Old 11-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
The starting point for any of this is cruising grounds and type of cruising. 90% of the time we're going to be running air conditioning or heat, so if not hooked up to the dock, we'll be running a generator regardless. We cruise mostly in areas that would be uncomfortable without air and occasionally in areas where heat is needed. We live in Fort Lauderdale. Now for those in the PNW the equation is considerably different.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
Most boats are plumbed to heat the water while underway from the main engine.

I think maybe more correct to say "many" boats... given that there are pros and cons to that...

-Chris

Old 11-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #23

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
For those who may be wondering we change the oil every 2800 hours. Yes 2800, I do not understand why some here say every 100 hours or each season for oil changes.
Maybe they are afraid that the oil will accumulate moisture?

I run the heck out of my genny and never think twice.
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Generators have their place. Solar equipped boats have substantially reduced generator usage/needs. You may want to add this to your study collection.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #25
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Quote:
For those who may be wondering we change the oil every 2800 hours. Yes 2800, I do not understand why some here say every 100 hours or each season for oil changes.
That generator is nothing like the Onan, Kohler, Northern Lights, etc. found on cruising trawlers. Northern Lights recommends changing the oil every 200 hours. If you waited 2,800 hrs to change the oil on one of those, it would look like sludge due to oxidation, soot accumulation and loss of additives.

But I do agree about not changing oil each season if you run less than 200 hours in a seasn. That might have been valid in the days of high sulfur diesel which can leave acids sitting in the oil over the winter. But not with today's low and ultra low sulfur diesel.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada, FL
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Marine Builders, Voyager 70
If our boat is unplugged from the dock, one of our generators is always running. I shut the generator and all systems down when we go to shore while anchored though.

We have two generators, so my morning ritual is to check fluids and status of the generator that isn't running and then fire it up and switch generators. This helps me catch any mechanical issues before they are a real problem. We put approximately 600 hours on each generator (1200 hours total) over each summer while cruising the Bahamas. Oil changes every 200 hours.

Our prime directive is comfort and things should be the same if we are plugged in to the grid or disconnected from it.
Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
.............. For those who may be wondering we change the oil every 2800 hours. Yes 2800, I do not understand why some here say every 100 hours or each season for oil changes.
Well, considering how much it would cost to replace a diesel engine, many of us choose to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

If you know more about the engine's needs than the folks who designed it, then it may make sense to set your own maintenance schedule.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:14 PM   #28

With a largecbattery band and modest power management I only run the genny 2 hours a day. 1 in the am and 1 in the pm.

MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote