Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member
City: Benson,AZ
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Education Requirements

Being newbies to the trawler world we are wondering if there are educational course requirements. Do states require them, insurance?

Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
jleonard's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,581
Connecticut requires a boat operator to get a licence by taking an 8 hour quickie worthless course that makes legislators feel good. IMO it does nothing to train other than make people aware of some things.

Do yourself a favor by taking a Power Squadron or USCG auxilliary course as a start, then spend time talking to local boaters.
BoatUS insurance (and others I assume) do give a discount for being a Power squadron member (the discount pays for my membership fee plus a little). But not for other education or experience as far as I know.

Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
psneeld's Avatar
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,322
NJ is similar to many states...if you live/operate more than 90 days there you have to take their 8hr course...if a transient in NJ have to be able to show some kind of boater's safety training certificate.

Many insurance companies do discount for all kinds of training...some much more than others...experience does count too quite a bit as well as certain safety equipment.

A friend of mine just got refused by a major maritime insurance company because he only had his new boat a year...he is a very experienced USCG 100 ton master though.

Watch insurance companies closely...for being so rich and powerful they seem to be the most idiotic customer service companies of all...then again maybe that's why they are so rich and powerful...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
TF Site Team
FlyWright's Avatar
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,505
I came to trawlering from a small 19 ft Sea Ray runabout. My insurance company required that I get initial training from a USCG qualified Captain to ensure I knew the basics of navigation, conduct of vessels, lights and signals, boat handling and close quarters maneuvering. I also learned a lot about the local waters, best anchoring practices and hidden hazards.

It's normally a 20 hr course, but can be abbreviated when competence is demonstrated. Cost about $60 per hour in my boat. Once completed,the Capt provided a letter to the insurance company that documented our training. I gained a lot of knowledge through the training in addition to making a new friend. A win-win!
My boat is my ark. It's my mobile treehouse and my floating fishing cabin. It's my retreat and my respite. Everyday I thank God I have a boat! -Al

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012