Emergency escape hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe check out those telescoping stainless steel ladders that they make for swim platform. They hinge and could be folded up against overhead, I would think. Might be easier to use than a rope ladder.

That's a great idea! I agree, nix on the rope ladder.

It seems the lesson here is "Don't just assume...actually test every eventuality". (i.e; Can you actually get out the escape hatches? Can your spouse or guests?).

The better question is 'can the guy ahead of you clear the way quickly enough so you and yours aren't stuck behind left to die?' Safety isn't about one passengers making it out, it's about ALL of them.

Much like the old joke of the bear attacking the tent. One guy stops to put on his shoes. The other says you'll never outrun a bear! To which the 1st guy replies, I don't need to outrun the bear, I only need to outrun you. Now, don't think I'm making light of the situation, as it was certainly tragic. But sometimes a bit of levity lightens an otherwise terrible load.

I suppose the next time we're all out on the boat I should get a better feel for how well everyone on board is able to deal with likely emergencies. A PFD tossed into the water and some un-aided attempts at the throttles could be an enlightening MOB test. Likewise how to deal with the radio and speedy deployment of the dinghy.

The LA Times has been running a series of articles that have been updated every few days.

They also had a nice write up on each of the passengers dated 9/8/19: "United by a love for ocean, these are their stories".

Any information why 5 crew were up on deck at 3.30am? Maybe that`s normal prep for the day, maybe not?

One account I've read said their normal quarters were on the bridge deck. External pix I've seen of the sister ship show ample space for such.

I used to perform Vessel Safety Examinations for USCG Auxiliary. I would fail a boat if it had a dinghy cradled above the front hatch blocking the forward room. The owners would complain that they spent a lot of money to have it installed. I patiently explained it was a "Safety" exam. "Safety" can sometimes be expensive.

It strikes me that virtually every sportfish convertible with a dingy on the bow (and many without one) would fail. We're all paying closer attention in light of this tragedy, but doesn't this make convertibles inherently more dangerous than other boat styles?

What makes them inherently more dangerous is the dinghy mounted over the hatch. That usually does not come from the boat builder that way, usually an add on item.

... we had a rope ladder just for this. It was absolutely useless. When she put her foot on a step, the lower 75% of the ladder would just 'tuck' under the boat.

Exactly right. My buddy gave me an expensive rope ladder for our little center console and we could never use it. And that's for recreational purposes - not to mention pulling someone out of the ocean.

I made good use of that expensive ladder by donating it to my gardener, then went to the local welder in town and welded up one from mild steel. Worked fantastic. Just had to keep the paint on it.

I used to perform Vessel Safety Examinations for USCG Auxiliary. I would fail a boat if it had a dinghy cradled above the front hatch blocking the forward room. The owners would complain that they spent a lot of money to have it installed. I patiently explained it was a "Safety" exam. "Safety" can sometimes be expensive.

On my little 34' I have 8 extinguishers. My wife laughed at me when I put one in the head.

I wonder if there are specific regulations (USA / Canada) in terms of number of fire extinguishers on-board, safety exits and other safety precautions for recreational boats. I remember having a couple of fire extinguishers and they were inspected, but what about number of them? Emergency Exits?

It strikes me that virtually every sportfish convertible with a dingy on the bow (and many without one) would fail. We're all paying closer attention in light of this tragedy, but doesn't this make convertibles inherently more dangerous than other boat styles?

On many of them, hatches are located out board of where a dinghy would go. Especially those made from scratch for a new owner. It is inevitably an after market installation that runs afoul.

I wonder if there are specific regulations (USA / Canada) in terms of number of fire extinguishers on-board, safety exits and other safety precautions for recreational boats. I remember having a couple of fire extinguishers and they were inspected, but what about number of them? Emergency Exits?

Yes there are specific requirements for fire extinguishers depending on the size of your boat.

Maybe check out those telescoping stainless steel ladders that they make for swim platform. They hinge and could be folded up against overhead, I would think. Might be easier to use than a rope ladder.

Thanks Jack. I will look into this right away. Great idea.

If you have a bulkhead next to the hatch maybe a folding step. Sailors use them on masts. They stow in very little room when they are not in use.

This link will take to the Canadian boating safety guide which answers your questions. Also you can contact your local Canadian Power and Sail Squadron for a free boat Recreational Vessel Safety Check

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/TP-511e.pdf

It is common sense that every cabin should have two ways of egress and I am sure that was the case in the dive boat accident. Exit or not, if it is blocked by fire you have a huge problem. If everybody on board is not drilled in what to do it, how to do it and have practiced it, that is a disaster in the making. Who listens to the explanations on an airline? Anybody who has been in a fire can tell you it is hell, you can't see, you can't breathe and the idea of going towards the fire is not logical, nor is retreating deeper into the cabin. Only preparation, knowledge of the exit route with a survivors mentality can hope to give you a chance of survival. Time in these situations is measured in seconds not minutes. I grieve for those people and for the survivors. How many of you have fire drills and man overboard drills or even simple radio training? Do you and your crew really know how to deliver a Pan Pan or worse yet a SOS? Chances are it is the skipper who is trouble so who in the crew knows what to do and what to say? We read about accidents all the time but how many of us arm chair skippers prepare ourselves and our crews for that moment we all dread?

Like they say in prizefighting and the military...plans are only good until the first punch lands or the first shot is fired. Without a lot of training and testing under "fire" even the occasional practice or "safety cards" won't overcome most peoples reactions and panic will ensue.

2 ways out of a vee berth? Many have them already but there's not necessarily a lot of flexibility with all designs or layouts.

The key is early detection with backups long before someone has to exit THROUGH an inferno.

Beyond having a hatch, making sure it is relatively easy to get out of it is important. In many of these I've seen, including our forward cabin, the hatch is relatively high. Most people, especially older, don't have the upper body strength to hoist themselves out of a hatch without a ladder or something. The solution can be as simple as having easy access to a step ladder and telling people how to use it. It just has to be simple since it is likely to be dark. Depending on a Fireboy assumes a source of the fire, problem is that I've seen a boat fire caused by charging computer, the engine room halon didn't save the boat (burned to the waterline and sank) .

BTW, one other practice we've adopted is shutting OFF the inverter (to shut down outlets) when asleep or away to make sure that any phones/computers that are charging are shut down.

I will only add that this is a great concern of mine every time the subject comes up about how to keep thieves and intruders out of the boat. Lots of people seem to think bars over hatches and entryways are a good idea. They may well be, but they had better be really quick and easy to open from the inside, in case of an emergency!

Hobo has basically the same set up as Ted as does every other KK42. Having to pull myself/Lena through the hatch while standing on the berth or trying to pull her up from the deck, the thought is scary. It’s time to rethink and practice emergency egress. It also looks like a ladder.

And a ladder it is. Smaller than I thought and it stores well. I used it to work on our van’s roof and played around with it to generally get familiar with it. Pretty slick engineering to say the least. We paid $52 for it and have no complaints.

Attachments

• 4C532FF7-DEBD-45F2-9393-420EB88CF46E.jpg
    4C532FF7-DEBD-45F2-9393-420EB88CF46E.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 39708795-078D-49FA-940B-8A8E855FA1BF.jpg
    39708795-078D-49FA-940B-8A8E855FA1BF.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 15160BAE-5E33-4F03-8ED9-83B5FE538956.jpg
    15160BAE-5E33-4F03-8ED9-83B5FE538956.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 41
  • 19FD73BD-EB73-4F84-9619-1A517F0B561A.jpg
    19FD73BD-EB73-4F84-9619-1A517F0B561A.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 44
Good idea. I’m going to purchase one. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom