Old 12-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
The end of an old guy

I am sad, maby angry on behalf of this 512-year-old fish got killed by the Danish.

I can not see that this old guy to kill even the name of science. The Greenland Sharks (Somniosus microcephalus) will not reach 150 years of age until the age of 18, the long teenage age.

https://www.livescience.com/61210-sh...years-old.html

Think of 512 years of life, the oldest vertebrates in the
world ...

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
The article indicates they COULD be as old as 512.

The tissue gave them a range for the sharks' ages — they were at least 272 years old, and as much as 512 years old. The two biggest sharks — and probably the oldest — were estimated to be 335 and 392 years old, respectively, and the most likely average life span was 390 years, Nielsen told Live Science.

It also does state that they were purposely killed:

The scientists used radiocarbon dating to measure carbon isotopes absorbed by Greenland sharks' eye tissue, working with sharks that were captured as bycatch, the study authors reported.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
Guru

City: Boston Area
once they are caught as bycatch...I'm glad they were researched and not just tossed overboard.....amazing animal though. wow.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I didn't see where the article actually said it was killed. I assumed so, but I was surprised it wasn't mentioned, one way or the other.

Note the bolt cutters to remove the barb from the hook? Could it be they released it?

It certainly seems a shame to kill something that old in the name of science, or even as by-catch.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
OK - lets just say he is only 250 years old. Amazing stuff!
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I`m looking no further, hoping it was released. There are some recognizable old fish in dive areas off Sydney, considered very wrong to spear or harass them.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Guru

City: Boston Area
well....since they had to analyze the carbon 14 in their eyeballs.......I don't think they would have made it....but you never know.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
QUOTE=Shrew;617713]The article indicates they COULD be as old as 512.

The tissue gave them a range for the sharks' ages — they were at least 272 years old, and as much as 512 years old. The two biggest sharks — and probably the oldest — were estimated to be 335 and 392 years old, respectively, and the most likely average life span was 390 years, Nielsen told Live Science.

It also does state that they were purposely killed:

The scientists used radiocarbon dating to measure carbon isotopes absorbed by Greenland sharks' eye tissue, working with sharks that were captured as bycatch, the study authors reported.[/QUOTE]

In Finland, this was reported more closely, and the age of the fish was verified in two ways.

1. the old guy growing fairly sharply 1 centimeter in 1 year and this individual was about 5.5 meters.

2. Age was also confirmed by radiocarbon timing and could be deduced.

I could not send a Finnish article because a few of you are talking about Finland. Science can always justify their doing, now they want to find the author Garlin's genius, the longer life genes, and everyone sees that the prospect of earning money $$ is behind this esearch, so clearly ...

Far from fish but there is the science and the idea of ​​moral science. This video is a campaign of "science" against artificial intelligence which can be cute to develop. The video does not fit sensitive!

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote