Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #121

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Made it home with the new Willard on Sunday, three days out at sea. First day it was 8-10 ft swells and she handled it extremely well. So did the crew. We had a few hours of break in between some islands and than hit the Straights. Comox bay was actually the hardest water to cross in the three days. Steep swells with short seconds made for a choppy ride. Saturday was the best with sun and smooth water, one of the best days on the water - what a blessing.

So for those that say finding a nice little trawler (or troller) on a tight budget, look hard . This would be a perfect example of a great package at a reasonable amount. Yes there are projects but right now no heavy lifting. I'll take some pictures soon.

Cheers!

Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #122
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That's wonderful and I'm sure you'll not be sorry you bought a very good boat and paid more for it. I remember you were concerned at first.

How many Willards in Bham now? We have a few in LaConner and there are others on the sound. That makes us all a part of a community and all the better for it. Long time till the "rondy" though.

Got a slip in Bham? Covered 30' is about $270 in LaConner. Worth mentioning as I know there's no covered in Bham. There are at least 4 Willards in covered moorage in LaConner.

Sure glad you bought this boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #123
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Made it home with the new Willard on Sunday, three days out at sea. First day it was 8-10 ft swells and she handled it extremely well. So did the crew. We had a few hours of break in between some islands and than hit the Straights. Comox bay was actually the hardest water to cross in the three days. Steep swells with short seconds made for a choppy ride. Saturday was the best with sun and smooth water, one of the best days on the water - what a blessing.

So for those that say finding a nice little trawler (or troller) on a tight budget, look hard . This would be a perfect example of a great package at a reasonable amount. Yes there are projects but right now no heavy lifting. I'll take some pictures soon.

Cheers!
BIG congrats on successful crossing and fine boat purchase. May all your marine days be continued joy!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #124

Great idea, I do like being only fifteen minutes though from the boat. Having easy access is really important. We're more likely to enjoy a dinner cruise it cocktails and a night on the boat if it's only a few minutes away vs forty five. Right now that I am aware there is three other Willards in Bellingham. So ours makes four.

Cheers
Old 10-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #125

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Congrats on the boat and a successful voyage! We need PICS!!!
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #126
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
1982 Willard 30' Surf Rescue Boat - $29000 (Bay Area)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/4718128090.html
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #127

No thanks, no grace on that one...
Old 10-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #128
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Glad you made it home safe ,Great boat ! Look forward to pics and new post on the Willard . Thanks again for suggesting the Festol Rotex sander and mini vacuum . Great combination I used it today for several hrs . Very pleased .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #129
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
T

Got a slip in Bham? Covered 30' is about $270 in LaConner. Worth mentioning as I know there's no covered in Bham. There are at least 4 Willards in covered moorage in LaConner.

Sure glad you bought this boat.
So I apologize for the thread creep but we looked in LaConnor this fall for a covered 35' slip for The Promise and there was none to be had. We couldn't get on a waiting list because we had to already be " a customer". Sad because we really want to be up there. The prices in Anacortes are stupid.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #130
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Dave,
Sorry that came to pass but covered moorage for bigger boats is tight. But there's at least a dozen 30' slips available. You could rent a slip for me .. be a "customer" and get on the waiting list.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #131
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Eric,

That sounds like an interesting possibility next year. We found a reasonable priced covered slip on the ship canal for this winter and will likely want to find something covered up north next year.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #132
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Bryrick,

We went and snooped your new boat out yesterday. She is a beauty! I'll be around on Friday and give you a shout.

Bob
Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #133

Cool, I either be there or in the shop.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #134

New upholstery going in next week - should have the whole boat done by weeks end. Including a new canvas seat for the cockpit. Almost done with the new table for the salon - need to coat or two in epoxy and varnish/poly. Going to downsize the table to upsize the salon. Moving from a 24x36 fixed to a new 22x18 that opens to 36. I'll post pictures when I have a completed side. I found out that I need to fine tune my 45 angles I was working with 1/4" stock today trimming around the edges and found it quite a challenge. Either my tooth count is not high enough or I need to use a different tool. I tried the miter saw, table saw and band saw - best results were on the band saw but not perfect. I figure this first table will be in the salon for a few years and than I can make another. I really was raising the bar by ripping/making book matched sapele for the top, trimming with maple and than wrapping with walnut.