Emergency equipment??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would recommend attending a safety at sea course. We did pool work with rafts, suits, etc. In a controlled environment, no wind, perfectly healthy( no injuries, fatigue or sea sickness) daytime pool, things were almost impossible. The first time I almost drowned was trying to get into a life raft. Trying to flip a large raft is impossible. You carry so mich water in foul weather gear... Having a raft for 8 with a crew of two is a bad idea.

I kinda agree w/ psneeld. But to each his own

Weather conditions are everything, whether at sea, the Arctic, mountains, desert, etc.

Get caught in extreme conditions and your chances for survival slip immeasuably.

Stay in benign conditions, and you have done you and rescuers a big favor.

Last edited:
I would recommend attending a safety at sea course. We did pool work with rafts, suits, etc. In a controlled environment, no wind, perfectly healthy( no injuries, fatigue or sea sickness) daytime pool, things were almost impossible. The first time I almost drowned was trying to get into a life raft. Trying to flip a large raft is impossible. You carry so mich water in foul weather gear... Having a raft for 8 with a crew of two is a bad idea.

I kinda agree w/ psneeld. But to each his own

Hi,

Taking into account if still normal clothing that gets wet when wet and makes it difficult to move and if you are heavier than normal and you are not a force man, you have access to liftrafts really difficult and cheap on the ferry almost impossible even if you do not wave because the level of climb is bad.

Everyone should go for this kind of course where to test. We also have a huge swimming pool where you get a big wave, hard wind, rain, darkness almost hellish conditions to try

img2456.jpg

NBs

Interesting post. One question and or comment has not been stated.

Your ditch equipment will in some cases be dictated by where you cruise. Like Psneeld stated on the east south coast a PFD may be acceptable.

For ASD, we cruise in the PNW where the water is around 52f. So I spent some quiet time in the cockpit going through an abandon ship scenario. It was sobering moment.

Although our RIB is not a life raft, if there is time it would be put in the water. We both have cold water emersion suits (Gumby). Attached to the suits is a whistle, mirror, water proof VHF handheld and PLB.

Why a PLB and not an EPIB? An EPIRB marks the spot the ship went down, not necessarily YOUR position. If the Admiral and I get separated, they can still track us separately. PLBs mark MY position, not that of the boat.

We also have a ditch bag, mounted right behind the helm chair. It has flares, first aid, fire starter, ink packs, water tablets, fishing stuff, VHF radio, compass, plastic bags, knife and other small items.

Point being your ditch bag may contain different items based on where you boat.

Last edited:
"Point being your ditch bag may contain different items based on where you boat."

Bases on where in the world you boat , if you cant self rescue you will probably DIE.

Interesting post. One question and or comment has not been stated.

Your ditch equipment will in some cases be dictated by where you cruise. Like Psneeld stated on the east south coast a PFD may be acceptable.

For ASD, we cruise in the PNW where the water is around 52f. So I spent some quiet time in the cockpit going through an abandon ship scenario. It was sobering moment.

Although our RIB is not a life raft, if there is time it would be put in the water. We both have cold water emersion suits (Gumby). Attached to the suits is a whistle, mirror, water proof VHF handheld and PLB.

Why a PLB and not an EPIB? An EPIRB marks the spot the ship went down, not necessarily YOUR position. If the Admiral and I get separated, they can still track us separately. PLBs mark MY position, not that of the boat.

We also have a ditch bag, mounted right behind the helm chair. It has flares, first aid, fire starter, ink packs, water tablets, fishing stuff, VHF radio, compass, plastic bags, knife and other small items.

Point being your ditch bag may contain different items based on where you boat.
A PLB and EPIRB function exactly the same in terms of broadcasting. It is just a matter of when activated and what they are tied on to.

i agree with all the above.

Id spend money on a PLB and a Garmin InReach.
In case of emergency, if out of VHF contact, it's nice to be able to at least text with yur situation. Cost is minimal.

A PLB and EPIRB function exactly the same in terms of broadcasting. It is just a matter of when activated and what they are tied on to.

Oh I agree. But I have the PLBs attached to each our Gumby suits....EPIRS are not normally attached?

On PLB vs. EPIRB, it might be worth noting that most EPIRBs when activated operate for 48 hours while most PLB's work for 24 hours. Might make a difference if you're far from help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom