Old 09-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Economy and well built trawler, tight budget....

In the next few days I will know if the Tolly is sold. I promised my wife that we will not be boatless as we are at the steps to the San Juans and love the waters right around our home. This leads me to my quest,
Budget $40k or there abouts. (I know it's tight, but there are good solid boats in this budget). I'll take my time finding the right boat this time around.
Diesel, - economy is one of the top priorities. Going slow - really slow is ok, we make time when we are cruising.
Sleeping for three, wife and husband and growing 5 year old.
I have been attracted to the Willards since the first time I saw them, GB 32, IG 32, etc.
Flybridge would be great but not necessary.
Tender set up as we enjoy being on a bouy or hook.
I would rather have something that would hold it's value as with all things eventually I will sell it to buy another. But would like to find a close family member to enjoy for years to come.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Mainship 34 MK 1 2 or 3. You can get a gold plated one in that range. Down side is v berth.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
You seem to be describing the CHB 34' style boats to a tee. There's no real depreciation left in them unless you allow it to return to the Eco-system as some have.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Hate to just plug my model but a 34 Californian would fit the bill, too. Two staterooms and twin engine redundancy at 3gph.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Guru

City: gulf coast
What's wrong with the tolly.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
We all know where there is a pristine fresh water vessel that fits your desires to a T. And it is an hours drive from where you are!

Talk to Daddyo
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Hahahahahah

Everyone's push'in their own brand of boat.

What owner loyalty!

Oh damn .... Now I can't say anything wonderful about my Willard.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
There were two 34 CHBs for sale in Sidney, BC at the same broker, Bayview ~$40. Decks and tanks replaced. One claimed low hours. One was stored inside.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator

Nothing is wrong with the Tolly per say. It's just the wrong boat for our needs. We usually drive the boat at 7 for economy and I enjoy taking in the scene at a lower pace. We could continuebto enjoy cruising much more economically in a lower hp diesel vessel than one that was originally designed for planing speeds. I have had the boat up on plane at cruise 14-17 and the hull handles much better at that speed than 6-7. I would rather have something that more closely matches our cruising style.
I think Daddy-O is already under contract with his lake Washington CHB, unless it fell through.
Also should I mention the outdoor space for social hour is just as important as the inside. So we tend not to favor the truck style of trawlers.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Everyone (almost) here is pretty sure there semi displacement type of boat is the best way to go. To some a FULL displacement is the best. Almost always it is folks that have "been there done that" and know exactly what they need. Most here all want to say they have a "trawler" when most have a ski boat they drive slow. Unless they want to go fast. So, if you know what you want and the hull type you can narrow your search exponentially. Krogen 42 comes to mind. Or that type. I dont own one and will never but that TYPE is what you need. They have there own set of problems. Not as much so as the tiwaneez kind of boats but problems still. RESEARCH any boat befor even looking at it. Know the known problems to look for. Verify the problems. Better to know its there than to think it had a shoddy fix (krogen 42 kinda stuff by some owners). Verify that any repairs are and have been done CORRECTLY. Not done by well meaning unskilled owners trying to save a buck. I see this all the time. Read here and you will see it also. Read all of the "trawler" forums and you will be convinced that you really need to look hard at any repairs or improvements done to any "trawler" by its owner. YMMV
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My last "complimentary" bottle of wine from the KKMI boatyard cost me $7200. That might explain there is a plethora of owner repairs. Walking on KKMI docks to pick up the Coot last week, someone (not sure a client or an employee) said "was that your most expensive bottle of wine?" ... Leastwise, the maintenance was professional.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Everyone (almost) here is pretty sure there semi displacement type of boat is the best way to go. To some a FULL displacement is the best. Almost always it is folks that have "been there done that" and know exactly what they need. Most here all want to say they have a "trawler" when most have a ski boat they drive slow.
Kulas44,

What's your experience with trawlers? Do you own one? Do you prefer displacement speed or higher than hull speed? Gas or diesel?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I have both ends of the spectrum. A 52 foot James Krogen designed trawler that is about as full displacement as it gets and a 48 foot ChrisCraft Commander 482 sportfisher that depending on speed is a semi planing or planing hull. My trawler had copious amounts of PO repairs and is now being totally redone in my yard. it has DD 4-53s at 120 hp each. My sporty had very little attention from its PO and besides the defered maintenance its in pretty good shape. it has DDE 8v92s at 600 hp each. I much prefer the trawler. I dont use the sporty as much anymore but when we do its at trawler speeds, less than 9 knots. it gets about 1 mpg at that speed. my trawler gets much better, usually 2 mpg or better, as much as 3 in ideal conditions and 8 knots. Of course the sporty could do better with smaller engines and I'm still kickin that idea around. I'm thinking a pair of 3-71s at 90 hp each would be about right. Just gotta get them put together. Good thing about detroits, they're like legos, just get the right stuff and put it together, it all fits. I may get around to it this winter, if I can get them built. I seam to have less time than is required for projects like this.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #14

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
I like your idea , Kulas44 : “Of course the sporty could do better with smaller engines and I'm still kickin that idea around. I'm thinking a pair of 3-71s at 90 hp each would be about right.”
I have a friend that is looking for one of the older Hatteras to purchase and convert into a trawler by replacing the old tired Detroit’s with smaller lower power non turbo diesels and travel at trawler speed.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #15
Guru

smaller engines don't mean better economy. If you need 50 HP to move your boat you need 50 HP regardless of engine number or size.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #16
Guru

bs:

you will not likely get better economy though handling will be different. The cost of selling and buying will never be recovered by fuel savings.

Find another reason for wanting a different boat.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: -
There are 15 billiion Tollycrafts for sale in this area (PNW). If you're okay with a gas engine, your budget will easily cover the cost of a really nice Tolly 26 and pay for a whole lot of moorange, insurance, and all the other never-ending expenses.

You can also check out the next size up Tolly, which I think is a 34 (I don't know if they made a 30). A lot of Tollys are gas although some have been converted to diesel. Nothing wrong with gas if it's a well-maintained system.

Currently in Bellingham marina (Squalicum) there is a nice Nordic Tug 26 for sale at Northwest Explorations (Gate 3). Don't know the asking price, however.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
There are 15 billiion Tollycrafts for sale in this area (PNW). If you're okay with a gas engine, your budget will easily cover the cost of a really nice Tolly 26 and pay for a whole lot of moorange, insurance, and all the other never-ending expenses.

You can also check out the next size up Tolly, which I think is a 34 (I don't know if they made a 30). A lot of Tollys are gas although some have been converted to diesel. Nothing wrong with gas if it's a well-maintained system.

Currently in Bellingham marina (Squalicum) there is a nice Nordic Tug 26 for sale at Northwest Explorations (Gate 3). Don't know the asking price, however.

Awesome advice Marin but the OP is looking to replace his Tolly 34 he has under contract to a buyer I believe.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #19
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Awesome advice Marin but the OP is looking to replace his Tolly 34 he has under contract to a buyer I believe.
Woops! Ready, fire, aim.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #20
FF
Guru

smaller engines don't mean better economy. If you need 50 HP to move your boat you need 50 HP regardless of engine number or size.

However 50 hp produced by an 80 HP engine will cost less fuel than when produced by a 250Hp or 400hp engine.

The required service , oil filters and an occasional bag of parts will also be far less expensive. Replacement perhaps 1/2, perhaps 1/5 the cost.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote