Old 05-20-2016, 04:04 AM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
Send a message via Skype™ to dw8928
Electric Boat - Microwave/Convection, Induction Cooktop

Hello All: I am getting a personal boat (Helmsman 31) and was wondering what brands of Microwave/Convection oven & Induction Cooktop the collective would recommend. I've noticed Flemings come equipped mostly if not all electric and have this setup. Looks like they use Bosch or Miele. I'm familiar with a prior Helmsman 31 with a Contour M/C, & Kenyon cooktop. Those seem nice enough.

Any opinions based on experience? The boat will have a Mase 3.5kw genset.

Feel free to cut me up on eliminating propane, but I had a diesel oven on a schooner I owned and it was hot like the sun (& dirty); mostly I don't like the open flame and clean up. I basically use a cooktop for hot water, eggs, soup, etc; oven for biscuits and the occasional bird; microwave for frozen casserole etc.

We like to grill fish outdoors to de-funk the salon in advance. I do have a gas range at my house but also miss the easy peasy clean up of my former electric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31-galley-2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	52196   Click image for larger version

Name:	31-LA-to-port.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	52197  

dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:00 AM   #2
Guru

Funny how people want different things...
We are in the process of ordering a new boat now, an American Tug 395 that is equipped with a propane Force 10 stove. As owners of an 11 year old Sabre sailboat we always thought that we would simply purchase one of their express models when we were ready to switch over. We had a great experience building our sailboat and they are an outstanding company...

In the end, we realized that the express/down east style was not what we wanted for a variety of reasons but the one glaring fault with the boat was the lack of a propane stove! The idea of starting a generator in a quiet anchorage to cook my
Flahavan's steel cut oats was a deal breaker for us! Really, we looked at a Sabre and the electric cook top made it easy to eliminate their product line from consideration!

I would suggest that you consider the microwave/convection oven but keep the range in the propane family. Force 10 equipment is nicely executed...
If you are concerned about propane safety, I believe they make cooktops that are electric too.

Funny, the other item we are eliminating from the American Tug is the microwave. We don't have one at home and the unit on our sailboat has been used once in 11 years.,,for popcorn!

Have fun shopping!
Bruce

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Can't help you with the brands on the appliances, but like you, I have an all electric galley. When I was looking at boats, propane oven and cook top was on my list. When I bought this boat, just assumed I would swap out the electric oven for propane during my refit. After cruising the boat for 1,500 miles that winter, realized I hardly ever use the stove. Can't live without the microwave and the gas grill is very important to me also. Everything but the stove can run off the inverter, so there's no need to fire up the generator for breakfast. Clearly we are all different in our galley preferences. Go with what works for you.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
FF
Guru

In order to not have to start the noisemaker a few dozen times a day , you will probably need a big buck house setup.

A large smart alt and large batt charger to charge AGMs at a rapid rate and a very very good sine wave inverter.

I would belt a large alt to the noisemaker for better charge rates.

For most folks a sine wave inverter is an excess unless they have large motor loads.

But attempting to use an induction cook top may tax the waveform of a lesser inverter.

I would only purchase an induction cook top after a demo that it will work with your house power , both noisemaker and battery.

Plan B is

The Carib house boat rentals switch on the noisemaker for a light bulb or a toilet flush.

It can be done , weather you like living with it will depend mostly on the installation quality.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

For most folks a sine wave inverter is an excess unless they have large motor loads.
Remember, there are many appliances and ac adapters that won't work or will be ruined with a non-pure sine wave inverter. Learned this the hard way.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I don't think appliance brands matter all that much. There are probably many induction cooktops, combination microwave/convection/IR whatevers to choose from. Nothing special about the marine environment, just read the review for various household stuff...

-Chris
Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Having operated both all electric and propane/electric setups I will probably never have a built in propane system again. All electric, with a self contained gas grill outside.

Size boat we're thinking of will probably have smaller generator running anyways for fridge/AC.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Check the name plate ratings of your potential cooktop/ovens. I doubt if you will stay below 3.5 KW with two "burners" and the oven going simultaneously.

We have a NextGen 3.5 KW genset that powers our two "burner" cooktop, microwave and coffee pot. We run the genset roughly twice a day to power these: the coffee pot in the morning and the cooktop in the evening to fix dinner. In between we use the microwave to warm something up, maybe a cup of coffee, but on the inverter.

If I hang out on the hook for a couple of days, running a small genset twice a day for a half hour in the morning for the coffee maker and an hour in the evening to cook and heat up hot water for showers later, also keeps the batteries nicely charged. I do have to manage the load on our 3.5 KW genset- I only switch on the water heater after I finish with the cooktop.

So even like some of you above, I was initially opposed to an all electric kitchen, in practice it works fine.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We are all electric. No propane on any boat. Never have, never will, just personal preference.

Miele makes excellent appliances but not saying they're the only ones by any means. We do very much like our Miele however, even more when it comes to things like washers and dryers. They are one of the few that actually targets marine applications.

I also like Kenyon products, both their induction cooking and their electric grills. They are definitely leaders plus a very good company to work with. The only other electric grill that performs equally without smoke and flare is Gaggenau. They're also great but if you live in the US, service from Kenyon is more convenient. Kenyon and Gaggenau are both usable "indoors" which means I don't have a problem using them under a hardtop or overhang. Electrichef now is offering marine grills but they only offer 220 volt models (preferred but Kenyon also offers 110) and I do not know about how much they flame or smoke, having not used one. They really look very much like copies of Kenyon.

I think your generator is undersized for the boat you're getting. Is this a new build or what? Why a Mase generator? They may be fine generators, but parts and finding mechanics with familiarity may be issues.

I would want at least a 7 kw generator on an all electric boat in your size range, although sizing is very dependent on air conditioning and on how much laundry you do and the number and size of freezers and refrigerators.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I just realized that the Helsman 31 is the old Camano. I chartered one of those several years ago. Is there room for a genset? I realize that the V6 Seasall (never heard of one) will be a bit shorter than the Volvo that was standard on the Camano. But it will be a shoehorn and make maintenance on the main engine as well as the genset tougher.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I like the idea of two generators on an all electric boat if the boat is used for cruising to out of the way anchorages. Shared an anchorage with an all electric boat for a couple of days while we waited until the heavy weather passed. Their generator was out and they couldn't cook, make water or do laundry. With no restaurants or stores around they survived but didn't enjoy it. They could charge the batteries using the main engine but didn't have a 220v invverter.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #12
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I have an old 1970 electric boat, an old Princess stove runs off 120vac. So does the fridge
I have a 6500 watt Onan generator. And I added a 3000 watt MSW inverter.
The inverter can run the stove and oven and microwave.

Only thing the inverter cant run is the 16K btu cruisair heat pump. Infact I tried it twice and burnt out the same inverter twice. So this 3rd rebuild of the inverter, I put a relay on the output, if the inverter turns on, it cuts output to the AC line running to heat pump, so hopefully failsafe.

My inverter, if it senses a significant load, boosts the VAC. I see that happen on the digital Volt and amp meters. So if VAC drops it can somehow compensate. Or the digital meter is goofy. This is quite obvious when running the microwave, as it cycles the magnetron.
So 1600 watt microwave running, no magnetron on, VAC may say 110v. When magnetron kicks on, VAC may jump to 117v.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would want at least a 7 kw generator on an all electric boat in your size range, although sizing is very dependent on air conditioning and on how much laundry you do and the number and size of freezers and refrigerators.
I'll step way out on a limb and take a WAG that no laundry will be done aboard, possibly no AC as the op is in Seattle and the single freezer will be inside the 3 or so cubic foot fridge. Might have a fridge on a flybridge but I doubt it. And it would still be a really well equipped 31 footer.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'll step way out on a limb and take a WAG that no laundry will be done aboard, possibly no AC as the op is in Seattle and the single freezer will be inside the 3 or so cubic foot fridge. Might have a fridge on a flybridge but I doubt it. And it would still be a really well equipped 31 footer.
You're probably right. Still I'd evaluate my electric requirements carefully. 3.5 just seems very small.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #15

No laundry for sure as it is 28 feet inside. BUT will have reverse cycle AC as this boat will get an East Coast visit eventually but it also gets warm in Seattle sometimes as well. It will be stored on Lake Union or maybe the Duwamish initially - water temps are usually 50F or above. So some juggling of electrics on occasion but I am accustomed to this from my non-genset sailboat.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #16

Limited space for a genset as the boat is only 28 feet on the interior - genset will be in the lazarette area.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
Limited space for a genset as the boat is only 28 feet on the interior - genset will be in the lazarette area.
Which model Mase are you talking about?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I just realized that the Helsman 31 is the old Camano. I chartered one of those several years ago. Is there room for a genset? I realize that the V6 Seasall (never heard of one) will be a bit shorter than the Volvo that was standard on the Camano. But it will be a shoehorn and make maintenance on the main engine as well as the genset tougher.

David
Some Camanos have been fitted with gensets but it's a tight fit and a maintenance hassle. We're talking about a pretty small boat for cruising and every bit of space counts.

Personally, I'm happy with propane and a Force 10 stove/oven along with an inverter and microwave. And unlike some folks, our microwave gets a workout.

Firing up a genset to brew a cup of coffee seems like a hassle. Everyone I know has problems with their gensets because they don't get enough use.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
...... I would want at least a 7 kw generator on an all electric boat in your size range, although sizing is very dependent on air conditioning and on how much laundry you do and the number and size of freezers and refrigerators.
There's not much point in sizing the genset higher than the boat's electrical capacity. If he's talking about what I think he's talking bout, it's got a 30 amp electrical system.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I would suggest that you consider the microwave/convection oven but keep the range in the propane family. Force 10 equipment is nicely executed...
If you are concerned about propane safety, I believe they make cooktops that are electric too.

Funny, the other item we are eliminating from the American Tug is the microwave. We don't have one at home and the unit on our sailboat has been used once in 11 years.,,for popcorn!
Bruce, I have always used propane for cooktop and oven. However, I have had microwaves on my last three boats and like that convenience.

Being in the SE, will your boat have Air Conditioning? I like propane, but if I lived in a region where I felt I needed AC, I would likely go with an electric galley.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, gas