Old 11-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Embarrassing docking

We had a great weekend on the boat for Thanksgiving. We went North to Poulsbo on Thanksgiving day and spent a couple of nights. We had a slip there at the Marina which is a wonderful spot to enjoy the town of Poulsbo when the weather is poor. The only hitch was that I embarrassed myself on both arrival and departure.

Coming in late Thursday afternoon the wind was 20 kts out of the South. My assigned slip was a bow-in, starboard tie, heading North. The transient docks were mostly empty so there was plenty of room. I was to have the slip all to myself so didn't need to worry about another boat between the fingers.

Things were looking good as I crabbed my way down the fairway to make the turn to port into the slip. I made the turn and was lined up nicely in the finger. Only then did I realize that the wind was more Westerly than I had thought. My son says that the wind shifted to more Westerly, but I think he was simply being kind.

I now was being blown to starboard into the finger dock. I was able to use power and rudder to get the bow away but the corner of the dock was aimed for the hull amidships. The wind was too much for the bow and stern thrusters. Fortunately, a nice owner of a Bayliner 4788 came out to take the bow line and my son was able to step off and help push the boat away so that between the stern thruster and prop walk we were able to keep from hitting the dock. All in all, a poor performance.

Given the wind I used a both a port and starboard bow line, two springs and a stern breast line to keep us secure overnight.

Two days later we went to leave. The wind was only 5-10 out of the South so this was going to be an easy departure. I took off the springs, had my wife holding the stern breast line, and untied the starboard bow line bring it around the aft horn of the dock cleat and back through the hawse hole. This would fall off the horn as we backed out but my son was ready to release it from the boat if it didn't. Great plan.

I had my wife release the stern line and allowed the wind to push the boat forward against the starboard bow line, which swung the stern away from the dock. Then I applied power in reverse to back us away. Worked great until the boat stopped dead in the water, held by something. My son said the starboard bow line hadn't slipped off the dock horn. That was odd... He untied it from the bow, thereby releasing the odd tension which had kept it from slipping off. I then put it in reverse again. This time, the bow swung to port and then the boat stopped again. It was only then that I recalled tying an extra bow line on the port side to a clear on the dock ahead of us. The first attempt the port bow line kept the boat from moving back and caused enough tension on the starboard line so it didn't slip off the dock cleat.

Well, now I was in a pickle. We were 4' from the dock on the starboard side. I was working the stern to the side so my son could step off to get that line when a friendly boat owner came down the dock with a box of doughnuts. He kindly release the port bow line from the dock and we were finally away. Another embarrassing dock experience.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
YOu have now completed your yearly quota.
May the rest of the years play nice.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
YOu have now completed your yearly quota.
May the rest of the years play nice.
If only that were so. I can usually come up with some imaginative and entertaining ways to screw up.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Lady A
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Dhays, No worries!

I've tied up in Poulsbo, with those evil winds on more than one occasion. Not pretty, but pretty humbling.
I feel your embarassment and your pain.

Bill
Tuttouomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Here
Anyone who says they've never done that is lying.

I've never done that
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Dang, it's a good thing you got those two in before the year end. I'd hate to think you would have to carry those over to the new year. That would give you at least four to suffer through next year!
Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Couple of years ago the guy in the sailboat in the slip behind ours was getting ready to leave for a weekend out. We chatted for a while and said our goodbyes. I stepped on my boat and looked around as he started to leave the slip and saw that he had left his power cable connected. I didn't even call out to him, jumped off, turned it and yanked it out as it was getting taught, and jogged down the finger and threw in into his cockpit much to his surprise.

I just laughed and waved and he laughed back.

It's all in the game!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #8
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Been there, Dave (not Poulsbo, but . . . you know. There). Thanks for sharing a great story!
Old 11-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
There is apparently no end to the ____ things that we can screw up. I've done the power line thing as in #7. Happily, no one was there to see, or hear.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
'it' happens. You walk away from it and learn.... or you just walk away. No harm no foul. Wish my little boat was even IN the water. Enjoy the season!
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I've done the power cord thing twice, once while it was hot. Dave... If you'd had your head about ya, you could have told the guy to drop the line and throw the donuts instead of the other way around.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Be thankful you only damaged your pride, could have got ugly. Might have even pulled a Crusty Stunt!

Like, forgot to turn on the thrusters, or didn't disconnect the fresh water hose and rip the hose fitting out of the boat or..........you get the idea.

Have a cocktail when you get back and chalk up another learning experiance.

Cheers!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Takes only 1 AW CRAP, to wipe out 5 ATTA BOYS. Been there done that.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Dave

I hope this doesn't mean you want to hear from the rest of us. By myself, I could fill volumes. NO NO NO!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:18 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Be thankful you only damaged your pride, could have got ugly. Might have even pulled a Crusty Stunt!
I resisted the spoonerizing temptation.
We`ve all been there at some time. As a dock neighbour often remarks at dockings "Every one of those you walk away from, is a good one".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:27 PM   #16
Guru

City: Puget Sound
The transient docks at Poulsbo can be tough even with not a lot of wind. The current seems to swirl in there messing up even the best approaches into the slip... With a crossing wind it can embarrass anyone...
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Anyone who says they've never done that is lying.

I've never done that
I've never done that.

If there are no witnesses, it never happened. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #18
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Don't worry Dave. I've seen lots of questionable docking at Poulsbo. Maybe even a couple of my own.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:02 PM   #19

City: San francisco
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
Docking Fun and Games

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt.
Fortunately, the only harm was to your ego. No need for fiberglass repair!
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:25 AM   #20
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
No damage, no big.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote