Old 05-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #21

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
Actually the Seasall 270 fits with lots of room left over compared to the old Volvo. And it comes with a built-in push button oil change system. The Seasall 270 is somewhat shockingly quiet and a V6 to boot. I recently considered a John Deere, but they are 4 cylinders (loud and shaky) and too small in HP. The new H31 is a much different boat than the Camano. The H31 is way more solidly built and reconfigured completely inside.

The very first H31 came with a WhisperGen 3.5kw in the lazarette. I was able to run it up the East Coast and the WhisperGen, IMO, was too loud. Plus it needed an exhaust separator in hind sight.
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #22

"I think your generator is undersized for the boat you're getting. Is this a new build or what? Why a Mase generator? They may be fine generators, but parts and finding mechanics with familiarity may be issues."

This is a new build. The Mase fits and it is spec'd for various reasons and has a really nice sound enclosure. 3.5kw should be enough considering the size.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
Actually the Seasall 270 fits with lots of room left over compared to the old Volvo. And it comes with a built-in push button oil change system. The Seasall 270 is somewhat shockingly quiet and a V6 to boot. I recently considered a John Deere, but they are 4 cylinders (loud and shaky) and too small in HP. The new H31 is a much different boat than the Camano. The H31 is way more solidly built and reconfigured completely inside.

The very first H31 came with a WhisperGen 3.5kw in the lazarette. I was able to run it up the East Coast and the WhisperGen, IMO, was too loud. Plus it needed an exhaust separator in hind sight.
I still don't see a Mase 3.5 kw generator. Maybe I'm missing something on their site. What model?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #24

http://www.masenorthamerica.com/manu...stallation.pdf
Old 05-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Ok. A couple of notes on those.

An IS 3.5 is not 3.5 kw but only 2.2. It also is 50 hz.
An IS 4.0 is 3.2 kw and is 60 hz.
I don't think they still have the 5.0
An IS 5.7 is 5.5 kw and is 60 hz.

I'm using max power in each of those cases, continuous power being lower.

Between all those models the difference in size is about 3" all the way.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
......... Being in the SE, will your boat have Air Conditioning? I like propane, but if I lived in a region where I felt I needed AC, I would likely go with an electric galley.
That's curious because running and air conditioner at the same time would require higher capacity in wiring and the genset.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
That's curious because running and air conditioner at the same time would require higher capacity in wiring and the genset.
I would think it would be worth upgrading so managing power would not be as much of an issue. However, my experience is extremely limited. So far, I have been able to heat water, run the microwave, charge batteries, make coffee, make toast, run the fridge and a freezer, flush the head, and run a stupidly large 120V stereo all at the same time on the generator. So far no hair drier, but I like that I can do all the above without having to keep track of what is one and what is off.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
I would think it would be worth upgrading so managing power would not be as much of an issue. However, my experience is extremely limited. So far, I have been able to heat water, run the microwave, charge batteries, make coffee, make toast, run the fridge and a freezer, flush the head, and run a stupidly large 120V stereo all at the same time on the generator. So far no hair drier, but I like that I can do all the above without having to keep track of what is one and what is off.
A/C and a stove/oven at the same time would require more than a 30 amp panel. It's not the number of things you can run at the same time, but the power requirements.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Bruce, I have always used propane for cooktop and oven. However, I have had microwaves on my last three boats and like that convenience.

Being in the SE, will your boat have Air Conditioning? I like propane, but if I lived in a region where I felt I needed AC, I would likely go with an electric galley.
We will be in New England most of the time...
We will have A/C but we are still not interested in an electric stove!
A gas stove is a cooks preference as there is typically more range in temperature and the rate of change is much greater.
If you are heating a can of soup it makes little difference I suppose
Sorry, I couldn't help myself!
My wife says I am very bad...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #30
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
That 50 Hz thing could be an issue...

Programming your automatic coffeemaker will take some extra calculations.

-Chris
Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #31

Well, I am being quoted the following: Mase 3.5KW 60hz 120V 27Amp.

I will have to double back and make sure this is correct because you are right about the spec sheet. It know that the 3.5'B' was upgraded. So I will get the actual specs from the unit supplier to verify. Here is a pic of what the unit looks like. Even 2.7 KW should be enough for this boat. But this part is a work in progress as the specs are still being hashed out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mase IS 3.5B.pdf (72.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 05-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Well, I am being quoted the following: Mase 3.5KW 60hz 120V 27Amp.

I will have to double back and make sure this is correct because you are right about the spec sheet. It know that the 3.5'B' was upgraded. So I will get the actual specs from the unit supplier to verify. Here is a pic of what the unit looks like. Even 2.7 KW should be enough for this boat. But this part is a work in progress as the specs are still being hashed out.
The 4.0 which is 3.2 kw appears to be the same footprint.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:34 AM   #33
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
You might check out the LG "Solardome' multi-function oven...we love it! Combines a microwave, conventional & fan-forced convection oven, grill (top & bottom), etc.. Very energy efficient.

Like others above, no way we would have anything other than a propane cooktop. Safe, convenient and fast; doesn't require genset start-up.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Ok. A couple of notes on those.

An IS 3.5 is not 3.5 kw but only 2.2. It also is 50 hz.
An IS 4.0 is 3.2 kw and is 60 hz.
I don't think they still have the 5.0
An IS 5.7 is 5.5 kw and is 60 hz.

I'm using max power in each of those cases, continuous power being lower.

Between all those models the difference in size is about 3" all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
You might check out the LG "Solardome' multi-function oven...we love it! Combines a microwave, conventional & fan-forced convection oven, grill (top & bottom), etc.. Very energy efficient.

Like others above, no way we would have anything other than a propane cooktop. Safe, convenient and fast; doesn't require genset start-up.
I will check this unit out!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #35
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
If you haven't committed to the Seasall engine, I would rethink the John Deere. The four cylinder has a balance shaft, so it will be smooth. And at 4.5 liters you can run it hard and not have to worry about it. That Seasall engine is 3.0 liters and even though it is rated for lots more hp than the JD, you can only use about half of its 270 hp to cruise with.

Even though the interior is vastly different from the old Camano, under water it is the same. And it must weight a bit more as well. The old Volvo at 3.6 liters and 200 hp could push that hull into the low teens running maybe 125-150 hp at that speed.

If you want to cruise in the mid teens, then neither engine will work. I wouldn't try to pull more than 150 hp from a 3 liter engine long term.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
If you haven't committed to the Seasall engine, I would rethink the John Deere. The four cylinder has a balance shaft, so it will be smooth. And at 4.5 liters you can run it hard and not have to worry about it. That Seasall engine is 3.0 liters and even though it is rated for lots more hp than the JD, you can only use about half of its 270 hp to cruise with.

Even though the interior is vastly different from the old Camano, under water it is the same. And it must weight a bit more as well. The old Volvo at 3.6 liters and 200 hp could push that hull into the low teens running maybe 125-150 hp at that speed.

If you want to cruise in the mid teens, then neither engine will work. I wouldn't try to pull more than 150 hp from a 3 liter engine long term.

David
I've run this Seasall engine up the East Coast. It can be run for 10 hours a day or 3,000 hours/year. It is not continuous duty for sure but don't really need that in this boat. It will get the H31 (Camano) up to 18 knots and that is faster than I want to run since this is really a 13 knot boat. But the Seasall is very very quiet for its size and power and I cannot imagine a JD being anywhere close to as quiet. JD is just underpowered at the moment for this range - whcih will matter on resale.

These engines are also used extensively overseas, but are newer to the US market. Fuel economy is excellent too. So; quiet, smooth, fuel efficient - hard to beat right now.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #37

Here's a good video on YouTube to get an idea of this engine, especially at the end where they have it out of the water:

Old 05-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Here's a good video on YouTube to get an idea of this engine, especially at the end where they have it out of the water:
While I'm sure it's an interesting motor, that video doesn't make your case for low noise. While I wouldn't use a youtube video to judge noise level and engine vibration, that sound at 35 MPH made me cringe. In the video, it's somewhere between finger nails on a chalk board and a 2 stroke outboard from the 1980s.

BTW, sound levels from an out of water engine are intentionally misleading. Running a motor wide open out of the water requires almost no fuel consumption because of no load. The motor would be multiples louder with normal load fuel consumption.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #39
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
OK, let me be more specific about the Seasall engine.

Some years ago, Cummins and Mercury formed a partnership to sell the VW based common rail engines. They were similar to the Seasall: high rpm, high power. A few were sold in the US.

But there was no dealer support. The Cummins dealers didn't want to invest in understanding that engine, because they didn't like it. The Mercury gasser guys had no clue. Eventually the partnership was dissolved and Mercury now tries to sell those engines alone, but I don't know of any builder that installs them.

Now look at the Yanmar/BMW marine engines. When they came out, they were the cat's meow: light, low noise, good fuel economy. But the marinization was for shit: no water cooled exhaust manifold or turbo. Yanmar, who has a good dealer network and should know how to do stuff right, stepped up to the plate, recalled all of the engines, installed a water cooled manifold and a heat shield for the turbo. That got them back in the running.5

These three manufacturers: Yanmar, Cummins and Mercury know a thing or two about the US marine engine business, and they screwed it up. Seasall/Hundai know nothing. Can they make it in this market????

The Seasall does not have a water cooled turbo. I don't know about the exhaust manifold. I do know about the US dealer network, nada.

If you want to cruise at 18 kts with that boat, you will need to produce about 200 hp which was the wot speed of the old Camano with the 200 hp Volvo. 200 hp is 67 hp per liter for that engine. That is off all of the charts for continuous, long term use.

I would install the JD in that boat if I was willing to go slow, 10 kts or less. If I wanted to cruise in the high teens I would look for some more displacement either in the Cummins or Volvo line.

If you are willing to go slow and not stress the engine, then the Seasall might be ok at 120 hp or less as the upper limit for decent engine life is 40 hp per liter. Then you could sell your boat someday to some unsuspecting clod who thinks that 270 hp will take him to the upper teens.

But you will be blazing a new trail with that engine with no dealer support. Good luck.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I do know about the US dealer network, nada.
And what country do you intend to use it in?

That one sentence you wrote would be enough to keep me from buying it.

Tags
electric, gas