If you don't have one the first thing you need to find is "Da Book," the factory maint and repair manual (usually $150 or so) that any mechanic will need.

It will have all the info left out of the Operators Handbook .
Many online opportunities...

https://www.slideshare.net/jkksejkdm...-repair-manual
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #33
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Here's a recent discussion by some actual owners

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...=#post13076987

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote