Old 05-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #41
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I'd heard of Primus stove... but, never looked into it. Anyone on TF have experience with usage... maybe like to share??
Used by hikers. Good control of heat between medium high and rocket thruster engine levels. Simmers poorly.

When used while sea kayaking corrosion may occur below burner resulting in pressurized fuel escaping in dramatic horizontal flames. Not recommended for enclosed spaces.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #42
Guru

City: Sydney
Nothing cooks a fantastic juicy roast lamb and vegs dinner like a gas oven. We have a multi $1000 dollar electric oven in our home and our little gas oven on the boat cooks a better roast or any meat for that matter so I will never worry about anything else.
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #43
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Used by hikers. Good control of heat between medium high and rocket thruster engine levels. Simmers poorly.

When used while sea kayaking corrosion may occur below burner resulting in pressurized fuel escaping in dramatic horizontal flames. Not recommended for enclosed spaces.
Besides our standard Princess 3 burner cook top with full oven, a rather small microwave oven and a propane BBQ [which all work very well - with gen set on or shore power, or propane tank] we also keep aboard a "Heat Mate" alcohol fueled heater. Also would work as small cook stove - if needed. We have occasionally used the heater feature [where and when we boat... most days, not too much need for heat and no AC required]. Never used the stove feature.

Back in the early 1960's Dad picked up exact same unit for warming our boat in NY climate [it was used before or just after annual winter haul out]. Looks, design, color, printed words, functions, workings and model has not changed in 65 yrs. Good run for an inexpensive boat/camp heater that works very well. Would be a bit expensive in fuel if kept on high and used often for many hours at a time. Flame adjustment is easy, instant and accurate. Refilling takes a bit of finesse... to do it quickly and cleanly .

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #44
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Nothing cooks a fantastic juicy roast lamb and vegs dinner like a gas oven. We have a multi $1000 dollar electric oven in our home and our little gas oven on the boat cooks a better roast or any meat for that matter so I will never worry about anything else.
My wife feels exactly the opposite having used both in a variety of configurations. She mentions it about every time we use our gas oven here in our new land home.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #45
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
You binary thinkers are overlooking an excellent alternative. I have ScanMarine diesel stove and oven. They came with the boat, but with three years experience, I wouldn't have anything else.

Any issues with soot from the stove? I’ve never seen one of those but my experience with a diesel stove/heater was that it was pretty dirty.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #46
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Any issues with soot from the stove? I’ve never seen one of those but my experience with a diesel stove/heater was that it was pretty dirty.
We had the cook top on a prior boat. Zero soot. One advantage is that an option is a fan that converts the cooktop into a heater. There was a fold down lid on mine that activated the fan, and on a 28' Albin, supplied all the heat we needed, plus cooking. Very nice units, and pretty expensive.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #47
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
We had the cook top on a prior boat. Zero soot. One advantage is that an option is a fan that converts the cooktop into a heater. There was a fold down lid on mine that activated the fan, and on a 28' Albin, supplied all the heat we needed, plus cooking. Very nice units, and pretty expensive.
Delfin, my TF boater acquaintance: You are a dichotomy away-from/off-of/in-respect-to my expectations about you... having read your "leanings/background" in your posts for years now. Just sayen!
Old 05-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #48
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Delfin, my TF boater acquaintance: You are a dichotomy away-from/off-of/in-respect-to my expectations about you... having read your "leanings/background" in your posts for years now. Just sayen!
Yes, I had a dichotomy in the 90's. Helped with the seizures.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #49
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Yes, I had a dichotomy in the 90's. Helped with the seizures.

In all we have to do, now are and will be. When you least expect it - Expect IT!
Old 05-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #50
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:

Absolutely none with the stove and oven.

I also have a big cylindrical SIG Marine cabin heater, and it can be quite dirty if you don't get the combustion just right. But it gives lovely silent heat and the windows provide a nice fireplace feel.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #51
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
My current boat came with an electric stove. I couldn't wait to dump it. Running a generator just to cook doesn't make sense to me. I'm not in a hot climate so a diesel stove serves me well. On the few hot days I use a couple induction hot plates or my bbg that also has a burner and can function as an oven. In cold weather it's additional heat. But I've been cooking on a diesel stove for a long time and I already have the fuel on board. And the stove also heats my hot water tank.
I use less fuel cooking on the diesel stove than I used running a generator to cook on the electric stove. And then there's the generator maintenance and hours.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:26 AM   #52
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
When we bought our boat I removed everything propane and installed a two burner Induction cooktop and Convection Microwave.

AND an inverter which will run both.

If batteries run low I can always start the engine for a few minutes.

Maybe not for everyone but works for us.

Bill R.

[emoji1303]

With today’s technology, a good spread of solar panels and the setup that you described, it seems evident that a boat can be run all-electric without a genset (except for the aircon issue).
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #53
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
The problem with electric is the genset must be running, even if all you want to do is heat some tea water. On the east coast often it's running anyway for AC, but on the west coast and the PNW, this means anchorages are forever plagued with the drone of multiple gensets.
We do not run the generator when using our portable, countertop induction cooktop. Yes, it draws up to 1,800 watts so one must pay attention to battery drawdown. But, the fact is that boaters do have a good electic option sans generator. By the way, we love the versatility of the portable unit.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:29 AM   #54
FF
Guru

"I'd heard of Primus stove... but, never looked into it. Anyone on TF have experience with usage... maybe like to share?? FF - at 5 gal per year do you mean for all cooking needs if you lived aboard?"

Yes ,5 gal of good kerosene will usually be enough for a year of liveaboard .

The big question is how long an oven has to preheat and how often its used.

The Primus has a burner that needs its own heat from operation to vaporize the fuel , so they do not simmer well.

2 cures , a pot spacer for use when very modest heat is needed, or the use of mineral spirits as that vaporises easier than kerosene.

In an emergency the unit will burn diesel fuel, but low temps are not an option then.

Living aboard we would light the Primus as the espresso pot was being readied.

The old style burner (not silent) would make enough HSSSS that we could dive back in the bunk, in safety and wait for the different hiss of the espresso pot to announce coffee is ready.

A large Tea kettle would replace the coffee pot , with a low burner there was plenty of time to drink coffee and the hot water was used for galley chores.

In winter the tea kettle would be placed on the Dickinson furnace , for hot water as needed during the day.

Works as well for NYC winters as for Bahamas northerners.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Most high end (and not so high end) professional chefs have converted to induction cooking. Much more precise control.
I am not a professional cook but am a damn good cook. We have a two-burner induction cooktop and a one-burner butane cooker, both of which I love. However, I find the gas burner much easier to temper. The induction unit is certainly easier than glass or spiral burners but not a gas burner. I watch a lot of cooking shows. I have yet to see a single TV chef using induction.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Our $80 Oster tabletop oven cooks roasts and bakes baguettes just fine.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
My wife feels exactly the opposite having used both in a variety of configurations. She mentions it about every time we use our gas oven here in our new land home.
That's why today's ranges oven are gas burners on top with electric oven below.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #58
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Aside from the potential exterior soot issues (never noticed by those with dry stacks) the diesel stoves are quite nice in cold climates for keeping a boat warm and dry. The great smells of cinnamon buns or bread cooking every day on a drizzly PNW day cannot be beat.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #59
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Absolutely none with the stove and oven.

I also have a big cylindrical SIG Marine cabin heater, and it can be quite dirty if you don't get the combustion just right. But it gives lovely silent heat and the windows provide a nice fireplace feel.

That is really interesting. I have propane and am happy with it. I’ve had propane stoves/ovens on boats for years with no issues. However, if I could eliminate another fuel on the boat I would be happy to do so. My concerns would be cost, soot, and any diesel smell. My wife really doesn’t like the smell of diesel. A diesel stove would be a perfect solution on a diesel powered boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #60
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Wish I had a gas stove rather than an electric at home. Propane gas on boat: no genset, and one less engine onboard to pamper.