Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #41

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
Send a message via Skype™ to dw8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
OK, let me be more specific about the Seasall engine.

These three manufacturers: Yanmar, Cummins and Mercury know a thing or two about the US marine engine business, and they screwed it up. Seasall/Hundai know nothing. Can they make it in this market????

David
They do have a dealer network with a Texas based distributor:
Dealer Locations Hyundai SeasAll Diesel Engines

dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:35 PM   #42

Quote:
OK, let me be more specific about the Seasall engine.

I would install the JD in that boat if I was willing to go slow, 10 kts or less. If I wanted to cruise in the high teens I would look for some more displacement either in the Cummins or Volvo line.

David
Why go slow without a choice? I can just keep the Seasall 270 at a slower RPM and go slow. And in today's world, how many cars or boats do you see on the side of the road broken down for engine troubles regardless of make? Really, almost none. And diesel engines are a lot more reliable than those engines. Here is a brief writeup on the H31's use for the engine:

Hyundai SeasAll

Seasall is sold in 27 European countries at this point including Russia; and now the US.

And it is a quiet engine - promise.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #43
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
I like the idea of two generators on an all electric boat if the boat is used for cruising to out of the way anchorages. Shared an anchorage with an all electric boat for a couple of days while we waited until the heavy weather passed. Their generator was out and they couldn't cook, make water or do laundry. With no restaurants or stores around they survived but didn't enjoy it. They could charge the batteries using the main engine but didn't have a 220v invverter.
That usually means one has four engines to acquire/maintain and also to suffer multiple engine failures.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:50 PM   #44

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Super MAN
Vessel Model: Terranova Explorer
on all 3 trawler we had we switch by Propane cooker we don't like run generator to cook but we leaving onboard full time whiteout shot power.

we make microwave on inverter

If you install generator don't take high RPM 3600 that really bad generator :bang head:

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:22 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101TUG View Post
on all 3 trawler we had we switch by Propane cooker we don't like run generator to cook but we leaving onboard full time whiteout shot power.

we make microwave on inverter

If you install generator don't take high RPM 3600 that really bad generator :bang head:

Hugues
You have a huge boat! The H31 will only be 28 feet on the interior, so a 3600RPM genset is the default to get the higher 'kw' for the amount of space available as far as I know. Unless propane is used - then the requirements will reduce for 'kw'.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
You have a huge boat! The H31 will only be 28 feet on the interior, so a 3600RPM genset is the default to get the higher 'kw' for the amount of space available as far as I know. Unless propane is used - then the requirements will reduce for 'kw'.
While they don't go quite as small as you're seeking, the smallest Northern Lights and Kohlers are 1800 RPM and Onan is 2400. Mase goes larger even than their entry models before reducing to 1800 RPM.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #47
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
They do have a dealer network with a Texas based distributor:
Dealer Locations Hyundai SeasAll Diesel Engines

Doesn't look like a huge network, to me... Around here, there's a certified Cummins tech on every street corner... and even the Volvo and Yanmar guys aren't too difficult to find...

-Chris
Old 05-23-2016, 07:41 AM   #48
Guru

The entire electric vs. propane, how much electric, how to operate electric boils down to one great divide. On one side you have those seeking every possible way to minimize the use of generators, so every additional electric item complicates life just a bit. I'll call this group A. On the other side you have those like us who will be running a generator any time they aren't at a marina so having electric changes nothing and is simpler overall. I'll call this group B.

Now air conditioning is the item that most frequently causes someone to fall into either group A or group B. So, ultimately the great divide comes from location. Freezers, refrigerators, number of guests on board and other things occasionally lead one to group B and heat can if it's electric.

Simply if you're in group A, every electric item has to be carefully looked at. If you're in group B, an additional electric item isn't an issue.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #49
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Doesn't look like a huge network, to me... Around here, there's a certified Cummins tech on every street corner... and even the Volvo and Yanmar guys aren't too difficult to find...

-Chris
How many good ones??? X out the bad ones and then see how many are left?
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #50
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Sharp and GE make good convection microwaves. Have you considered an induction cooktop?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #51
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
WE are former sailors and came to the darkside about 3 years ago. We bought a 1986 36' Mainship with the aft cabin. One our the things to do was to replace the Eletric range with a propane unit for reasons mentioned above. When it came time for us to leave the coast and go inland, one of the things I did not have time to get to was the propane conversion.
I quickly built a very small table for the rear deck and bought a 2 burner Coleman Camping stove and a 20 lb bottle for it. When on the go or anchored out, we use the outside Coleman for cooking. Combined with the inverter, we dont need to fire up the gen set. An unintended perk is that when on the go, the admiral can fix lunch, coffee, tea, etc and be no further than 5 to 6 feet away from me. I dont have to yell or stamp the deck for her to hear me if I need assistance or to alert her of a an unexpected large wake.
After almost 3 years on inland cruising, I have no need to swap out the electric stove knowing I have the Coleman on the back deck. Between the Coleman and a propane grill on the aft deck, we get along just fine while traveling or anchoring out and the electric stove when at the dock.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #52
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
How many good ones??? X out the bad ones and then see how many are left?

Fair enough, but the bottom line is still lots, compared to 12 or 15 or whatever...

-Chris
Old 05-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #53
FF
Guru

"Unless propane is used - then the requirements will reduce for 'kw'."

The charge requirements can easily be handled by wind or solar IF both cooking and the reefer are propane powered.

With a 20# bottle of propane at about $15 that will last a month , and noisemakers costing $5,000 to $10,000 to install or replace and $5.00 to $12.00 per hour to operate the savings are immense.

The "pricless" part is the noise free boat and anchorage mates that dont detest you and your lifestyle.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:27 AM   #54
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
........the "pricless" part is the noise free boat and anchorage mates that dont detest you and your lifestyle.
amen!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

The charge requirements can easily be handled by wind or solar IF both cooking and the reefer are propane powered.

With a 20# bottle of propane at about $15 that will last a month , and noisemakers costing $5,000 to $10,000 to install or replace and $5.00 to $12.00 per hour to operate the savings are immense.

The "pricless" part is the noise free boat and anchorage mates that dont detest you and your lifestyle.
Somehow I get the feeling the only one who detests the lifestyle is you. I don't know where you boat that people don't use generators at anchorages, but clearly not in warm, humid areas like others of us do. Similarly, I don't know what vintage generators you're use to that make so much noise that you find them so offensive. Fortunately, we've not run across anchorage mates that find us so detestable and offensive.

I also don't know in what universe you find a generator more noisy than windmills.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:38 AM   #56
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
If I hang out on the hook for a couple of days, running a small genset twice a day for a half hour in the morning for the coffee maker and an hour in the evening to cook and heat up hot water for showers later, also keeps the batteries nicely charged. I do have to manage the load on our 3.5 KW genset- I only switch on the water heater after I finish with the cooktop.

So even like some of you above, I was initially opposed to an all electric kitchen, in practice it works fine.
My experience is identical to David's. The run-time is reduced considerably, or sometimes not at all, if we're underway during the day and only stopping overnight. We can go for weeks this way.

I have a 7.5 KW genset but find I have to work hard to load it up. For example, heat water, run the range and battery charger simultaneously. Or run the reverse-cycle heat or AC along with one or two other big loads. We could certainly get by nicely on 3.5 KW.

Obviously, if you find it inconvenient to think about your usage patterns, and just want everything to work at the flip of a switch, you go bigger.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #57
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Somehow I get the feeling the only one who detests the lifestyle is you. I don't know where you boat that people don't use generators at anchorages, but clearly not in warm, humid areas like others of us do. Similarly, I don't know what vintage generators you're use to that make so much noise that you find them so offensive. Fortunately, we've not run across anchorage mates that find us so detestable and offensive.

I also don't know in what universe you find a generator more noisy than windmills.
Our thoughts exactly, expressed here many times, and we are avid anchorers and users of moorings, not just for overnights but days and weeks on end.

To me, having a generator and not using it regularly is both neglect and a needless exercise in de minimus frugality. I also interpret people who identify engines as something which will inevitably break as people who neglect them. Just get a sailboat with no auxiliary if that's your philosophy.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:21 AM   #58
FF
Guru

"I also don't know in what universe you find a generator more noisy than windmills."

The wind machine folks have been fighting the noise for 20-30 years and a few mfg now offer a quiet version of blades on new units , or for retrofits .

While a lift muffler setup can silence a noisemaker , the stench of an operating diesel remains.

When air cond , it doesn't matter too much as most all will be buttoned up inside breathing recycled cool air.

On nice evenings when many folks use the BBQ to burn meat or enjoy adult beverages in their cockpits , being in a diesel exhaust aroma area looses much of the allure .

Just because there not shooting holes at the water line , doesn't mean your neighbors love you.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #59
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
"I also don't know in what universe you find a generator more noisy than windmills."

The wind machine folks have been fighting the noise for 20-30 years and a few mfg now offer a quiet version of blades on new units , or for retrofits .

While a lift muffler setup can silence a noisemaker , the stench of an operating diesel remains.

When air cond , it doesn't matter too much as most all will be buttoned up inside breathing recycled cool air.

On nice evenings when many folks use the BBQ to burn meat or enjoy adult beverages in their cockpits , being in a diesel exhaust aroma area looses much of the allure .

Just because there not shooting holes at the water line , doesn't mean your neighbors love you.
After reading countless posts from you about your disdain for the "noisemaker", I find it odd that you still own a boat. In all my years of cruising and fishing, we've never been bothered by the noise of a genset, nor have we been shot at while on the hook due to running the genset.

Perhaps land based tiddlywinks might be a better option for you?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:

So your noise argument was bogus and now you've moved on to a stench argument. If there was truly a stench, we'd be the ones most affected and we're not. We spend time on the decks. What do you do? Anchor right on top of people? You know you're really quite transparent. You have a distaste for anyone not just like you.

We're very conscious of any problems we might cause others, but the only issues I've seen in anchorages are people anchoring on top of each other and getting tangled, anchors not holding, drunken behavior, and people returning to their boats by dinghy at 2:00 AM and oblivious to the fact others are sleeping. And, you know what? We accept it all as just part of the deal. If we want zero annoyance by others, then we best move on far away from anyone else.

Tags
electric, gas